TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

"Los Angeles city planners recently released a 39,000-page draft environmental impact..."

Somehow, "39,000 pages" and "environmental impact" in the same sentence is kind of funny. That's a lot of paper...

I grew up in the shadow of USH, and my total number of lifetime visits is still in the single digits. Perhaps I'm just a "ride" kind of person. Shows just never cut it for me. I have been to USF and there is more to do there, but USH just doesn't have the room for anything HUGE. 146,000 square feet sounds like a lot, but is only 3.3 acres. Not much in theme park terms.

As I said somewhere else, if Universal were to bring any kind of Harry Potter attraction here; for instance, the Forbidden Journey, they'd have to be creative in order to squeeze it in.

Eric

Moving it is a little betrayal as well. It's awesome right now because it's in the spot where they filmed it. (Psycho House)

That's actually not true. The original location is where the Chicken Ranch house currently resides. And the Bates Motel as it currently stands was built for Psycho II, as the original one was only two rooms+matte paintings and removed.

146,000 square feet sounds like a lot, but is only 3.3 acres. Not much in theme park terms.

146,000sqft is a TON of room in theme park terms. The two soundstages that housed Backdraft (stage 30) and Special Effects (stage 32) that are set to become Transformers was only listed as a total of 25,000sqft between the two.

Edited by Jew

A permanent Cirque theater would be really nice. Read the rumor that Avatar may take the place of T2 in time for the sequels. I can only hope they go with Intamin for their Soarin clone ride system.

In general though, I do disagree with their vision plan to convert a large portion of their backlot into sure to be overpriced condos. It's not like any expansion of USH is going to create high paying jobs, but a series of part-time service jobs. So the new residents on the backlot are likley to be on the upper end of the middle class, and it would likely lead to more nimby fights, in addition to the ones the park currently faces.

These plans are a good idea. I just hope that they leave some original attractions. Fair enough parts of The Studio Tour are old and need replaced (The Mummy Tunnel, Jaws and even Earthquake) but i enjoy Waterworld and T2. I am sure though that Universal will boast new technology on future rides as is their tradition. I hope that the upcoming Transformers Ride is a huge success.

Per Screamscape rumor, USH is looking to bring Harry Potter to the park. Now that is a vision plan that actually is visionary. Between relocating / removing Psycho House and War of the Worlds set, they have enough space to pull off attraction and the village. Pulling in the lake set and the Mummy tunnel, gives them eve more opportunity to have an actual land at USH. Just hope that the Comcast, or whoever winds up owning the park chain, would be willing to invest the capital to pull off an equal or superior to Florida version of the Potter-verse.

^ I really hope that is true. If they take out Water world and the Gibson, they could totally fit a reworked Hogsmead and Forbidden Journey plus a big coaster (station in the area, track going into the backlot area behind citywalk and to the right of it.)

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

I hope its not true. That defies all logistics of what orlando went thru. They aren't marketing it as a "replica" they are making it seem as you are in the wizarding world, which means there is only one...in the world.

Transformers takes place in "the city" ...thats retarded. And the Simpsons already have a ride in an area that cant really be developed anymore. I don't agree with what you said, that USO was making it sound like its "the only one...EVER!" It happens all through out the industry, every chain does it when the find something that works. Why would USH pass on that opportunity if they had it. Or if your so against Harry Potter then maybe another property of equal success and cultural impact. Which the Simpsons and Transformers do not have, as well they will both already have their own rides.

No, what I was saying is that just isnt a section of a park for them. This 'is' the wizarding world and J.K. Rowling didnt want this to be a novelity addition to all the parks. Im not saying it cant be done but I dont know how Rowling would feel about having various hogwarts scattered around the world. First of all it would expensive as hell if stayed true and a replica of USO's version. UO already had the basic rides they just built forbidden journey but if its to be a replica they would have to build 2 expensive dueling coasters, all buildings from stratch and a jr coaster. I know I personally wouldnt want to go to USH to experience it when the same thing is right here on the east coast. I think people from all over the world have shown UO they they are fine with it being just there and didnt mind traveling all the way there.

Now what would be cool is if UH could build a section like it but themed to a different franchise (world of warcraft perhaps).

I think the only part of a USH version of Wizarding World that would be a direct clone would be Forbidden Journey and parts of Hogsmead. The only reason Dragon Challenge exists is because it was already there, same with Hippogriff. Those two rides aren't a necessity for the main theme of WWoHP. Perhaps a USH version would find other creative ways to represent the many aspects of the HP series in a smaller space.

Guys, I don't know how much stock I would put into this Harry Potter rumor. I am pretty sure that J.K. Rowling insisted that IOA would be the only park to get the Harry Potter theme or there would be no deal. Unless, she had a change of heart, there will be no Harry Potter showing up at other theme parks.

Guys, I don't know how much stock I would put into this Harry Potter rumor. I am pretty sure that J.K. Rowling insisted that IOA would be the only park to get the Harry Potter theme or there would be no deal. Unless, she had a change of heart, there will be no Harry Potter showing up at other theme parks.

Was that actually posted somewhere? I don't remember hesrig anything about her not wanting there to be other HP lands at other parks. I'm genuinely asking this, cause ivenever seen that anywhere.

I'd love to see that happen, personally, as long as they build it so as to "balance out" the Orlando version. I'd like to see Diagon Alley instead of Hogsmead just to be different, it could blend in well with the already tight city streets on the upper lot, then lead obviously to Hogwarts. I'd also like to see an alternative version of Forbidden Journey--not better, not worse, but with different scenes. If they do something like that, it could compliment the East Coast version, rather than take potentials away. In addition, the hilly scenery of Universal Hollywood would make for a nice backdrop for the Castle and Scottish landscape, something that the current WWOHP was unable to have due to spacial constraints.

Was that actually posted somewhere? I don't remember hesrig anything about her not wanting there to be other HP lands at other parks. I'm genuinely asking this, cause ivenever seen that anywhere.

Okay, I did a little more research and haven't found anything to prove my speculation. I think it more has to do with J.K. Rowling's control over the IOA project and some assumptions that this was a one-time deal. I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.

If the rumors are true, the village + Forbidden Journey while looking nice is still not that much in terms of a world. As it is now, WWoHP here at IOA is a tad boring as it is a lot of facades and shops with 2 rides re-purposed and a nice new dark ride. Gutting the other attractions that were already there from IOA's WWoHP would be a bit underwhelming, no?

While we are on the subject of Harry Potter, there is a great, thorough, spoiler-filled review of the Forbidden Journey on Inside The Magic.com.

I don't know how to post links - www.google.com - type in " Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Review" and it is the first reply!

BEWARE - IT IS A HUGE SPOILER, but great reading!