TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ If SFMM were to take down Superman, it would free up space for something big. However, there is sufficient space on the hill for something new even with Superman in place; as I mentioned above from Screamscape, a new coaster of a new type is rumored to make its appearance somewhere up on the hill in 2011. As it is now, Gold Rusher goes right under Superman's launch track at one point, so anything built up there could pass over or under Superman and not interfere with its operation.

While I did mention that I think it's time for Superman to go, I don't think SFMM will take it out any time soon. Should it be removed, I would imagine that the park would replace it with a newer generation launched coaster; perhaps a bigger Kingda Ka or something similar.

I've given thought, too, about Ninja "reaching the end of its service life" as Big Bad Wolf did last year at BGE. It will be 25 years old in 2013, which is how old BBW was. Should Ninja ever be taken down, its station could be used for something new as well. (I hope this isn't the case, though, because I like Ninja---and it's a type of coaster that is definitely on the endangered species list.)

Eric

I agree that Monte is still a darn good coaster and Xcelerator's launch is awesome so KBF does win for launch coasters. Although in my opinion, for the overall ride, Xcelerator is just barely better than Superman which makes it almost even. They are both fun but way too short which keeps them from going very far up my favorites list and competing with other longer coasters with many more elements. Pony Express stinks and is barely one step away from being a kiddie coaster in my opinion. It is the only coaster I have ever rode that, when it was over, my first thought was that I didn't enjoy it. There have been some times when I have heard 6-8 year old kids get off of it and talk about how they didn't like it or, while entering the station, say something like "it is over already".

Edited by austinlee

I hope this isn't the case, though, because I like Ninja---and it's a type of coaster that is definitely on the endangered species list.

Yeah, I consider BGW one of my home parks and I thought of BBW as my least favorite coaster at the park. I never realized what I had until.. she was gone.

On the topic of new additional coasters. Do you think it is possible that Magic Mountain would be looking to go for height again? MM has a standing relationship with B&M (4 coasters), a fifth is high percentage probability. I am a big B&M supporter, but I would love to see the park invest in some type of Intamin coaster.

Out and Back Giga! ( Don't yell at me)

SFMM has posted maintenance dates on their website. Deja Vu, Ninja and Thrill Shot are closed until 3/19. Batman will be closed from 2/16 to 3/6. It looks like my next visit will be about the same as my last one except that Batman will be closed instead of Scream.

I would still really like to see the park get a B&M hyper.

I know the park has Goliath, but I still think it's more of a hyper-twister.

A hyper coaster with more air-time hills in it would be very nice for both SFMM and KBF.

Well, Goliath is for 48 inches and if they replace it with a B&M it will jump to 54.

Please think of the children.

SFMM has posted maintenance dates on their website. Deja Vu, Ninja and Thrill Shot are closed until 3/19. Batman will be closed from 2/16 to 3/6. It looks like my next visit will be about the same as my last one except that Batman will be closed instead of Scream.

For the sake of the Bash, I REALLY hope they don't fall behind on those.

Why is Batman going to be closed again? It was just closed for what, a month while it was being painted?

About the park 'taking out' Superman sometime in the future, I really don't see why they would ever do that. They'd be better off just leaving it there as a massive lawn ornament because it would be so expensive to deconstruct. At least I think it would be very expensive, but I may be wrong. But hopefully something will be done to update for refresh the ride, I pity Superman. He gets no love.

KUDOS to Magic Mountain's Guest Services...

I have to compliment the greatly improved guest services at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I bought a season pass to the park in January knowing that I was going to be traveling to the park last week. I am also planning a trip to Six Flags over Texas and Great Adventure but since I was going to Magic Mountain first, I purchased the pass for that park. Well I made the trek from Salt Lake to Magic Mountain this past weekend, and like the Griswalds, when I got to the park it was closed (due to weather).

I spoke with the park today about the situation and that I would not be coming to the park after all to process my pass. They were so friendly and never once did they lead me to believe there would be a problem in resolving the issue. The woman (I wish I could remember her name because she was SO NICE) told me that she would call the Texas park and put a note on my confirmation number explaining the situation. Not more than an hour later I received a call from Brandon in the Six Flags Magic Mountain Guest Services confirming that they had spoke with the Texas park and not only would they resolve the problem but they would refund me the difference in the prices between Magic Mountain & the Texas Park.

Thanks Magic Mountain for a very positive experience.

^^^ That is very odd that Batman is being closed again. Last Sunday, everything looked amazing..

Maybe there are mechanical upgrades? Or train refurbishments?

With all of this talk about coasters on top of the mountain, I have always wondered... When it comes to all of the support beams/poles for coasters, how far does the concrete portion go into the ground? This has probably been answered/discussed at one time, but I began to think about the weight of not only the steel for the track/support beams, but also the trains themselves, flying around the twisted steel in excess of 60 mph..

Back on topic though..

SFMM has enough 'looping' coasters, IMHO.. It would be awesome to have something similar to Goliath, but taller, with more hills and less curves.. (oh wait, that's what most of you have been suggesting all along). Or.. how about another woodie, but super crazy, and a heck of a lot longer than Terminator? A racer, perhaps..