TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Michigan's Adventure is a hyper coaster away from passing Valleyfair on the totem pole! We suck! Haha..

It wouldn't even take a hyper, just a kick a** coaster of any type. This is why I want to see CF really treat VF as a 'growth park' like they say and add some attractions so VF does not become the next MiA.

You have that backwards. We dont want MIA to become the next VF

I feel the same way... People are always talking about CF's financial decisions as if they have intimate knowledge of its actual workings (not just what the talking heads SAY is going on), yet nobody appears to actually see detailed, itemized breakdowns for the cash flow to/from the various parks.

Cedar Fair's revenue was $1.16 billion in 2014. Their net income (after all expenses paid) was $108.6 million. Taking a look at the pie chart presented for adjusted EBITDA , you can see how the parks perform against each other. After making a custom pie chart (with exact values) I was able to compare it to the CF pie chart and get a rough estimate of each park's adjusted EBITDA.

20510477842_0c022ec17b.jpg

Cedar Point (25%) - $27.2 million

Knott's Berry Farm (20%) - $21.7 million

Kings Island (12%) - $13.03 million

Canada's Wonderland (11%) - $11.9 million

Carowinds (8%) - $8.7 million

Kings Dominion (7%) - $7.6 million

Worlds of Fun (5%) - $5.4 million

Dorney Park (4%) - $4.3 million

Valleyfair (3%) - $3.3 million

Great America (3%) - $3.3 million

Michigan's Adventure (2%) - $2.2 million

^Well done on the pie chart! That's a nice touch, and it's cool to get an idea of what each park is doing in adjusted EBITDA!

What I'm referring to when I talk about the intimate details of CFs financial cash flow, is more specific stuff, like itemized breakdown of where all the money goes. Stuff that the public isn't ever going to see, only the IRS during an audit or something like that. It's not a big deal, I just don't trust that everything CF tells us is 100% accurate, financially. It doesn't really bother me profoundly or anything - I still like the company, their parks, and wish I would have invested years ago. But it does surprise me that so few others seem to question what they say, when most people are very quick to question the integrity of big business, capitalist industries...

^^I'm surprised Dorney isn't doing all that much better than Valleyfair considering their comparitively expansive waterpark and larger coaster collection.

I think with continued investment in the waterpark, Valleyfair could easily get to Worlds of Fun numbers. Of course, the huge investment that's needed to make expansion even a possibility has been the biggest hold-up.

Fingers crossed it gets approved!

^Well done on the pie chart! That's a nice touch, and it's cool to get an idea of what each park is doing in adjusted EBITDA!

What I'm referring to when I talk about the intimate details of CFs financial cash flow, is more specific stuff, like itemized breakdown of where all the money goes. Stuff that the public isn't ever going to see, only the IRS during an audit or something like that. It's not a big deal, I just don't trust that everything CF tells us is 100% accurate, financially. It doesn't really bother me profoundly or anything - I still like the company, their parks, and wish I would have invested years ago. But it does surprise me that so few others seem to question what they say, when most people are very quick to question the integrity of big business, capitalist industries...

Some of what you're looking for can be found here. Link

2) Interactive Dark Rides being added over the next 4 years.

- Since Quimet said ALL parks are getting one of these we know VF will have one in the next 4 years according to plan.

Not sure where you are getting the "we know we are getting a dark ride in the next 4 years" from. 6 Parks don't have dark rides (VF, CP, WOF, Michigans adventure, Dorney, Cal. great america) so going by the four years and their current trend of one a year, 2 parks will be left out. So there is a decent chance you will get a dark ride, but in no means is it a guarantee.

I feel the same way... People are always talking about CF's financial decisions as if they have intimate knowledge of its actual workings (not just what the talking heads SAY is going on), yet nobody appears to actually see detailed, itemized breakdowns for the cash flow to/from the various parks.

Cedar Fair's revenue was $1.16 billion in 2014. Their net income (after all expenses paid) was $108.6 million. Taking a look at the pie chart presented for adjusted EBITDA , you can see how the parks perform against each other. After making a custom pie chart (with exact values) I was able to compare it to the CF pie chart and get a rough estimate of each park's adjusted EBITDA.

