TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From Anaheim, near Disney

You can take the Metrolink from Anaheim (the train station is less than two miles from Disneyland) into LA Union Station, then transfer to the Antelope Valley Metrolink line to Sana Clarita then take the #501 bus to SFMM.

You could also take the LA Metro 460 from Disneyland (picks you up right at the harbor boulevard entrance to Disneyland Resort) to 7th Street Metro Station. Transfer to the Redline to North Hollywood then transfer to the 757 bus to McBean Transit Center (McBean parkway and Valencia boulevard). From there you would transfer to the # 3 or #7 bus to SFMM.

You would not only get to the park before opening you would also be able to go on a week day. The only downside is that you will have to get up early in the morning to do this, but I think it would be worth it. And if you take the 757, Redline, and LA Metro #460 back to Anaheim you will be able to stay later than 6:30pm.

Websites:

LA Metro #460 and Redline

http://www.metro.net/around/maps/

Metrolink (91line, Orange County Line, Antelope Valley line)

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/

Sana Clarita Transit ( Bus # 757, 501, 3, 7)

http://www.santaclaritatransit.com/Index.aspx?page=3

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

That said, I still do hate Scream!

And its reasons like that that make me dislike the coaster enthusiast. I guess I can't understand how you can truly hate a coaster when it really isn't that bad of a ride. Granted I am only at this park maybe once a year, I just can't fathom how you can say you hate a coaster. I mean, look at 98% of parks in the world, I guarantee they would open this coaster with open arms (as they likely have an SLC/Boomerand/Butterfly/Tivoli). Yes, the ride may not be the smoothest in the world, or the most original for that matter, but is still a quality coaster. Hell, if you really hate it, send it out to Colorado, we'll gladly take it.

Okay, I lied. I don't hate it. The only coasters I truly hate are Ghostrider when it's rough, Hurricane at SCBB, Kong, and Vekoma Boomerangs.

I just really don't like Scream at all, it's rattly and extremely boring. It almost always gives me a headache, and I always tend to be surprised when I can feel a noticeable amount of force on it. I could probably get the same experience by sitting on a chair during an earthquake! Sure it'd probably be much more prominent in any other park, but as RcFreak said, if it was the headline attraction, it'd wouldn't be a very good park! Now one may make the point that SFDK has a similar floorless coaster as its headline attraction. However, I actually enjoy Medusa a lot because it doesn't have nearly the same amount of problems as Scream (and it's also built over a parking lot, so don't even try the "I hate it cause it has no theming argument" ). It's got an airtime filled drop (in the back), actual force, and it doesn't feel like you're riding a jackhammer. The reason I dislike Scream so much is that it has so much wasted potential. B&M floorlesses, as evidenced by Medusa, CAN be good, it's just that Scream frankly isn't. No matter what park you put it at, it's not that great of a ride.

My opinion, however, may be flawed due to the mass amounts of B&Ms I have around me. I've come to expect a certain quality (albeit, the California B&Ms sans Medusa really aren't thrilling in the least bit to me) from B&M coasters: smoothness, and some force. Riddler's does it for me, Batman does it for me, Tatsu does it for me, hell, even Silver Bullet can do it for me. Scream only gives me a "California B&M" quality experience about once every five times when the moon is full and the humidity level is 78% etc. yada yada yada. If it can't even match up to our not so highly ranked rides (except for Tatsu which actually is pretty highly ranked, but gives a completely different experience), then it really just isn't that good. So in conclusion, I think my low opinion of Scream may just be based off the fact that similar rides,which aren't even THAT amazing, can do much more for me than that big ol' thing. I'm sure that I lived in Colorado or some other place with no quality rides around for miles, I'd probably be much more fond of it.

Edited by atem122

^ To add to that...what is wrong with "hating" Scream? People hate X2, Goliath, Deja Vu, etc., but it's like if you hate Scream, you're a bad enthusiast. I don't like Scream either...for the same reason's atem stated. Yeah, it'd be the "main" attraction in a smaller park...so would the other larger coasters at SFMM that people hate. I don't see the difference.

and I always tend to be surprised when I can feel a noticeable amount of force on it.

