TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

One of the rolling improvements I would like to see SFMM take on, and indeed the whole chain, is to do something with the "parking lot" coasters visually. At the least, a concrete stain in a color other than black. And dare I dream, a fence in a style other than a simple chain link? The prison camp look, while functional as far as safety, really is a case of doing the absolute bare minimum.

While sad to see Deja Vu go, it will be good to see what the park can now place there that is more reliable and higher capacity. The clever use of space for Green Lantern and now Lex in 12, gives me hope.

^Yeah, it would be nice if they invested a little money to do something under the coasters. At least cover the parking strips and stain it to one color so it doesn't look like you put up the coaster on the cheap. Ok, they did do it on the cheap but really, making it look nice will go a long way for their image.

Just for curiosities sake, here is a list of ALL six flags parking lot coasters....at least what I could find on Google Earth:

SFMM: Colossus, Goliath, Scream, X2

SFDK: Not entirely sure, but quite possible every coaster(except the Boomerang and Road Runner) though Medusa is the only one that still shows parking spaces....

SFOT: Small portion of Goliath

Wow, I guess it is mostly Magic Mountain that has done this practice(though Colossus was built prior to Six Flags taking over(by one year though)...now, it was obvious looking on GE at the parks that many, many coasters, water parks, etc were built over existing parking lots, but they were landscaped underneath....Sorry Magic Mountain, was trying to defend you...oh well

After going to Magic Mountain for the first time a few weeks ago, I have to say that, overall, I was a tad unimpressed with the park. But, don't get me wrong, the coaster collection is great!

I'd love to see the park move in the direction of becoming a well-rounded park, rather than JUST a coaster haven.

It'd be great to see the park invest into getting quite a few themed flats scattered around the park.

I love the direction that Cedar Point is starting to head in, and I'm hoping that Magic Mountain follows suit.

Edited by oberts15

^Yeah, it would be nice if they invested a little money to do something under the coasters. At least cover the parking strips and stain it to one color so it doesn't look like you put up the coaster on the cheap. Ok, they did do it on the cheap but really, making it look nice will go a long way for their image.

Maybe they could ask KD how to do it right. Look what they did for Dominator in such a short time!!

849993269_ParkingLot.jpg.71ff3e13e4c1da6b231c556ecdf81875.jpg

Credit RCDB

Grass.jpg.802a921cf6b4f9ffd052d16e54d7221d.jpg

Credit RCDB

Better, but even that could do with a few trees and bushes in the ride area to make it a little more exciting.

I like how the track before the curve still has the attachments for the walkway due to it being on the lake at Geauga.

SFMM really could do with at least some grass under Scream though..

If six flags made the area around scream pretty, it would look great. At least some grass and trees would make a world of a difference. I think six flags really is starting to get lazy with their placement of rides. SFMM was so good looking before, with revolution in the trees and everything. I just feel like they seemed to forget about how awesome the landscaping was and thought more about the coaster crown. Tatsu was the one to do it for me. When that was announced, as excited as I was, my heart almost sank when I found out where it was being placed, over EVERYTHING. Plus it would have been a little bit better if the colors were like...an earthy color. They had to go with that hideous orange. Don't get me wrong, I love SFMM and I love how ominous the coasters look, but they really lost that "mountain" feel.

I gotta disagree about Tatsu. That being "over everything " is what separates it from other flyers, and makes the ride exciting imo. Dollywood is doing something similar with Wild Eagle and I love that as well. As for Scream or Colossus, I can see both of those issues dealt with sooner than people think.

But Dollywood isn't ruining another coaster's experience with Wild Eagle. Tatsu really murdered the second half of Revolution, but Wild Eagle is very isolated on its mountain. You can see it from everywhere, but you won't be able to come inches from touching its supports on other coasters.

