TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

For the well-traveled enthusiast, Goliath is the weakest of the "majors" at SFMM and one of the weakest hyper coasters ever designed, IMO. But to the locals and for the park it's a HUGE win.

It's tall, fast, incredibly intimidating for a lot of people, and extremely high capacity (especially if three trains are running.)

I think most people who have never been any many other hypers come off absolutey **LOVING** it.

But most enthusiasts who have been on the top ranking Intamin's or B&Ms usually feel differently.

I am a big fan of hyper coasters, in fact, it's my favorite steel coaster style, and it just bums me out that the park down the street from me has one of my least favorite hypers.

I give it courtesty ride during ERT at West Coast Bash, and that's pretty much it!

--Robb

Goliath sucks because it has a waste of a first drop (it stays straight!), and wastes its ridiculously fast speed (only one airtime spot). If only PnPs were largely popular at that time...they couldve put a Balder-thingamagig there, and then some off the shelf hyper in the back of the park (one that didn't suck)

I enjoy Goliath quite a bit. Sure, it may not be the best, but I've always enjoyed twister-style roller coasters, and Goliath delivers that in spades.

Plus, the last sharp turn to the right gets me, every time.

It is really a "twister" though? I mean, it has a drop, turn around, floater hill, midcourse, curved drop from midcourse,helix, brake run.

I'm not sure that an intese helix makes it a "twister."

How many other hypers have you been on?

--Robb

For the well-traveled enthusiast, Goliath is the weakest of the "majors" at SFMM and one of the weakest hyper coasters ever designed, IMO. But to the locals and for the park it's a HUGE win.

It's tall, fast, incredibly intimidating for a lot of people, and extremely high capacity (especially if three trains are running.)

I think most people who have never been any many other hypers come off absolutey **LOVING** it.

But most enthusiasts who have been on the top ranking Intamin's or B&Ms usually feel differently.

I am a big fan of hyper coasters, in fact, it's my favorite steel coaster style, and it just bums me out that the park down the street from me has one of my least favorite hypers.

I give it courtesty ride during ERT at West Coast Bash, and that's pretty much it!

--Robb

Sadly, the only two hypers I have been on are Goliath and Desperado. lol Just by looking at POV's on the internet of hypers like Nitro, Apollos chariot, diamondback,Behemoth, etc, I can tell there better then Goliath at magic mountain lol.

It seems like all the good hypers in north america are on the mid/east coast. D:

Maybe when I'm a little older I can go on one of the trips that you guys go on. I would pick one that visits Cedar Point

Btw, thats cool that you live down the street from Six Flags mm. I live 2 hours away from there which isn't too bad. My local park is Legoland haha! I live about an hour away from Knotts.

I enjoy Goliath quite a bit. Sure, it may not be the best, but I've always enjoyed twister-style roller coasters, and Goliath delivers that in spades.

Plus, the last sharp turn to the right gets me, every time.

It is really a "twister" though? I mean, it has a drop, turn around, floater hill, midcourse, curved drop from midcourse,helix, brake run.

I'm not sure that an intese helix makes it a "twister."

How many other hypers have you been on?

--Robb

Not much, I admit. Most of the other hypers I've been on have been Arrow out-and-backs and they've all been average (Desperado and Magnum come to mind).

And I do consider Goliath to be a twister coaster. It's definitely not an out-and-back, and not a figure-eight. A twister is the closest it comes to.

I *LOVED* Titan at SFOT. It is great with capacity, when running properly with a motivated staff. (Diamondback's crew reached an hourly capacity of 1,599rph!)

The first drop was very....different. I felt a strange floater going down the drop, and then before bottoming out in the tunnel. It was weird!

Three strong points nearly made me black out:

-Bottom of 1st drop

-First helix

-Second helix

The airtime hill in the front seat was really cool. It's sustained for a while!

When I rode Titan, I only came to a dead stop on the MCBR once; the rest it was braked, but there wasn't much of a hang down the drop.

I actually enjoy Goliath. I'm not a fan of inversions, so hyper coasters are my favorite type of ride, and so far I have enjoyed every one I've been on (besides Desperado, athough it wasn't horrible).

Goliath's first drop may not be steep, but it's definitely a lot fun. I have no problem with heights, so I really like sitting at the top of the lift hill listening to everyone screaming, waiting to get pulled down the drop. The quick rush in the tunnel really adds to the speed, and then after the turn around comes the air-time hill.