What about the zero-G roll on Scream? I find that part of the coaster to be forceful and it is one of my favorite single elements on any coaster I have rode.

^^^ Wednesday should be a great day to go since school is back in next week. You will love your Platinum Flash Pass next Saturday. There are two special events that day and Saturdays are packed anyway.

^ To add to that...what is wrong with "hating" Scream? People hate X2, Goliath, Deja Vu, etc., but it's like if you hate Scream, you're a bad enthusiast. I don't like Scream either...for the same reason's atem stated. Yeah, it'd be the "main" attraction in a smaller park...so would the other larger coasters at SFMM that people hate. I don't see the difference.

Agreed. Unfortunately, some people criticize coasters for reasons that are arguably misguided. However, many other people criticize coasters for perfectly legitimate reasons, or simple don't care for a coaster.

It really bothers me when people assume they know why someone criticized a coaster, and insist that it's a "wrong" viewpoint. I'd like to feel comfortable saying I don't like a coaster without going into every last detail defending why I feel that way and why I think it's legitimate (I might do so anyway, though, for the sake of detail).

and I always tend to be surprised when I can feel a noticeable amount of force on it.

What about the zero-G roll on Scream? I find that part of the coaster to be forceful and it is one of my favorite single elements on any coaster I have rode.

I will admit, the zero-G roll is the main redeeming quality of Scream. I actually do enjoy that part a lot, but the rest of the "meh" ride just overshadows it in MY opinion. That said, I'll probably be riding Scream tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe it'll be one of those "once in a full moon" rides.

Edited by atem122

Speaking of "meh" rides, am I the only person who puts Batman in that category? Unlike many of you, I've only ridden it once, so I'm admittedly coming from a somewhat different perspective. But for me, Batman was the major coaster/multi-looper/etc. that didn't really stand out as memorable. I put Riddler's, Scream!, Deja Vu, and Viper ahead of it (among others, of course).

Of course one reason is that it's a more familiar ride type to me than the other coasters there, which I guess makes it easier to judge harshly than something more unusual.

Speaking of "meh" rides, am I the only person who puts Batman in that category? Unlike many of you, I've only ridden it once, so I'm admittedly coming from a somewhat different perspective. But for me, Batman was the major coaster/multi-looper/etc. that didn't really stand out as memorable. I put Riddler's, Scream!, Deja Vu, and Viper ahead of it (among others, of course).

Of course one reason is that it's a more familiar ride type to me than the other coasters there, which I guess makes it easier to judge harshly than something more unusual.

I feel that Batman provides one heck of a punch.. especially compared to its (in a sense) twin - Silver Bullet. Sure it's not the tallest, or newest, or fastest, but Batman is certainly a fun ride.. As is Viper..

Back to the Scream argument.. I have ridden it at least ten times.. and still find it to be an enjoyable coaster.. The parking lot idea doesn't bother me.. I find it amusing, actually. I enjoy the ride because of its layout, speed, type, and the fact that it's next to the parking lot..

However.. I will admit that there is a certain 'roughness' to the ride, especially considering its age, and the fact that it is not cycled as much as the more popular coasters.. It's actually more of a 'vibration'.. Does anyone know why this might be apparent on such a 'new' ride.. I expect roughness from an older steel coaster.. but not something that is less than a decade old..

Personally, I don't mind Scream! It's not my favorite, nor my least favorite. What I don't understand is why a coaster MUST! be forceful or it's no good. Some rides are just a good time. Silver Bullet at Knott's has been called "forceless." Really? That final helix kicks some butt, and there's some decent airtime on it.

As for Batman, I had a hard time riding it for awhile because of the forces it can generate. But I think that was due to my own illness, as riding it now doesn't cause the problems with me that it did. Ditto for Viper.

I guess the bottom line is that we're going to like what we like, and not like what we don't like. To each his/her own.

