TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

the lines where very reasonable besides Deja Vu.

By noon on Saturday, I found the lines seemed to be really long on rides in the vicinity of X2. On Viper they stretched down to the coaster history photos and the line for Tatsu stretched down around the hill around 75 yards.

^^ There was 3 of them selling pizza around lunch time. Another thing i noticed was the security guards watching over the line, it was great. If someone needed to use the restroom the guards would give out a pass so they could go then when they came back go up the flash pass line and meet back with their party. I thought that was pretty cool.

Another thing i noticed was the security guards watching over the line, it was great. If someone needed to use the restroom the guards would give out a pass so they could go then when they came back go up the flash pass line and meet back with their party. I thought that was pretty cool.

That is a great policy. Those that actually need to use the restroom can, while we won't have to deal with line-cutters claiming they're rejoining their imaginary group. My wife and daughter are both diabetic and often need to use a restroom more frequently than the average person. No matter if they use the restroom before they get in a long line, they sometimes need to go again before the queue wait is over. Policies like this are what parks need to keep the atmosphere family friendly and I'm glad to hear they've implemented it. SFMM continues to impress me with what they're doing all over the park to improve the guest experience. Keep up the great work!

Letting people out of a long line to use the restroom is a good policy. Maybe if this is done on other rides enough, it'll discourage people from cutting in to join those imaginary friends.

Eric

Hey everybody, question for the group, esp those who go to SFMM often. I'm heading out there next week... either Thursday or Sunday. I'm coming up from San Diego, so that would mean Thursday I'd have to fight LA Morning traffic through Anaheim and such to do it. Is it worth dealing with that for the reduced crowds (even though the hours shrink? Sunday the park is open 10-10 and Thursday it's 10:30 to 7:00). I know Sundays are lighter than Saturdays but we're officially in summer and I want to hit X2.

I've just got word that they are selling individual Papa Johns pizzas to people in line for X2. THAT is the NEW Magic Mountain! Jay Thomas and crew, keep up the good work!

I also noticed that they had photographers taking pictures of people that were in line for X2. The guests could then check out their pictures at Photo Booth on their way out of the park. I think this is a great idea as well!!

John

I'm heading out there next week... either Thursday or Sunday. I'm coming up from San Diego, so that would mean Thursday I'd have to fight LA Morning traffic through Anaheim and such to do it. Is it worth dealing with that for the reduced crowds (even though the hours shrink?

I'd say Thursday. Weekends after Memorial Day the parking lot can start spilling into the overflow, Thursday should be best. In reguards to traffic if you're coming up the 5:

Take the 57 north to the 210 north to the 5. Yeah, its 10-15 miles further, but you can avoid all the 5 traffic through LA. I would usually suggest passing the 57, and hopping on the 605 to the 210, but the 5 has a bunch of construction going on from Beach Blvd up to Carmenita--its ugly over there all the time no matter which day it is. A good piece of advice (especially for people with internet access on their phones) is to visit sigalert.com, they have up to the minute traffic reports and road speeds which can really help you decide which freeways to take to save you some time.

Its good to hear positive things coming from guests who have gotten to visit MM recently. Thank you Magic Mountain and staff its awesome! Keep it up!

In regards to X2 capacity and line organization, it seems like the only solution to higher capacity would be a station re-arrangement. Considering the parks on budget, something as simple as a bridge I think could really make a difference. Here's a rough sketch of what a little bit of re-arranging could do. (Sorry there's only 6 cars on the X2 train)

It allows people at car one to exit the train faster, because that seems to be the main problem thus far-slow exiting guests. Getting those guests to get off the ride and out of the way faster might allow 3 trains to run efficiently, and really speed up that line.

-James

I was at the park last night (Sunday) and I was amazed to see Tatsu dispatching every 3 minutes and X2 trains going one after another after another. Park looked very clean after what seemed to be a *packed* day. Two years ago the midway would have looked like a tornado hit the place.

The parade was fun, although the highlight was William having to push the float, but hey, KidTums *loved* it!

I will probably do another walk around the park later today.

--Robb

The 210 Eh? I usually avoid that one. Last summer my Wife was spending some time in Riverside and the 210 was a pretty nasty drive... but at that time I was headed westbound in the afternoons. is it usually better eastbound in the morning rush hour traffic?

Man, Was gonna go up today but everyone I wanted to go with couldent make it due to money issues or had to do somthing else.

Anyhow, Now that X2 is done with time to move on to that new coaster that is supposed to be built.

ideas on what its gonna be?

Just a nitpick about lining up in front of the gate.. is it still somewhat disorganized if you're not at the very front? When I went in March the lines got split up and crossed every which way, especially when they ran into the big thing in the middle. Also, you can't easily tell from the back which gates will be open or even where each gate is. For example, once when I went, people lined up on only one side, leaving 1/3 of the gates empty.. the MC came on and said "Just so you know, we also have gates over there *points*" and people rushed to line up at those.

It seems like it would be helpful if they painted lines showing where to line up and maybe roped off part of the line area so that after you pass the metal detectors you're routed toward the end of the lines. It would make people more relaxed and less likely to have issues with line jumping or families getting separated. I could be just remembering things wrong though.

I can't wait to get back there soon

Man, Was gonna go up today but everyone I wanted to go with couldent make it due to money issues or had to do somthing else.

Anyhow, Now that X2 is done with time to move on to that new coaster that is supposed to be built.

ideas on what its gonna be?

IMO, I'd say a wood coaster is still the front runner. Management said no Dark Knight or Tony Hawks Big Spin and I would have to agree on the simple fact that SFMM can do a lot better then these options and I think they know this as well and that's why they are going a different route. Not to take anything away from those rides but SFMM is the thrill ride capital of the world and have higher standards then that. They also mentioned at WCB a El Loco style coaster like Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach is a possibility which is totally fine with me. This new management is very smart and I know what ever it is it will be a great fit for the park.

"Let the speculation begin"

I live by the beach and am going to be at SFMM this weekend. Do they have winds and breezes there a lot which warrant between the early morning/late night and the main part of the day extra clothing? Just don't know since I'm used to beach weather, not inland weather. They do have lockers right?

I think they should refurnish or rebuild Colossus next year. It could be expensive though. Its for all ages, its wooden, its a priority to keep it running and its sad to see how it looks today. They could even theme it to Speed Racer and have the two tracks race! I think they have the rights for Speed Racer.