TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Tim said that they got some 'neat ideas' from the Japanese sister coaster, but didn't hesitate to state that they are not at liberty to completely rebuild the station. He DID say that they are doing away with the "bring the train in, raise the rails, unload, lower the rails, move the train forward, raise the rails, load the train, lower the rails, send the train out" system and that you will load and unload from the same place (Though I am curious as to how they will handle long stacking periods, especially if they really do get 3 trains running) but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am VERY interested in a trip report the day it opens. I'll actually be headed to the mountain next week (probably Thursday) and will give my own notes on X2 then, but I sure hope this place will be flooded with info long before then.

"What are the X2 passes?" (nursemelis374)

Depending on when you purchased/processed your 2008 season pass, you were to receive a "front of the line" pass to ride X2 at some point during June---I think it was only valid on weekdays, but I'm not 100% sure.

I purchased my Xtreme Play Pass in January before the coupon booklets or X2 passes were available. I did get my booklet later, but was not able to get an X2 pass because I asked too late. Personally, I think anyone with a pass should have gotten one upon processing of the pass.

Eric

I've got mine right here. It says

"X2 Flight Pass

This voucher is good for a single X2 flight pass valid for one person for one ride on X2 only. To redeem, take this voucher along with your valid 2008 six flags magic mountain season pass to the FLASH PASS entrance of X2. This voucher is void if duplicated, reproduced, or altered. Pass not transferable. Only one voucher per person. Visit sixflags.com for current operating schedule.

Valid any operating day in June 2008 except Saturdays.

Expires June 30, 2008."

That said, I wonder if there is no flash pass entrance of X2, will they honor these? I'm guessing that they will, since there will be such a limited number of them, but still... very curious.

Luckily I an going to SFFM on June 1st for ACE day for my first time in 25 years. Luckily as an ACE member we get about four hours of ERT both before and after the park opens, including morning ERT on X2, and at least five other coasters. I guess I woun't have to worry about a FastPass.

From Screamscape:

Late 2008 to 2009 - The Dark Knight Coaster - Rumor - (5/21/08) Could Six Flags Magic Mountain become the benefactor from the whole red-tape snafu that happened over the The Dark Knight Coaster project in New England? According to a reader in attendance at the media day for The Dark Knight Coaster in Chicago, they spotted a pair of management types from Six Flags Magic Mountain at the event. Thinking quickly they walked over and asked if SFMM would be getting a Dark Knight Coaster soon since there was one just sitting around in New England doing nothing right now. While the SFMM staff didn’t confirm that as the reason they were there checking it out, they did break out in a big wide smile and said that SFMM could certainly use one. Timing wise it all works out too as Shapiro is supposed to be at SFMM in the near future for the re-launch of X2 and likely will be discussing with the staff the future plans for the park for 2009 as well.

As I’ve mentioned before, SFMM would be the perfect place for a winter launch for a Dark Knight Coaster since they could probably getting it ready just in time for the launch of the movie DVD before Christmas if they start soon.

I really don't get the big deal with what happened in New England. Can't they just finalize the plans and rebuild over the next winter? I mean it sure sounds like it was a paperwork goof... why can't they dot their i's and cross their t's and start over?

From Screamscape:

Late 2008 to 2009 - The Dark Knight Coaster - Rumor - (5/21/08) Could Six Flags Magic Mountain become the benefactor from the whole red-tape snafu that happened over the The Dark Knight Coaster project in New England? According to a reader in attendance at the media day for The Dark Knight Coaster in Chicago, they spotted a pair of management types from Six Flags Magic Mountain at the event. Thinking quickly they walked over and asked if SFMM would be getting a Dark Knight Coaster soon since there was one just sitting around in New England doing nothing right now. While the SFMM staff didn’t confirm that as the reason they were there checking it out, they did break out in a big wide smile and said that SFMM could certainly use one. Timing wise it all works out too as Shapiro is supposed to be at SFMM in the near future for the re-launch of X2 and likely will be discussing with the staff the future plans for the park for 2009 as well.

As I’ve mentioned before, SFMM would be the perfect place for a winter launch for a Dark Knight Coaster since they could probably getting it ready just in time for the launch of the movie DVD before Christmas if they start soon.

And as the the liason that was walking me around at the same Media Day said, "Don't believe anything you read or hear until you actually see track at the park. Half the time management doesn't even know what's going to happen until it happens."