If six flags made the area around scream pretty, it would look great. At least some grass and trees would make a world of a difference. I think six flags really is starting to get lazy with their placement of rides. SFMM was so good looking before, with revolution in the trees and everything. I just feel like they seemed to forget about how awesome the landscaping was and thought more about the coaster crown. Tatsu was the one to do it for me. When that was announced, as excited as I was, my heart almost sank when I found out where it was being placed, over EVERYTHING. Plus it would have been a little bit better if the colors were like...an earthy color. They had to go with that hideous orange. Don't get me wrong, I love SFMM and I love how ominous the coasters look, but they really lost that "mountain" feel.
Yeah, I see what you mean, it may be a great ride and all, but they took out a ton of trees from such a heavily wooded area. But really, when hasn't Six Flags been lazy about ride placements? Revolution was put in before Six Flags even owned it. So I can't say there was a point where SF ever valued beauty of the park over coasters. Just my thought.

But Dollywood isn't ruining another coaster's experience with Wild Eagle. Tatsu really murdered the second half of Revolution, but Wild Eagle is very isolated on its mountain. You can see it from everywhere, but you won't be able to come inches from touching its supports on other coasters.

If SFMM cared enough to make Revolution a great ride once again, I might agree with you. As it is, I could care less about what Tatsu does to a ride I will never set foot on again.

Tatsu aside, Magic Mountain has been pretty awful when it comes to ride placement throughout it's history, pre Six Flags included. A park as naturally beautiful as The Mountain, should never have installed more than a few coasters to begin with. It would have made a gorgeous family/animal park. Ironically, had they taken that route, the park may not be around today.

If I am SFMM's GM, cleaning up the area underneath scream is probably about the 1000th thing on my to do list. That is money much better off being spent upgrading infrastructure, staffing rides, rehabbing rides, etc.

^^Of all 18 coasters, only four make use of the terrain. Of those four, only one (Tatsu) was built after the 1980's. Six Flags just ruined SFMM's potential. One thing that just baffles me was the placement of Goliath. A hyper coaster would work awesome on the mountain, and could make prefect use of the terrain. Instead, they built it over a parking lot in the front of the park! At least we got Tatsu. Apoc was built to fill Psyclone's old spot, and Green Lantern is not exactly a terrain ride. What SFMM should have done was build a terrain CGI, and add a drop tower in Apoc's spot. Currently, only one terrain GCI exists, and that one Chinese ride looks pretty awesome to me; much better than Apoc! (Not that Apoc is a bad little ride, although it is no terrain coaster)

i get where all of you are coming from, every time i visit six flags mm i talk about how horrible the themeing is there, and all the abandon buildings are a whole other story. its seems like every ride they have but it has been the cheap way, instead of spending money to put decorations in or around the attraction. i thing ninja is one of my favorite rides in the whole park, just due to the facts it hugs the mountain and goes in between trees and stuff.

^^Of all 18 coasters, only four make use of the terrain. Of those four, only one (Tatsu) was built after the 1980's. Six Flags just ruined SFMM's potential. One thing that just baffles me was the placement of Goliath. A hyper coaster would work awesome on the mountain, and could make prefect use of the terrain. Instead, they built it over a parking lot in the front of the park!

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Goliath was built on a parking lot. There used to be a wooded hill there that housed the Trollywood train at one time. They shaved down the hill to build Goliath.

I still think they should consider doing a Bizarro re-theme considering that the park is now getting a Lex Luthor themed ride right near there. Frankly I'm surprised they decided not to give Scream! The Bizarro rehab in the first place. At least the park lot theme would make a little more sense?

Just thinking out loud here. Forgive my runaway thoughts.

^^^ I hope they opt no to do such given the parks current track record of audio on coasters... Plus after riding Bizarro at SFGAdv this summer and realizing how one could barely hear the audio over the B&M Roar, it just doesn't seem worth the money. And without doing the audio I don't see the point in giving the ride a make over that would not change the experience enough to make it remarketable.

Edited by SuperShawn