The management at SFMM has said that they will continue to bring us the big rides, but there are other issues that have precedence. One thing at a time...

Eric

^^I agree.. every coaster has its own uniqueness that makes it fun..

I personally don't dislike any coasters because they are too slow, or too fast, or too short, or too old, or too bumpy..

The only coaster I like, but cannot re-ride immediately, is Ghostrider.. I don't dislike or hate Ghostrider, i just cannot handle its roughness for multiple rides (except for certain seats that are smoother). While riding the ride, I think it has an awesome layout, amazing speed, and a certain level of enjoyment.. Even if there is a coaster that might 'suck', I will still ride it again.. why not?

Even if there is a coaster that might 'suck', I will still ride it again.. why not?

The better question for me is why ride it again. It's just common sense...if there is a coaster that makes you sick, or beats you up, why put yourself through it again? If you don't feel this way about any coaster, you're lucky. There have been a few coasters that I just hated so much I wouldn't go near it again. Luckily, nothing at SFMM has really gotten to this point yet (no...not even Scream!, I just don't "enjoy" it).

To make some comparisons...I didn't actually find Silver Bullet "forceless" although I didn't find it intense. ("Intense" to me means "scary" more than just "forceful"...those are two different things, right?) At first I considered it mediocre, but it grew on me and I now think of it as a pretty solid ride.

I found Flight Deck (CGA) to be very intense.

I liked the setting of both Flight Deck and Silver Bullet, for similar reasons. I didn't care for the setting of Batman, unless there's something I've forgotten already! And honestly, setting does play a role in how fond I am of a ride. (I LOVE shameless parking lot coasters, though--so wrong, it's right!)

I rode Batman right after lunch, so maybe I needed to get into "coaster mood" again and didn't until I rode Riddlers? Because it seems everyone except me finds it very intense (part of the reason I inquired). Strangely, sometimes I don't notice various forces or ride elements unless I'm actively trying to pay attention to the ride experience.

^^That's pretty much my view of Scream! as well. It's not like "holy crap this sucks, I'll never ride it again," it's just not thrilling or enjoyable for me. Is it my fault that I don't like it? No. Do I think someone's an idiot because they like it? No. It's like a smaller version of the Millennium Force debate. Some people love it (or maybe just like it in Scream's case), and others can't stand it! To be honest though, I'm just not a B&M kind of person at all, I'm more Intamin oriented (which sucks cause there are so few good Intamins in Cali).

As for Batman, I do enjoy it when I'm on it because of it's severe @$$ kicking, but it's way too short for my total liking. So it's also in the meh category for me (I prefer Silver Bullet because of its height, length, and original layout [especially the overbank! ])

Edit: Is it just me, or do we seem to have the Scream! debate once every 1 or 2 months?

^ I also like Silver Bullet's overbanked turn. To me, that's a cool element on any coaster, but especially on an inverted one.

What I find funny about the Scream! debate is that no one seems to pick on SFGAd's Medusa/now Bizarro, of which Scream! is a mirror image. The two rides obviously have different settings (park vs. parking lot), but I'm referring to the ride itself. Not having ridden it, I don't know whether Bizarro is all rattly and rough. If I recall, wasn't it the very first B&M floorless coaster?

Eric

I rode Bizarro last summer and to me at least, the difference between it and Scream was like night and day. Bizarro is like what Scream wishes it could be, it's fun and not super rough (and the whole Auger of Doom thing through the corkscrews is great!). In short, it was a heck of a lot better than Scream is.

There are many Parking lot coasters many people like Dominator,Medusa,and heck even the new Intimadator is built over a parking lot so hell i dont want to hear this crap about the parking lot coaster means the ride is bad it is bad becuase the roughness,low intensity,and does'nt live up to its potential so sttop complaining about it being in a parking lot becuase that is just not a good reason to put a ride down if Flight Deck at CGA was on a parking lot it would still be an awesome coaster. I hope you guys get my point.