These are wise words.

This speculation is all very interesting. It makes me wonder just how autonomous the individual Six Flags parks are. I wonder who ultimately decides how capital investments/rides are distributed between the parks.

Could it be that the park comes up with an idea and concept and presents it to corporate who then says yea or nay? Or could it be corporate saying..."here's your budget for capital expenditures, have fun"?

^I've always wondered that myself.

With plans for a coaster in 2009 far underway, I see this as nothing more than speculation. The ride for 2009 is probably already done being designed, pieces might have even begun the fabrication process.

However, it would be awesome to see SFNE's Batman:Dark Knight come to MM in 2010.

It would give the park 17 coasters, tying the coaster crown capital Cedar Point. The higher ups at WCB mentioned getting it back in the upcoming years, and following this pattern would put them on a pretty good track to retake the lead.

We do know a few things:

The 2009 coaster is a family style ride. Dark Knight meets that criteria.

Mark Shapiro isn't into inversions. Dark Knight meets that criteria.

It has been stated that SFMM will regain the "coaster crown." Dark Knight would at least help. The thing is, having a Batman theme would almost certainly put it in the Gotham City/Movie District (if it's still called that) where Riddler's Revenge is. That is, if they want to keep theming intact.

Eric

They already had plans though, I don't see them taking the coaster from SFNE if they already have a coaster planned...unless they scrap the original plan.

I can totally see them getting the Dark Knight coaster along with the "planned" coaster, whatever it is. I'd love it if they did.

It would get SFMM back to the top with CP as far as coaster count. Which isn't necessarily an important thing in my eyes. But the Dark Knight coaster looks good, and looks like a quality experience, so I'm all for it!

We do know a few things:

The 2009 coaster is a family style ride. Dark Knight meets that criteria.

Mark Shapiro isn't into inversions. Dark Knight meets that criteria.

It has been stated that SFMM will regain the "coaster crown." Dark Knight would at least help. The thing is, having a Batman theme would almost certainly put it in the Gotham City/Movie District (if it's still called that) where Riddler's Revenge is. That is, if they want to keep theming intact.

Eric

And in adding to that, they also have Batman: The Ride. Maybe if they add it they should rename one of them The Joker.

Didn't management say that the new for 2009 coaster wasn't going to be a Dark Knight or Tony Hawk? I know things change, but like was said before I am sure they already have some plans finalized for the new family coaster for SFMM. I also don't think Shapiro is very worried about regaining the coaster crown just yet. 17 only gets them in a tie and adding two coasters adds to operational costs. I think they will fill the rides out as attendance increases. I wouldn't hold my breath for two new coasters in 2009.

I know for a fact that rollercoasters go into developmental stages years before they open. I'm sure that Tatsu for exampe, was already blueprinted when Scream opened, so I don't think the 2009 coaster was scrapped in any way. If it has been confirmed at this point I'm sure development for it began shortly after Tatsu opened. Now for more speculation, If the 2009 coaster were a woodie, those don't cost much to build. A decent woodie for a park the size of MM would run about 4-5 million. Adding a wild mouse that is already fabricated (and paid for) wouldn't hurt. One thing people seem to be neglecting in these speculations is marketing. Tourists want to travel to the park with the most of something, the fastest of something, the tallest of something, etc. Putting a larger roller coaster in BBW would draw a crowd as well (a la Sierra Sidewinder-KBF). I see it happening, will it? Probably not, but an enthusiast can dream.

^$4-5 million for a "MM sized" woodie? Evil Knievel @ SFStl, which is a clone, has a listed price of $7 million. A woodie at magic would be at least $10 mil after you factor in construction cost and the extra wood needed for earthquake retrofitting.

Not all roller coasters go into development that far in advance. It just depends on the scale of the project. Buying an "off the shelf" model or a clone that can be placed on flat land doesn't require nearly as much planning...For example, a long standing rumor is that Scream! was really meant for SFoT and Superman: Tower of Power was meant for SFMM, but SF switched them around.

Yeah, from what I've gathered, a year and a half to two years is the norm for major coasters. Some of the guys from GCI told me that from the drawing board to opening, it usually takes them about a year and a half, and in his recent interview, Dick Kinzel mentioned that CF is starting to order coasters for 2010. I'd guess it's pretty rare that coasters require more than 2 or 3 years of planning.