TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Air tickets are bought, rental car is set, July 10th is the date. (Friday) My final question is what is the ideal way to go about the park. In the past it would be run for X2 but will Colossus be worse now? Coasters I intend to leave out for various reasons, Riddle's Revenge, Scream, Batman, and Green Lantern. We will be trying to snag a Honda for early entry either way we will be there at opening leaving around 5:30. Flash Pass is out of question.

If your group is small then you could take advantage of the Single Rider line that Twisted Colossus has and ride that anytime. In that case I'd start off with YOLOCoaster and work my way around and hit X2 after 4pm. If you're in a large group or not willing to split up, then you might want to start at Twisted Colossus. If Superman is a priority you might want to do that early too, it can get out of hand sometimes and isn't likely to be running both sides on a Friday.

Just two of us. If the ERT on Goliath happens might do Colossus while we are there and then head up to Full Throttle.

Edit: I see someone like auto correct on a particular coaster.

My friend and I used the single rider line tonight on TC and ended up riding together four times in a row. We had an awesome grouper named Jasmine, shout out to her.

On that note TC felt really sluggish tonight, are RMCs known for being temperamental? Cause I've noticed similar comments regarding WC and it not consistently hauling.

I rode Batman in the 7th row on the left side and it was making this terrible racket I've never heard before, like a loud grinding noise. I realize the ride is 21 years old but it sounded like something was wrong. I'm calling OSHA...j/k

I have no knowledge on this type of stuff, but why would it get sluggish? By sluggish does that mean run slower than normal somehow?

Or is it just rider perception?

Possibly. I know when I have a really fun ride those are the times I would say a coaster was hauling a**.

It's a very interesting question.

Is the "new ride" actually running slower or is the rider perceiving additional rides they are taking are not as fast as their very first ride because they have never ridden it before so they have nothing to compare it to? So many possible variables here too, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to actually measure the speed but what if.... what if there was no difference at all in speed yet the rider still feels it is running slower?

...fascinating.

Hi there,

I'm planning a road trip through CA on November and I would be able to visit SFMM on 11/11, Veteran's Day. I've searched this thread for information and found mixed predictions. Has anyone visited the park on Veteran's day on the last couple of years? I would appreciate some comments on how crowded the park could be. Warm regards from Brazil,

^From most of my memory in visiting over the years, November in general is typically not busy. But I would also say, coming from Brazil and visiting for your first (and maybe your only time for atleast couple years) take a lap around the park, see the wait times and decide for yourself, but I spending the extra dough and getting a gold flash pass might be worth it. It might make your visit more enjoyable and you'll be able to get on everything. Lines at Magic Mountain SUCK.

Will be hitting up the park on Tuesday. I am interested to bring some virgin TC riders to see what they have to say. I think I'll be able to tell if the ride is "sluggish" but who knows.I think weather conditions may play a factor in how it runs, I've only ridden it during a nice sunny day. But it's hard for me to believe the ride could possibly slow down.

^From most of my memory in visiting over the years, November in general is typically not busy. But I would also say, coming from Brazil and visiting for your first (and maybe your only time for atleast couple years) take a lap around the park, see the wait times and decide for yourself, but I spending the extra dough and getting a gold flash pass might be worth it. It might make your visit more enjoyable and you'll be able to get on everything. Lines at Magic Mountain SUCK.

Will be hitting up the park on Tuesday. I am interested to bring some virgin TC riders to see what they have to say. I think I'll be able to tell if the ride is "sluggish" but who knows.I think weather conditions may play a factor in how it runs, I've only ridden it during a nice sunny day. But it's hard for me to believe the ride could possibly slow down.

It'll be my second time at Magic Mountain (the first was on the first weekend of December, 5 years ago, the park was deserted), but the first for my girlfriend. I was actually already considering getting the Flash Pass the moment I got to the park if it was indeed crowded - the last time I checked the ticket + platinum totalled $150 and it seems to have risen to $175 on the last month or so.

Furthermore, I don't think I would detour from the coastline, pay the parking and tickets, only to decide to leave the park if it ends being too crowded. In fact, that's why I'm trying to get some feedback before deciding. Thanks!

