TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Went last week at SFMM. Hit FT first. The line was an average of 60 minutes, though we did see it longer during the early afternoon. We did X2 twice. It was my first time riding it, because every time I go to the parks it's always closed for maintenance. The ride was pretty cool. First time riding it, the ride was smooth (rode the front left inner row). Second time (front right outside row), it was rough. Green Lantern (or I like to call it Plan Parenthood), was smoother, but that was because the weight was balanced. I think we only flipped once. Overall, it was pretty good day. Use the Flash Pass, and barely waited in line.

The SR lines for GL and RR are really great because you literally bypass the entire queue. The SR line goes right to the dispatching ride operator who puts you in the next empty seat. With RR you can almost always walk straight onto a train without breaking stride. GL you may wait a couple minutes depending on how many uneven groups there are. Lex you can still sometimes wait 10-15 mins for, so if the line isn't longer than that it may not be worth it.

Yeah, I'd heard about GL, RR, Revolution, Viper, and Lex's single-rider lines. Where are GL's and RR's single-rider lines, though? I did some Google Street View walking through the park and I couldn't seem to find them. I presume they're in the rides' exits?

Hello!

I'm visiting SFMM on a Thursday at the beginning of June, and I will not be using any sort of Flash Pass. What kind of crowds should I expect? (Of course, I understand that X2 and YOLO will probably have long lines through 99.9% of days, GL is generally a slow loader, etc.) The following coasters are new credits to me, and I hope to hit as many as possible (in approximate order of importance):

-X2

-S:EFK

-GL

-YOLO

-BTR

-Apocalypse

-Riddler

-Lex (not a coaster, but would be interesting to try nonetheless)

-Goldrusher

I'm hearing that starting at YOLO and proceeding counter-clockwise around the park is a decent game plan, and ditto for riding X2 during a meal time.

Your thoughts?

X2 and Tatsu will have long lines all day (YOLO will too but if it has two trains the line moves quickly), so I suggest hitting those two first. X2 preferably first because everyone hits it first because it's the first thing the GP see when they drive up. Tatsu's entrance is a little hidden behind the terrain so the line doesn't build as quickly in the a.m. IMO

Any word on how long Colossus backwards will be going till? I ask cause I'm curious if they'll close the ride after, or just put it back to a forward operating coaster. If they close it by the end of May and indeed do the RMC makeover I think it could be done by April-May of 2015 due to not having bad winters out here and they could start construction in May.

Also I read somewhere that some higher ups from Six Flags including the park president were seen at Alton Towers looking over the Smiler. I don't know if this is a rumor, but it's around online (if that makes any bit of difference). Does anyone know if this is true, or just a rumor floating around? I'd personally love to see a ride like that or even a Eurofighter in maybe Dejas old spot. Iron Colossus and even a small Euro Fighter would make a GREAT 2015 season.

Hello!

I'm visiting SFMM on a Thursday at the beginning of June, and I will not be using any sort of Flash Pass. What kind of crowds should I expect? (Of course, I understand that X2 and YOLO will probably have long lines through 99.9% of days, GL is generally a slow loader, etc.) The following coasters are new credits to me, and I hope to hit as many as possible (in approximate order of importance):

-X2

-S:EFK

-GL

-YOLO

-BTR

-Apocalypse

-Riddler

-Lex (not a coaster, but would be interesting to try nonetheless)

-Goldrusher

I'm hearing that starting at YOLO and proceeding counter-clockwise around the park is a decent game plan, and ditto for riding X2 during a meal time.

Your thoughts?

Today I did Full Throttle, X2, Tatsu, Superman, and Riddler in less than an hour. If you plan to stay two or more days, get a gold season pass, because you get free parking, early entry(which does makes a huge difference), and you can go to all Six Flags parks for the rest of 2014. Best deal out there. Do Full Throttle first than go to X2, then try to go towards the back of the park , because the first hour and a half there's no one in DC Universe. Green Lantern, riddler, and Drop of Doom both have single rider lines that work quite well, and can be done later in the day. Trust me I go every week at least once if not that whole week.

Today I did YOLOcoaster, X2, Tatsu, Superman, and Riddler in less than an hour. If you plan to stay two or more days, get a gold season pass, because you get free parking, early entry(which does makes a huge difference), and you can go to all Six Flags parks for the rest of 2014. Best deal out there. Do YOLOcoaster first than go to X2, then try to go towards the back of the park , because the first hour and a half there's no one in DC Universe. Green Lantern, riddler, and Drop of Doom both have single rider lines that work quite well, and can be done later in the day. Trust me I go every week at least once if not that whole week.

I'll only be there for one day, and I probably won't make it there right when it opens for reasons beyond my control.

^^^Hmm. You can still see the original profiling on the flat section next to the parking lot. Reminds me of SFNE's Cyclone in that respect.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one to notice...

Edited by The49er

I really do miss that camel back... loved how the coaster would roar through the track, but when you hit the second hill of the camelback... everything would go silent, as the entire train was riding the upstops all the way to the bottom... .them BAM! you hit... and everything gets loud again... (the airtime was intense!!!)

JT

I think every thread on TPR now includes.....

- I want my local park to get an RMC

- I want my local park to get an RMC Iron Horse treatment on (insert old/aging/rough/forgotten woodie)

- Rumor has it my local park is getting an RMC

- B&M sucks

- YOLO bee-ah-ch!

- Wouldn't it be great if my local park replaced that pathetic post 2000 B&M with an RMC

- RMC

- B&M fail

- Banshee looks slow even though its going 68mph midway through the run, the ride is a dog!

^Lets not forget these:

• -"Not enough ejector air, this ride is mediocre."
    -"2.5 gs? I want 6 gs!!!"
    -"This wing coaster isn't as intense as the other B&Ms. Even though they're designed to provide two completely different experiences, I will judge them as if they were the same."

^Lets not forget these:

• -"Not enough ejector air, this ride is mediocre."
    -"2.5 gs? I want 6 gs!!!"
    -"This wing coaster isn't as intense as the other B&Ms. Even though they're designed to provide two completely different experiences, I will judge them as if they were the same."

And

- Six Flags Sucks

- Legoland is heaven on Earth

- Disney Rocks

- Universal Sucks

- SyFy!!!

- (Insert park) needs 50 new kids rides cause kids only have 20 rides in the park

The SR lines for GL and RR are really great because you literally bypass the entire queue. The SR line goes right to the dispatching ride operator who puts you in the next empty seat. With RR you can almost always walk straight onto a train without breaking stride. GL you may wait a couple minutes depending on how many uneven groups there are. Lex you can still sometimes wait 10-15 mins for, so if the line isn't longer than that it may not be worth it.

Yeah, I'd heard about GL, RR, Revolution, Viper, and Lex's single-rider lines. Where are GL's and RR's single-rider lines, though? I did some Google Street View walking through the park and I couldn't seem to find them. I presume they're in the rides' exits?

Yeah they are pretty hard to find if you don't know where to look. For GL when you walk up the exitway, it's the staircase that *isnt* the one exiting riders are using. It literally leads to behind the back of the operator who is dispatching the trains, so work backwards from there if you don't see it right away. When you go up the stairs politely let the operator know you're there, remembering that they're working so try not to distract or surprise them.

For RR it's even tougher, you follow the exitway around until just before you get to the lockers (if you come to the lockers or the flash pass entrance then you passed it). There's a sign on the building to your right that marks a nondescript doorway with a staircase inside that leads to the opposite side of the loading station. Unlike GL, an operator will usually notice you right away and more often than not put you on the first train.