TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'll be at coaster enthusiast day tomorrow along with my son, Charlie. I'm also hoping the rain stays light, or at least lets up enough at times that we can get some rides in. Be sure to say HI! if you see us. I'll be wearing a grey TPR hoodie.

I'll be at coaster enthusiast day tomorrow along with my son, Charlie. I'm also hoping the rain stays light, or at least lets up enough at times that we can get some rides in. Be sure to say HI! if you see us. I'll be wearing a grey TPR hoodie.

Its suppose to rain for 4+ hours tom. so i would go there expecting lots of rain

There are 3 coasters that close for rain. Of the 3, 1 is no longer at the park, 1 is already closed for LL:DOD construction and the 3rd is Goldrusher. At least last time I was at the park in the rain Goldrusher was closed.

Also, rather strangely, SFMM still operates two trains on most rides in the rain. Most parks only run a few rides in the rain, and those that do only run one train. SFGAdv can still run El Toro in the rain, but only runs one train. CP shuts down almost all coasters, and the few that remain open run one train (except Millennium Force).

One important not is that, if it rains too hard, or low attendance results from the rain, they may close early. From my understanding, SFGAdv actually does this relatively often. I have even heard that SFMM did this back in 2009, but I am not sure about that. For this reason, it is best not to plan a trip to an SF park on a day with heavy precipitation. However, if you go on a day with light rain, you are probably safe from closure, but the rain may still be enough to scare away some GP.

It rained during ERT at WCB 2011, and I believe everything except Superman stayed open.

SFMM's rain policy for multiple trains is that they will run them with multiple trains until they are overshooting due to wet drive tires.

So when the train overshoots and hits the train in front of it is that when they decide to pull one off?

I'm posting from the cyber cafe right now. I ran into the Bebes and Justin, and their other firend (I apologize other friend, but I already forgot your name) It was raining lightly right before the park opened and has ranged from sprinkles to heavy rain since then. The rain has let up for the moment. We're looking forward to them opening more rides soon. Green Lantern, Riddlers, and Scream did not open for morning ERT due to the rain.

To answer Robb's question: I'm terrrible at guessing numbers, but I'd venture to say there were somewhere close to 100 people here for morning ERT. Other than it taking a little while to get Golaith opened, lines weren't an issue during ERT. Staying dry was quite an issue though. They announced at the beginning of the day that operations may be cut short unless the weather clears out. They've repeated that around the park as well. I'm hoping the weather clears out, but I don't have a lot of faith it will.

Lunch is coming up soon. I'll try to report back afterward.

I'm here at the lunch. Riddler's, Scream, and Green Lantern were not open for ERT. The park is closing at noon. I have heard that they are passing out one-day tickets as you leave. The director of operations has not spoken at lunch. I know Ace members are scheduled to have a Q&A, but I'm not sure what the park is doing about that. Goliath did take about 45 minutes after ERT started to get going, but was fine from then-on. This event is very disorganized, however. The lunch started 15 minutes late, and ALL of the fountain drink stations are empty. I'll have more comments and pictures later when I get home, my thumbs are frozen as it is.

^But the rain stopped!!!!!!!!!!!

It started raining again shortly after I posted.

We went to the group lunch and then decided to call it a day.

It was just a really bad weather day.

The park did give us comp passes without us having to ask for them (not that I would have)

Sure, it was a crappy day, but it wasn't the fault of anything other than the weather.