I could see there may be a slight difference in how it runs on a hot sunny day versus a cool cloudy day, but is it really that much to notice? And since the ride already hauls ass as you guys have said..... does it even matter? It still sounds like it would be a kick ass ride even if it was sluggish.

I could see sluggish.

I agree 100%

I have watched TC cycle thousands of times and have learned all the sounds and I know where the ride is on the track just by the sounds even with my back to it. Yesterday (6-20-2015) I spent a hour having a picnic in the parking lot picnic area and noticed that while train is on green track coming out of the high five turn the train most definitely goes "sluggish".

Lets just say I like to watch and by no means am I in any position to say the speed is off or it seems sluggish but just call me Chauncey Gardner and something is off just a bit from opening days.

I was actually already considering getting the Flash Pass the moment I got to the park if it was indeed crowded - the last time I checked the ticket + platinum totalled $150 and it seems to have risen to $175 on the last month or so.

That's what I always tell people to do. Be prepared to pay for it, but don't buy it ahead of time. Wait till you get there and if the lines are unacceptable, then go buy one. Also note the cost of Flash Pass is higher on days that they think they will be busier and there will be more demand, such as holidays..it goes up and down.

I could see sluggish.

I agree 100%

I have watched TC cycle thousands of times and have learned all the sounds and I know where the ride is on the track just by the sounds even with my back to it. Yesterday (6-20-2015) I spent a hour having a picnic in the parking lot picnic area and noticed that while train is on green track coming out of the high five turn the train most definitely goes "sluggish".

Lets just say I like to watch and by no means am I in any position to say the speed is off or it seems sluggish but just call me Chauncey Gardner and something is off just a bit from opening days.

I've ridden TC almost 30 times and yesterday seemed really off to me, glad to know it's not just "rider perception". I also noticed the trains were making a loud squealing sound when they were leaving the station prior to the bunny hops.

Hi there,

I'm planning a road trip through CA on November and I would be able to visit SFMM on 11/11, Veteran's Day. I've searched this thread for information and found mixed predictions. Has anyone visited the park on Veteran's day on the last couple of years? I would appreciate some comments on how crowded the park could be. Warm regards from Brazil,

I went on Veterans Day a few years ago. It was sunny and pleasant. The shortest line I went on was a half hour, the longest was an hour and a half. I quickly realized I was not going to ride everything and did not have a flash pass. Perhaps you'll have the potential of rain for your visit and that will keep the crowds low. California really needs a wet rainy season to keep it habitable.

Does Twisted Colossus make the squeaking noise when turning to the bunny hops before the lift hill. This was the case with Wicked Cyclone when it turned towards the lift hill.

It's the same with NTaG. I noticed it all 3 of my NTaG rides, and I don't know what it is, but I noticed it. I have never heard it on IRaT, though.

TC doodles:

Ride stopped at least twice today; saw Kwerk during one of its outages. After that, one or two trains cycled and then one stopped at the bottom of the lift. They took 10-15 minutes to get the ride back online, but after waiting 20 min in 90-plus-degree heat, I just called it quits.

SR line was at least as long as the stand-by line.

Does Twisted Colossus make the squeaking noise when turning to the bunny hops before the lift hill. This was the case with Wicked Cyclone when it turned towards the lift hill.

It's the same with NTaG. I noticed it all 3 of my NTaG rides, and I don't know what it is, but I noticed it. I have never heard it on IRaT, though.

Yes it does, the noise comes from the spring suspension which helps make the ride smooth. Search back in this thread a ways the photo of said suspension was posted twice.

I went on Veterans Day a few years ago. It was sunny and pleasant. The shortest line I went on was a half hour, the longest was an hour and a half. I quickly realized I was not going to ride everything and did not have a flash pass. Perhaps you'll have the potential of rain for your visit and that will keep the crowds low. California really needs a wet rainy season to keep it habitable.

Thanks for the feedback! 30 minutes is the maximum I'd be willing to wait in line for a ride, so I guess it comes down to 1) expect a bad weather (any chances of rides being closed?), 2) buy a flash pass, 3) continue the road trip down to San Diego.

I'll wait and see how the day opens up weather-wise and how excited we are to go to SFMM. Cheers,