TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2205 - Opening Day Photo TR!

I'd say that most of us that did the spotting were already off the clock for the day-we did it for the thrill more than anything-and most of us were young-the older security guys and supervisors tended to get a little nervous that close to explosions-a good percentage of them had been to Vietnam.

That's right - I didn't take into the consideration the fact that you were way up in the sky near the fireworks.

Since you guys were talking about Chevron, I got to thinking - I've always wondered what's up with the former gas station in the parking lot - when was it open, what kind of gas was sold, and was it owned by MM?

I couldn't find anything about it on google.

For some reason, I seem to remember the gas station selling Union 76, but could be wrong. That was a '70s idea, inspired by the energy crunch of the day. Gas prices then were heading toward the then unheard price of...drum roll, please...ONE...DOLLAR...PER...GALLON!!!

I don't remember the gas station being open very long, and I'm not sure why it's even still there unless they plan to reactivate it. But tearing it out would require removing the old tanks along with the building, which would cost some money. Sort of like Metro's track---it ain't hurting anything being there unused, so leave it be.

They were capable of a lot more, though. One spring day when the park was closed to guests, and pretty much all the high ranking management was in downtown LA being told the park was being bought by Six Flags, a buddy who was a mechanic on CGP filled the gas tanks on a couple of cars, fired them up, disconnected the governor on the engine, and let us race them a couple of laps around the park...they could barely get up the back hill by Gold Rush, and since the park was closed, the gates on the front side were open, so we were doing probably 50 or 60 at the bottom of the hill...it was pretty fun.

I wish I could have watched that!

Eric

For some reason, I seem to remember the gas station selling Union 76, but could be wrong. That was a '70s idea, inspired by the energy crunch of the day. Gas prices then were heading toward the then unheard price of...drum roll, please...ONE...DOLLAR...PER...GALLON!!!

I don't remember the gas station being open very long, and I'm not sure why it's even still there unless they plan to reactivate it. But tearing it out would require removing the old tanks along with the building, which would cost some money. Sort of like Metro's track---it ain't hurting anything being there unused, so leave it be.

Eric

I think it's neat just sitting as-is - provides some nice shaded spots when it's not filled with motorhomes.

$1? I remember when my parents bought diesels (F-250s and 240d/300d Mercedes) because of the cheap cost of diesel - gosh, I want to say it was $.30/gal. or less. Now..

It is sort of random to see a gas station within a theme park, but I'm assuming there weren't as many stations back then outside of the park?

I think Magic Mountain was just trying to provide a convenience for their guests. Personally, I never got gas there, but I remember seeing it open with people lined up at the pumps. It doesn't seem like it was open for very long, though.

Eric

I personally do not remember what kind of gas it was, but another 'odd' gas station that used to exist was the one at Dodger Stadium. That one was also a 76 station and if my memory serves me correctly, it was somewhat discounted so it always had a huge line.

Maybe the one out at the park was also a 76 station. I am not surprised though, when the park opened, park goers from Los Angeles had a long drive through a whole lot of nothing to get there.

Did anyone see the inside of the Superman station/queue this past weekend? I'm wondering if they're going to update it at all! I know they changed all the lighting to be green (kryptonite). But when I saw it two weeks ago, the robot statue in the corner was gone as well as the ice (made of foam) statue of Superman's parents was gone. They didn't even remove it nicely...their cut off hands were still on the base with foam sticking out to where it was connected.

I would also like to see either the hologram come back or for them to at least put a TV in the spot when you first enter...

From the e-mail I got:

"Please dress appropriately. If you wear logos or branded items, please make sure that they are Six Flags only."

Eric

Mine doesn't have any dress-code information, just detailed instructions on where to go.

Here's how mine starts:

So you’re ready to take on 415 feet of coaster at 100mph…BACKWARDS?? Great!! We’re happy to have you join us! The SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton media event will take place on Wednesday, March 16th. If you are unable to join us, please email us back so we can select someone else to take your place.

Does that look like yours?

Did anyone see the inside of the Superman station/queue this past weekend? I'm wondering if they're going to update it at all! I know they changed all the lighting to be green (kryptonite). But when I saw it two weeks ago, the robot statue in the corner was gone as well as the ice (made of foam) statue of Superman's parents was gone. They didn't even remove it nicely...their cut off hands were still on the base with foam sticking out to where it was connected.

I would also like to see either the hologram come back or for them to at least put a TV in the spot when you first enter...

I was in the left side station on Saturday, but never got to ride. No hologram work at the entry. Some "ice work" (foam) in progress near the location where Superman was. Really not much has changed since you last saw it.

From the e-mail I got:

"Please dress appropriately. If you wear logos or branded items, please make sure that they are Six Flags only."

Eric

Eric, you are not going with the Facebook group, right? You're going with ACE? If that is correct then please don't post mis-informing information. We have the email from the Facebook group and it doesn't say anything about a dress code.

--Robb "We aren't talking about the ACE invite, we're talking about the Facebook one..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

So you’re ready to take on 415 feet of coaster at 100mph…BACKWARDS?? Great!! We’re happy to have you join us! The SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton media event will take place on Wednesday, March 16th. If you are unable to join us, please email us back so we can select someone else to take your place.

Nope, not at all.

This is going to be interesting.

Eric

Nope, not at all.

This is going to be interesting.

Eric

Is yours from the Facebook event?

I have a Question, Annual pass is required to enter the event? or a one-day admission ticket? I think not, right?

I'm going with the Facebook group. I go from Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.