I've been on Magnum XL-200, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick, Voyage, etc...but this air-time hill is by far my favorite. I love floating out of my seat for a few seconds. It definitely is "true air-time".

After that the ride dies for me. I hate slamming on the brakes, and the helix makes me black-out nearly everytime. Still, Goliath is a fun ride and one that I can keep riding over-and-over, unlike most coasters.

It's currently my 5th favorite favorite coaster out of my list of 126, so it definitely ranks highly for me, but I have a feeling once I ride more coasters it'll fall down my list easily.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how smooth Goliath is. Probably the smoothest coaster I've been on!

I actually enjoy Goliath. I'm not a fan of inversions, so hyper coasters are my favorite type of ride, and so far I have enjoyed every one I've been on (besides Desperado, athough it wasn't horrible).

Goliath's first drop may not be steep, but it's definitely a lot fun. I have no problem with heights, so I really like sitting at the top of the lift hill listening to everyone screaming, waiting to get pulled down the drop. The quick rush in the tunnel really adds to the speed, and then after the turn around comes the air-time hill.

I've been on Magnum XL-200, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick, Voyage, etc...but this air-time hill is by far my favorite. I love floating out of my seat for a few seconds. It definitely is "true air-time".

After that the ride dies for me. I hate slamming on the brakes, and the helix makes me black-out nearly everytime. Still, Goliath is a fun ride and one that I can keep riding over-and-over, unlike most coasters.

It's currently my 5th favorite favorite coaster out of my list of 126, so it definitely ranks highly for me, but I have a feeling once I ride more coasters it'll fall down my list easily.

yeah the second half of Goliath is terrible but the first half is pretty good. Too bad they couldn't have more hills like that one.

I'm not a fan of most inversion but Pretzel loops and zero G rolls are awesome.

Having been on Nitro, Steel Force, Steel Eel, Titan, Millenium Force, Titan and Goliath, I'm going to have to say that the last two were by far the weakest of the type....and it's pretty hard to beat out Millenium Force as a "weak hyper". After the drop thats about as steep as the lift, you have a decent floater airtime hill and a forceful helix, but for a ride like say, Nitro-that has all the before mentioned, with ass-loads more airtime is a far better ride. Goliath stacked up against other rides of its type just isn't that good. Stand alone, it's okay, but Robb nailed it-For anyone that has been on other hypers elsewhere-Goliath all but sucks.

Having been on Nitro, Steel Force, Steel Eel, Titan, Millenium Force, Titan and Goliath, I'm going to have to say that the last two were by far the weakest of the type....and it's pretty hard to beat out Millenium Force as a "weak hyper". After the drop thats about as steep as the lift, you have a decent floater airtime hill and a forceful helix, but for a ride like say, Nitro-that has all the before mentioned, with A$$-loads more airtime is a far better ride. Goliath stacked up against other rides of its type just isn't that good. Stand alone, it's okay, but Robb nailed it-For anyone that has been on other hypers elsewhere-Goliath all but sucks.

Yeah, it's no Steel Eel, SFoG Goliath, Diamondback or MF...it's something different done with the height and speed. Coming into the brake run, I still felt they could have done even more with the ride! Two great moments of airtime, crazy helixes, smooth, high speeds and first drop. Pretty good ride in my book!

^^ I just noticed that you live in Ventura, Christopher. That's just up the road from me. We ought to meet up sometime, either near home or at SFMM.

Holidays at SFMM can be interesting. I've been there on Labor Day, Memorial Day, and the Fourth of July when the park was very crowded. Yet for some reason, line waits weren't that bad, even with only two trains running on Goliath and/or Tatsu---provided the latter is using both stations. I find that the only coaster with decent capacity with three-train operation is Goliath. But the simple lap bar restraints on it help tremendously.

^ Yeah, Josh, I always look for William when I go out to SFMM. More often than not, I find him somewhere.

Eric

^ William is wrs28330 here on Theme Park Review. He works at the park in a supervisor/manager position (not sure exactly which area he's in, but I usually find him somewhere near Terminator). When you'll see him, he's in a shirt and tie, usually.

Eric

"...the day after thanksgiving! Hopefully no one will go..." (Troy98)

I went last year on that day, and the park wasn't as uncrowded as you might think. The line for X2 was about 45 minutes, if that's any indication.

Eric