TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hmm well with all this Psyclone talk, I thought it would be nice to see a flashback of its former spot:

Oh and if anyone has a shot of Sarajevo Bobsleds from the Skytower, plz send it or upload it or something.

So here:

That was certainly my favorite ride to occupy that spot!

--Robb

Wow, I remember when they built Pysclone, that was the last year I lived in Valencia. Did anyone else get the free pencils that they gave out that had "PSYCLONE: THE ULTIMATE MINDBENDER" written on them? I also had them for Viper and Flashback.

Whenever my friends and I made the annual roadtrip back to the Mountain, I was the only one who ever rode it after the first year. I didn't care for it, it definitely wasn't the in the top teir of coaster at the Mountainf for me, but it was fun dragging new people on it!

That being said, I totally just rewrote a part of the Six Flags comic to reflect the lost of Pysclone. Stupid Mountain messing with my arts.

The funniest thing about panda express in the park is that its in Baja Ridge. When I was there in the beginning of Febuary, a friend of mine asked me why they had the asian food place in the mexican area. I had no answer for once and he was happy he had stumped me. He said they should have placed a Baja fresh or something in there just to fit in.

^^^As little sense as his post made, I think he had a valid point: After the McDonald's in the park closed, the park had no brand name food options. With so much stuff down the hill, and the option to leave the parking lot and come back, that probably did cost them some revenue. Was it that much? Probably not, but there's no doubt that having a well known chain in the park certainly helps sell more food (at an even higher price since it's a name brand!)

I don't remember when Psyclone opened, but I recall the huge lines for Flashback when it opened. I was still a kid at the time, but recall my Dad being bummed because the line was a few hours long and he wanted to ride it.

As far as Psyclone, while I can't remember when it opened (though I have some memory of Shockwave being in its place, so my guess is I just didn't visit the park that year) I do remember when the park ran it backwards for Halloween.

As far as loving the park, I'm a huge defender of the park, however that ride was just plain bad. I'll admit that I'm slightly bummed that Flashback is coming out, because I always enjoyed that ride to some extent. I agree it was rough and could have used a degree of redesign, but I always thought that there was a good coaster in there somewhere. Psyclone in my opinion just never had anything that amde me want to ride it.

The best thing about Psyclone was riding it with unsuspecting newbies. They usually staggered off the trains holding their bruised ribs. It certainly was a little better when it was new, but I distincly remember a jerk to the right half way thru the ride that nearly shattered my left elbow. Almost everyone I know who has been on it agrees: Poor design, poor execution, and poor upkeep.

As for its tag line...Psyclone, the Ultimate Mindbender seems pretty appropriate as it never achieved the classic status of its Cyclone ancestors which it tried to emulate. The end result was just a cheap mind game that was played on us all.

You people who say good riddance are ridiculous. Psyclone was a great example of the type of ride that is vanishing in this country: The roller coaster that most of you "buffs" are afraid of.

Sorry to seem so combative, but aren't us roller coaster fans supposed to be thrill seekers? Aren't we looking for something that's exciting and stimulating, and just a bit beyond our control? That's the whole point of a roller coaster, to experience a sensation we couln't normally achieve on our own, and to trust our lives to a piece of machinery and architecture.

Yeah, the ride was a little rough? Who cares? Roughness was part of what made Psyclone Psyclone. If you were afraid of inversions, you avoided Riddler's Revenge and Scream. If you didn't enjoy heights so much, you probably shied away from Goliath. If speed just wasn't your thing, then you steered clear of Superman.

Roughness was what made Psyclone cool. It wasn't the fastest, tallest, or most thrilling of coasters, but if you wanted to ride a coaster that you weren't sure was built to code, then Psyclone was the ride for you. If you wanted to feel your amygdala go crazy at the sight of random bolts and wood pieces littered underneath the scaffolding, then Psyclone was the ride for you. If you wanted to feel like you were going to fall up and out of your seats with each breathtaking airtime hill, then Psyclone was the ride for you.

4 words:

Nobody rode it anymore!

So why keep something that no one rides anymore? Even Goldrusher got more people then Psyclone ever did in the past several years.

You people who say good riddance are ridiculous. Psyclone was a great example of the type of ride that is vanishing in this country: The roller coaster that most of you "buffs" are afraid of.

Sorry to seem so combative, but aren't us roller coaster fans supposed to be thrill seekers? Aren't we looking for something that's exciting and stimulating, and just a bit beyond our control? That's the whole point of a roller coaster, to experience a sensation we couln't normally achieve on our own, and to trust our lives to a piece of machinery and architecture.

If I still want something as exciteing and stimulating and a bit out of control like Psychlone. I'll just rollerblade off the roof of my house into a dixie cup filled with water. Either way I'll still end up in my chiropracters office and on vicoden for the next week. But at least I'll be doing something exciteing and stimulating and a bit out of control.

