TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Quite honestly, fireworks are so...eh. A laser show would be very different and there's more you can do with it. Having the Sky Tower adds some good possibilities as well. Imagine that lit up with thousands of LEDs that change color to music!

Eric

Well I am back from my trip , I had 2 full days at SFMM, cloudy weather which was nice, kept a few people away I am sure.

I went in the first week of June, before the hordes of school kids decended the week after.

The stories I had heard of 2hr waits for rides was gladly proven to be not true.

On no ride did I wait more than 10-15 minutes except Terminator and X2, Terminator was an hour and X2 was about the same - but everything else was great, Superman/Ninja/Revolution/Colossus were all walk-on, no wait at all - it was great.

I saw no sign of the rubbish, gangs etc that alot of people are talking about. But being before the school vacation I guess was a good time to go

The only thing that constantly annoyed me was the number of empty seats on any ride. The ops never asked for single riders to fill the empty seats - and when you have been waiting an hour to get on a ride and then you finally get close to get on, you see the reason you have been waiting so damn long - there are 3-4 empty seats on every train leaving the station !! Don't they have single rider lines, I noticed one or 2 queues had them but that was it....

Apart from that - great park, great rides, good times

I'll be back !

I'm sure this has been said before in this thread, but I didn't see anything about it in the first post.

I'm going to SFMM for the first time in about 5 days. I need to know what is the best route to take to try and get every ride in. The main rides I really want to ride is

-Scream (Never been on a floorless)

-Riddler (I want to say I rode the tallest/fastest)

-Batman

-Goliath

-Dejva (Never been on a Giant boomerang.)

-Tastu (Again with the tallest/fastest)

-X2 (Never been on 4th dimension)

-Terminator

Will I be able to get all these rides in? I'm worried about Terminator since it's new. If I can't ride all the rides, I won't be disappointed. I tried at Cedar Point and couldn't lol.

I'm not an SFMM expert, but...I'd say arrive a full hour early to be one of the first at the gate - by the 1/2 hour mark, crowds have really started to build. Know the route to X2 and sprint there as soon as you get in the gate - be prepared for the uphills. I'd suggest you take the famous shortcut and go to Tatsu, which is a slow loader, and then head for TS:TR right after that. By doing that last week, though it admittedly was on a weekday before all schools were out, I was able to knock off all three within the first hour. If Deja Vu is running, you might do that directly before or after Terminator; I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference. (In fact, one morning I was there TS:TR was something like an hour late in opening.) Since Riddler is next on the clockwise circuit and is a pretty slow loader, that would probably be next for you. Because Goliath is off in the opposite side of the park from the Big Three, lines tend to build more slowly there. Remember that SFMM is a large park with a big hill in the middle, and minimize backtracking.

I know there's lots of people saying "buy FlashPass," but when I was there - again, admittedly, earlier in June - I spent 2 1/2 days in the park, rode TS:TR 10 times, X2 three times, Tatsu 4 or 5, and the longest wait I ever had was one hourlong afternoon queue for X2. First thing in the morning, TS:TR and Tatsu were virtual walk-ons. YMMV, of course, as may the value you place on 70 bucks.

I'd actually recommend going for the right side of the park before doing anything else. And, while you could go right for Terminator, I actually don't recommend it. You can get it later... the longest line I've seen is an hour and fifteen minutes...

Let's face it... ninety-nine percent of the general public goes right toward X2 and Tatsu. Go for rides like Goliath, Scream, Batman and Riddler's Revenge before the crowd gets to them and then make your way across the park... save Viper and Revolution for later as they will have no line. You're going to want to hit Tatsu at about 6:00 to get a ride on it before 8:30. Perhaps earlier. Anyhow, after Tatsu, make a mad dash to X2 and get in the line before 8:30... if you are in line, it doesn't matter what time you get on, you are getting on the ride. Besides, who doesn't love a night X2 ride?

Flash Passes are an option, and while I think they're cool... I'm really hesitant to spend the extra money on one. Really, the park is completely possible to make the most out of if you just stay opposite of the main crowd.

Flash Passes are an option, and while I think they're cool... I'm really hesitant to spend the extra money on one. Really, the park is completely possible to make the most out of if you just stay opposite of the main crowd.

True, but, if anyone's looking for an iron clad way to never have to worry about crowds, or crowd-evading techniques -- if anyone's looking for a way to not worry about that kind of thing at all & just relax & have fun all day no matter the crowds -- Flash Pass is TOTALLY worth the money spent on it.

True, but, if anyone's looking for an iron clad way to never have to worry about crowds, or crowd-evading techniques -- if anyone's looking for a way to not worry about that kind of thing at all & just relax & have fun all day no matter the crowds -- Flash Pass is TOTALLY worth the money spent on it.

