TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Caught TNR testing a couple times today. Wasn't in a good position to snap photos as it caught me off guard. Could see that all the block breaks were still being used.

Darn! As expected, but still a bummer. You know I watched this footage the other day, and I was absolutely blown away with how fast the train navigated the track before all the trims. I mean, it FLIES through the loop and the last helix. Really too bad it wont ever run that way again. You can skip to :24 seconds to watch the train footage.

Caught TNR testing a couple times today. Wasn't in a good position to snap photos as it caught me off guard. Could see that all the block breaks were still being used.

Good running into you on TC tonight! I went by new rev on my way out tonight train wasn't on the transfer so I'm assuming it was in the station. Only was at the park for a hour and a half. TC was running great other than its down time. Still needs to get the lift hill programming and blocking reprogrammed.

So I received an email about a dining pass for 29.99 and was wondering if it's possible for me to add it into the app myself or do I have to be at the park.

Can anyone please share the link to this deal?

I don't think there was a link, I was emailed the deal with a specific code that was only good for me (non-transferable). I don't know if they were sent to all season pass holders or they just chose certain pass holders.

So I received an email about a dining pass for 29.99 and was wondering if it's possible for me to add it into the app myself or do I have to be at the park.

Maybe contact six flags and ask if you can possibly get in on the deal too?

I typically get emails from Magic Mountain about stuff like this, and I didn't get anything about a $30 dining pass. I posted about a month ago about a $50 dining pass I think, but I didn't go for it.

So I think this might have just been sent out to a a randomly selected group. If it was $30 I would definitely get in on the deal though.

Also, what's this app you guys are talking about? Is there a Six Flags app or something? Maybe it's only for folks that have the app?

I called the park and they stated it was only sent out to certain pass holders but they did say to just get the link from one of those emails and anyone can purchase the offer. Six Flags is not advanced enough to have coupon codes be assigned to certain people. lol

Anyone care to share?

Also, what's this app you guys are talking about? Is there a Six Flags app or something? Maybe it's only for folks that have the app?

Yes, there is a Six Flags app that you can upload your season pass to and access the available discounts for season pass holders. It also shows ride wait times, etc. I have this app and I still didn't get the email so I don't think it's associated with that.

I don't understand all this hate either. It's free and optional. Don't like it? Then don't do it, and be quiet. How difficult is that?

The problem is, as several other members have posted before me, this will slow down ops for EVERYONE. Even if you choose not to wear the headset it will still take your train, and consequently the whole line, much more time to dispatch if half the riders are trying to fit a stupid goggles onto their face. People have a hard enough time with a damn seat belt on roller coasters; what I don't understand is how people like you don't see this capacity nightmare coming.

Yeah it's crazy. It's really hard to think about how you get on a coaster now a days in 2016 and have to wait for someone to check you before you can even pull a lap bar down.... It is what it is, but it's kind of like "really?". especially when they just yell as passengers load to ".. not lower your lap bars", and everyone is so fired up they aren't even thinking of that as a possibility, they are just ready to ride. I'm the type I don't let it get to me, I kind of just laugh it off, but it trips me out it's that difficult. And obviously this will slow down ops for everyone, so, yay.. But i appreciate the park making some sort of effort, so we can't say that they aren't trying

It's too bad they don't have a dual loading station, like the one for Big Thunder in most Disney parks.

Two sides to load and unload. One track could be for all VRs. The other, not.

I think the biggest difference in that POV is not only the brakes, but that the lift hill does not slow down at the top. Thanks for sharing!

I called the park and they stated it was only sent out to certain pass holders but they did say to just get the link from one of those emails and anyone can purchase the offer. Six Flags is not advanced enough to have coupon codes be assigned to certain people. lol

Anyone care to share?

If THEY legitimately said to get the link because anyone can purchase the offer, then it sounds like they wouldn't have a problem with us sharing. If anyone who has it would rather PM me the link instead of posting on the site, I would be grateful, that's for sure!

I think the biggest difference in that POV is not only the brakes, but that the lift hill does not slow down at the top. Thanks for sharing!

seems like that's the go to move for SFMM, slow down the lift. ugh

Anyone care to share?

You can't. The emails were for individual use only, I just tried & it won't even let you because the code it was linked to was used already.

That POV still looks like they used the brakes...just not as strong as they were before the ride closed for its overhaul. The brakes were always there because the ride ran 5 trains at one point...those were blocking zones.

There is a big difference between open block brakes and trimming. That video is the best you'll see of the ride's original pace which is really only different after the tunnel trim, and there was no pause before the ramp into the loop. The trim after the tunnel was added some time between 1979 and 1983. Not sure exactly when. The movie roller coaster shows the ride before that trim was added. The rest of the ride was never slowed down, in fact the trains ran faster up to the loop ramp than it used to.

I'm guessing they used harder wheels with a longer life which sped the ride up causing the need for the extra trimming. No debate, the tunnel trim is absolutely ridiculous and destroys the helix. The pause before the loop isn't ideal but it didn't slow the ride much when you compare footage of it cresting the hill after the loop.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the Gotham theatre/Batman action show theatre/old Aqua Theater has been completely removed as per my observations this previous weekend. The remaining space could house a decent flat ride in the future or a nice compact coaster i.e. El Loco.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the Gotham theatre/Batman action show theatre/old Aqua Theater has been completely removed as per my observations this previous weekend. The remaining space could house a decent flat ride in the future or a nice compact coaster i.e. El Loco.

Seems at times SFMM likes to give out clues on what they have coming up in the future. Perhaps look no further than the app photo and that is being a huge ferris wheel.

IMG_8948.thumb.PNG.135ac57726418eff704621547661c9b3.PNG