Guy "I'm a coaster enthusiast, not a pain enthusiest." Koepp

Wow. This is devastating. Psyclone was my favorite ride at MM because it always provided a thrilling, bowel-loosening ride as opposed to the predictable and mediocre effect that the rest of the parks collection had after repeated rides. It's going to suck to have to travel farther to experience that out-of-control terror due to the abundance of people spoiled by todays new-fangled steel contraptions with their "smooth rides" and "up-to-date inspection information".

Anyone that does not understand the difference between and out of control ride and one that just injures people really needs to re-examine their priorities. I don't think anyone here is against a ride that is out of control, with lots of forces/airtime or whatever. But I think pretty much everyone would agree that a ride that is rough to the point of causing pain, and offers no interesting forces other than the ones that re-align your spine every second or so to be a waste of time and space and will not be missed.

That was Psyclone. When it opened, yes, it did deliver a quality ride. But time, the Northridge earthquake, and SFMM's policy of only doing the minimal amount of upkeep on their coasters to keep on the right side of the state inspectors turned a decent ride into an absolute pile of crap with zero redeeming values.

Sadly, most parks refuse to take good care of their wood coasters. You only need to travel south a bit in CA to see another fine example of a once great coaster that has fallen into disrepair because the corporate owner is too preoccupied with paving everything in sight and filling every empty spot with a trash can rather than making sure their rides are of the highest quality. Wood coasters at smaller parks seem to do better, so if you're looking for a great wood coaster experience, perhaps a visit to a small park is a good idea. In any event, the removal of Psyclone is a good idea, and let's hope it starts a trend of parks taking a serious look at their rides, and fixing/removing those that are not delivering a quality ride experience.

dt

Wood coasters at smaller parks seem to do better, so if you're looking for a great wood coaster experience, perhaps a visit to a small park is a good idea.

Or a seasonal park.

A wooden coaster really can use the few months of downtime needed for a full off season refurb.

Closing the ride for a couple weeks here and there just isn't enough.

Was the below info the reason why the ride was so rough..?

The Psyclone was the only wooden roller coaster trains ever built by B&M. Each train weighs 5000 lbs.

No wonder "Psyclone" was shaking it'self to bits if the trains weight that much each.

------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding "Flashback", I do not know much about this 1 off design coaster, why was it not always operating most days and has been SBNO since 2003..?

Did the public complain about it being rough etc..

As it is the only one ever made of this design, should MM keep this coaster stored or scrap it..?

That ride was very rough, There was no way to brace your self to avoid the pain the ride caused. From what I heard, was that the ride was torn down in the total of 3 hours. It would be nice if they redid Deja vu entrance.

^I was there Saturday afternoon/night and thought Ninja looked great. It occurred to me that one reason it is getting so much attention is because with the 42" height requirement, it is one of the more family friendly coasters at SFMM which fits right in with Shapiro's strategy and the rumors of a new family area in the section of the park.

It would be nice if they redid Deja vu entrance.

I'd like that to happen too. I'm hoping they re-route the Deja Vu entrance to the other side of the coaster (where Psyclone used to be). Its current entrance looks so temporary and shoddy mostly due in part to that huge irrigation ditch that runs the entire north border of the park.

Wow! I was expecting the demolition to take a number of weeks, but suddenly it's just gone!

I've never actually been on it but I've still got mixed feelings about its removal. On the one hand it's great because it didn't do the park any favours and it's cleared a huge area of land. But to be honest I am also quite sad to see it go.

I find that it's the kind of coaster that you just love to hate. It may of been a terrible coaster that beat you up, but now which coaster will consistantly take the claim of roughest coaster and come bottom of the Mitch Hawker wood poll? Some coaster's got to do that and Phsclone did that brilliantly.

It's like if all Togo coasters were all suddenly removed, yes many of them are vey bad coasters, but you just love hating them and I would be sad to see them go.

Phsyclone, you were the best at being the worst coaster in the world and for that, I salute you!

You obviously have not been on Great America's Grizzly. The ONLY wooden coaster Psyclone was able to surpass.

Interestingly, I think I may have done when I last visited Great America in 1999, but I was only 7 at the time so my memory of it is very blurred.

As far as I'm concerned the worst woodie I've been on is Terra Mitica's Magnus Colossus- insanely rough even in the slowest parts, badly paced and gives you a headache even though there's nothing to bang your head on.

But anyway, my point is that it was the coaster that everyone loved to hate and I for one will miss that

I was doing a bit of researching before i posted a idea for a theme change for x. Being it has a hanger like station it would be awsome if they did a area 51 style theme and x was a top secret project that the military was cooking up. The area around the ride should look like a army base with barb wire fence and a mine field and the line should be inclosed. If any of you want to add you own ideas go right ahead.