20510477842_0c022ec17b.jpg

Cedar Point (25%) - $27.2 million

Knott's Berry Farm (20%) - $21.7 million

Kings Island (12%) - $13.03 million

Canada's Wonderland (11%) - $11.9 million

Carowinds (8%) - $8.7 million

Kings Dominion (7%) - $7.6 million

Worlds of Fun (5%) - $5.4 million

Dorney Park (4%) - $4.3 million

Valleyfair (3%) - $3.3 million

Great America (3%) - $3.3 million

Michigan's Adventure (2%) - $2.2 million

How are you coming to this numbers? What is your equation or breakdown?

^

You might encounter a few 20-30 minutes lines, particularly for Renegade and High Roller, but other than that, it shouldn't be too bad today.

On another note, to any that's been to VF in the past few weeks, are there any new flags or markers that could hint at where the 2016 addition will be located?

^

You might encounter a few 20-30 minutes lines, particularly for Renegade and High Roller, but other than that, it shouldn't be too bad today.

On another note, to any that's been to VF in the past few weeks, are there any new flags or markers that could hint at where the 2016 addition will be located?

I was there on Tuesday and going today and hardly any. Very faded spary paint marks by MRVR and one white one at exclaiburs entrance....

Since now Valleyfair has a decent building....DARK RIDE ANYONE!!!!!!?????

When VF had a webcam (Just now realizing that it is no longer there), it said that that building will be used for Haunt.

That said, I would love to see a dark ride come to the park in the next 5-10 years.

Welcome to TPR, by the way!

Does anyone else think the park may be planning something for their 40th next year? They did bring up the park's anniversary in the latest blog along with the original creators...I'm not expecting an expansion or anything big, but maybe they'll do some events or coaster celebrations?

Does anyone else think the park may be planning something for their 40th next year? They did bring up the park's anniversary in the latest blog along with the original creators...I'm not expecting an expansion or anything big, but maybe they'll do some events or coaster celebrations?

No coaster for 2016 but I could see what WOF did for their 40th. I know both parks are one price but they are definitely doing waterpark for 2016.

For their 30th Anniversary, the park had cotton candy priced at 50 cents - the same price it was when the park opened - all season. They also did various food and drink specials (Corn Dogs for $1, a burger & fries for $2, small soda for 25 cents) throughout the season. I'd guess they'd do something similar for the 40th Anniversary.

As far as the speculation of when VF will announce it's 2016 plans, it seems like most people posting here have completely written off the possibility of a coaster for 2016. While I'd guess we would've seen more signs by now if they were planning to build something major, that doesn't mean something major won't be announced. Remember, VF didn't announce Renegade until late September 2006 (Press Release, dated Sept. 21st, 2006). There's still plenty of time for things to happen.

I could see Valleyfair having a 40th anniversary celebration next year similar to what Kings Dominion did in 2014. Maybe add a few small flat rides that VF had in the past (Larson Flyers in particular), and refurbish some older rides (Carousel, Enterprise, SuperCat, etc.)

I'm at the park now. After walking by the chaos area were the flags are I notice some new markings close to the amphitheater on the grass areas. There small orange flags and orange lines on the grass areas. I haven't been to the park in a couple of days and I have been walking by this area all season up today when I noticed the new markings. I know they weren't there early this season. I'm still staying with my speculation were the amphitheater is that's were the dark ride will go the blue print is big enough for the area. Any thoughts of the new markings? I took three photos.

image.thumb.jpg.a3a19f616fa9a531ae6b2a2d68b9e772.jpg

New markings spotted were the chaos area is.

Looks like a new haunt for ValleySCARE.

While I'd guess we would've seen more signs by now if they were planning to build something major, that doesn't mean something major won't be announced. Remember, VF didn't announce Renegade until late September 2006 (Press Release, dated Sept. 21st, 2006). There's still plenty of time for things to happen.

Signs of Renegade were present by at least June 2006. Since this is just two months off, it could end up being something significant, especially considering the anniversary next season. However, I'm doubtful.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

I'm at the park now. After walking by the chaos area were the flags are I notice some new markings close to the amphitheater on the grass areas. There small orange flags and orange lines on the grass areas. I haven't been to the park in a couple of days and I have been walking by this area all season up today when I noticed the new markings. I know they weren't there early this season. I'm still staying with my speculation were the amphitheater is that's were the dark ride will go the blue print is big enough for the area. Any thoughts of the new markings? I took three photos.

Hopefully they have plans for finally tearing down the amphitheater soon.