TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm guessing it probably has more to do with the permits needed to build stuff in California, which by no surprise to anyone, is a state that can be difficult to work with.

--Robb

^ Sounds reasonable to me - the permit process in this state is absolutely insane...yet you can almost walk up and get a drivers license...

Are we all that disappointed in a relatively small family coaster being delayed a whole season? Especially if Magic Mountain could use more mid-thrill flats first?

Then again, I am a Sharks fan, so I'm callous to feeling disappointed.

I think were just disapointed that that could possibly be the NEW COASTER for the 50th anniversery. ALso, no 17 coasters

(

I would not be suprised if the coaster was held up to due to permits. Possibly related to the height limit issue? Or maybe it's an issue with the terrain chosen by Deja Vu? I also agree with the above when the coaster may be held back until 2011 for the 50th, as part of a celebration. Maybe American Adventures' Ridgeline Racer (it is buffalo themed - so SFMM will get El Toro!) will also find a home at SFMM in 2011, joined by the previously rumored 2011 adult coaster. A 3 coaster install, one for each age group, for the anniversay sounds like a good marketable promotion.

And to think, people were bashing CP and Intamin for a two-week delay on a log flume. Haven't seen much bashing of SFMM for having a year-long delay on a relocated kiddie coaster.

I'm sure a few people are bashing CP and Intamin for THIS right now, at least in their heads.

And to think, people were bashing CP and Intamin for a two-week delay on a log flume. Haven't seen much bashing of SFMM for having a year-long delay on a relocated kiddie coaster.

I'm sure a few people are bashing CP and Intamin for THIS right now, at least in their heads.

Well with the pending news of CP's possible new coaster next year, and with a growing rumor that the coaster my be an Intamin ZacSpin, SFMM is delaying the building of Mr. Six until they know for sure what CP is doing and they can adjust their plans accordingly in the now-defunct coaster wars.

Sounds plausible.

^ Okay, how about this? With the introduction of the "Little Six" character after the coaster's initial theme design, the ride's planners realized that since this is a ride for the kids primarily, it should be called "Little Six's Dance Coaster." But they hadn't negotiated the rights to use the actor's likeness for anything outside of advertisements and have had to go back and renegotiate to get permission to use said likeness for any rides and/or in-park entertainments... and those negotiations are really dragging on and on...

...Yeah, that's gotta be it...

I am probably way off here so tell me to shut up if you want to. This coaster was taken out of New Orleans and I thought they were told not to remove any rides.

From things I read online there was a group of people wanting to take over the park, so maybe there has been a block on this ride?

As I said I could be way off on this.

I just want to quickly defend my post from a few pages back about a coaster being put in by SF without permits. Please note the New England reference. I was talking about Dark Knight and the epic fail that was. It was sarcasm. I realize that this permit thing would not be the first time the company pulled a stunt like this. Thank you. That is all.

I'm guessing it probably has more to do with the permits needed to build stuff in California, which by no surprise to anyone, is a state that can be difficult to work with.

--Robb

Quick little 'off topic... sorta' thing. Washington has that problem as well. There is no such thing as friendliness towards business, big or small, at all in this state. That's the main reason why that NASCAR track wasn't built when it was proposed a few years ago.... but more on topic with the site, why no big theme parks are here and why none probably will ever arise here.

Anyways......

I'm a little surprised, but not that much, as I haven't seen very much progress at all since before West Coast Bash. So for now, I guess the lot will just have to stay dirt for a while...

It was more of a heavy mist today, everything was open except for (of course) Superman. Ninja was down a couple of times, wonder if they are having issues with the new computer system. Sky Tower was even open.

I didn't see anybody post this, but Brady Quinn from the LA Times had a write-up on the delay.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/six-flags-magic-moun-6992/

I did hear them rehearsing something in the Batman Theatre today when I was going to ride Riddlers, do they still do a stunt show in there?

Let me say this before I get to my post. I've never been to SFMM and was fully expecting eight pages of people complaining that the ride wasn't going to open...and I'm proud to say I was WRONG!

Permit issues for a 28 foot tall coaster?

I know you guys have legalized pot and all but that's really gotta suck.

My theory is financial issues.

Screamscape is reporting this morning that the new CEO pulled the plug on the project himself.

Screamscape is reporting this morning that the new CEO pulled the plug on the project himself.

This was actually going to be my speculation as well. And to further that...I even have my doubts that the project will happen at all! Maybe the new CEO came in and was all "Why are you guys spending the money to put up a kiddie coaster which very few people who visit this park would even be interested in?"

Didn't they learn their lesson with Thomas Cul de Sac that SFMM is not a park that's going to attract families! Not with Disneyland and Camp Snoopy in the same state!

Focus on what SFMM has done great for decades - THRILL RIDES!

First step is announce that the ride is "postponed." Next time is just make it disappear all together and people will forget about it once the B&M Dive Machine is announced.

You learn in business 101 that you need to play to your company's strengths, and "family attractions" have NEVER been one of SFMM's strengths. Make the park a pleasant place to visit, absolutely! But stick to what they know how to do best!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^I sincerely hope that's true. Mr. Six was just a huge step in the wrong direction for SFMM. As you said,the park is a thrill park. Any little kiddie coaster they add isn't going to change the park's image, and really wont draw much attention. Large, thrilling coasters really work the best at Magic Mountain. However, since the general shift if the amusement industry is toward families, they should at least build a ride that the whole family, and not over-sized toddlers, can enjoy. I mean I have a 19 year old brother, 18 year old cousin, 16 year old cousin, and a 12 year old little brother, and they all like Tony Hawk at SFDK. A ride at that thrill level is really what SFMM needs if they want to gradually shift their park into a more family oriented one.

I agree with you Robb, but I still want to believe that the money on the Dance Coaster has already been spent, and that it will come as a 'family bonus' with any major attraction announced for 2011. Maybe not, the trivial amount of money spent on such a small coaster would be an easy addition to attract the 'family crowd' that SFMM has been so eager to gain, that I don't think it would be worth it to the park to just re-ship it somewhere else. I say, open it in addition to whatever awesome may be coming in 2011. In my weird mind, I really think that would be a valuable marketing tool.