I guess I could agree with that... it's probably especially good for people who don't get out to the park very often and want maximum enjoyment out of their day.

Me, I see that park at least twice a week so I guess the flash pass just doesn't make much sense in my situation.

All of the above tips are good. You're doing good by going on a weekday, but now that's it's summer it still will be crowded. You could do the FlashPass option, but whatever you do I would first go to the left and hit X2 and Tatsu, then skip Ninja and go on Deja Vu and Terminator, then keep circling the park for everything else. X2 cannot run in high winds, same with Superman, so they may be down in the afternoon if it gets windy. Also Tatsu gets very long lines. Riddler and Batman are usually not that crowded. I would, in order go on X2, Tatsu, Terminator, Deja Vu and then work around the park.

Well I am back from my trip , I had 2 full days at SFMM, cloudy weather which was nice, kept a few people away I am sure.

I went in the first week of June, before the hordes of school kids decended the week after.

The stories I had heard of 2hr waits for rides was gladly proven to be not true.

On no ride did I wait more than 10-15 minutes except Terminator and X2, Terminator was an hour and X2 was about the same - but everything else was great, Superman/Ninja/Revolution/Colossus were all walk-on, no wait at all - it was great.

I saw no sign of the rubbish, gangs etc that alot of people are talking about. But being before the school vacation I guess was a good time to go

The only thing that constantly annoyed me was the number of empty seats on any ride. The ops never asked for single riders to fill the empty seats - and when you have been waiting an hour to get on a ride and then you finally get close to get on, you see the reason you have been waiting so damn long - there are 3-4 empty seats on every train leaving the station !! Don't they have single rider lines, I noticed one or 2 queues had them but that was it....

Apart from that - great park, great rides, good times

I'll be back !

I was there June 14th, a 'coaster event' and a question came up about single-rider lines. Jay and Neal said they were working on setting them up officially like at Disney. They do it on some rides if you enter through the FlashPass line but not on them all. When I was there they did not do it on Deja Vu, but they did on Riddler. If one can wait, absolutely go on a TPR or ACE event and many times, even without ERT, you could be riding by yourself. I rode Revolution, Superman, Gold Rusher, and Colossus by myself and even Goliath was delayed since they said they had to have at least 15 people on the train to send it off.

Many may not remember it, but I loved the Enterprise when I was a kid. I wish they would bring it back.

In hearing from Jay, Neal, and Tim, they are definitely planning on flat rides for 2010. It makes me wonder while they kept Electric Rainbow and Himalaya, they got rid of Swiss Twist, Spin Out, Enterprise, Crazy Barrels, Circus Wheel, and Jolly Monster. These, even though some were carnival type rides, they were fun and added to the park's diversity. From what I have heard 2010 will be flat rides and touch-ups to others as well as the superstructure of the park and a new coaster of some type will be in 2011.

^ SFMM is supposed to get a coaster next year, but I guess that can change. As for SFGAd, I remember when they got a bunch of rides in one season (1999, I think). I've never been there, but I've heard that most of those rides are now gone or closed.

I've said it before: a nice mix of flat rides pulls people out of the coaster lines and spreads them out in the park. But I don't know if SFMM will go that route, even though they had some good flat rides in the past.

Eric

^^ The decision on what to remove was primarily based on what could be kept operating reliably without near-constant parts replacement and subsequent downtime. While removal does take away from ride diversity, the rides were basically killing themselves and were on life support via the Maintenance Dept. anyway. Removing the rides that were removed was little more than a pulling of the plug, if you will.

Hopefully SFMM does add some more flats. They would be a nice addition to the park, but these days flats aren't just built in a vacuum. Their cost must be offset somehow, even it's something as goofy as Survivor: The Ride. In a SF park, this fact is only amplified that much more.

I sure miss some of those flat rides.. I loved the feeling of the drop in Freefall... I've had some great times as well as some not so great times going on Circus Wheel and Spin Out repeatedly, and I remember when Sierra Twist was my favorite ride when I was six years old. Ahh we need some more flats!

i went to the park the year Tatsu opened during the summer and X2 had a 2 hour line (or X at the time) however in the middle afternoon Tatsu ran 3 trains and was only 15 minutes and I went on it twice and could've done it 5-10 times at how efficient it was,

what is all this talk about Tatsu having long lines?

^Really? Cause Tatsu just takes forever to load now, I mean I don't think I've never NOT been stacked on it. Although it is a relatively short layout and has lots to do before it dispatches. I can't believe three train operation can make it go that fast, but I believe you.

In order for Tatsu to be efficient, both stations need to be running. Two-train operation with both stations going works pretty well, but I personally don't see it running like that very often.

This is a case of getting the damn cubbies out of the station and making people get lockers. From what I've seen, people storing stuff there slows things down.

Eric