TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The YOLO drink would be grease, hair, cellphone parts, scraped gum, and Coke.

If there is not an official tie-in then Coke could get pretty upset with them (lawsuit maybe?). Seems like a funny coincidence though that the two are so similar but you would think by now a tie in would have been announced or confirmed, I mean the ride is almost done.... why "hide" a tie in for this long?

I think the park is paying for licensing but choosing not to officially tie them together. Some of the letters in the two versions pictured are VERY close to their counterparts and the two logos overall are just too similar... My two cents.

Will tomorrow be a good day to go to the park? I may go and I'll see if there is anything new happening!

I think it will be pretty empty. Most school students in there area are taking finals this week and next week. The holiday weekend is coming up so the masses will want to wait until then to go. Weekdays during the non-peak season are Great to go.

Will tomorrow be a good day to go to the park? I may go and I'll see if there is anything new happening!

On the SFMM web site under the events tab it shows a "group event" for tomorrow the 23rd.

It does not list the size of the group, but it should still be nice day.

I, too, visited the park on Monday. While I agree with most of what has been said of the park in recent weeks, there are a few points I want to emphasize.

What's the deal with X2? As others have mentioned, the ride was running pretty violently (in terms of forward and backward shaking). I'm curious why this is the case. IMO, the ride has returned to pre-conversion roughness, even though I was under the impression that the lighter trains were supposed to alleviate this issue. Is the park not doing as much maintenance as they should be doing? Do the trains tear themselves apart? I'm no expert on the mechanics of the ride, but it looks like the trains need tightened somehow so that they don't rotate so freely...

I really enjoyed my Colossus ride! The ride was surprisingly smooth and provided a good deal of fun. TBH, I'm not sure how I feel about the rumored Rocky Mountain conversion. As much as I'd love to gain an intense Iron Rattler / Texas Giant experience, I'd also hate to lose this classic, more family friendly offering.

Made use of the single rider line for GL and LL:DoD, but boy, do those two rides have low capacities! Park was pretty dead (X2 and Tatsu each had one or two train waits during the day), but these attractions still sported a decent wait.

Overall, had a blast during my visit! Employees were friendly, efficient (albeit many rides were only doing one train), and the park, for the most part, looked pretty good.

I, too, visited the park on Monday. While I agree with most of what has been said of the park in recent weeks, there are a few points I want to emphasize.

What's the deal with X2? As others have mentioned, the ride was running pretty violently (in terms of forward and backward shaking). I'm curious why this is the case. IMO, the ride has returned to pre-conversion roughness, even though I was under the impression that the lighter trains were supposed to alleviate this issue. Is the park not doing as much maintenance as they should be doing? Do the trains tear themselves apart? I'm no expert on the mechanics of the ride, but it looks like the trains need tightened somehow so that they don't rotate so freely...

I really enjoyed my Colossus ride! The ride was surprisingly smooth and provided a good deal of fun. TBH, I'm not sure how I feel about the rumored Rocky Mountain conversion. As much as I'd love to gain an intense Iron Rattler / Texas Giant experience, I'd also hate to lose this classic, more family friendly offering.

Made use of the single rider line for GL and LL:DoD, but boy, do those two rides have low capacities! Park was pretty dead (X2 and Tatsu each had one or two train waits during the day), but these attractions still sported a decent wait.

Idk much about X2, as I don't live in that area, and haven't ridden it, but my best guess is that obesity rates are rising, causing the trains to be the same weight as the old ones, making the ride rough lol

Seriously tho, all I know is that I hope it gets fixed, as I may be goin to California in the next few years, and want the best experience on all the rides at SFMM

Overall, had a blast during my visit! Employees were friendly, efficient (albeit many rides were only doing one train), and the park, for the most part, looked pretty good.

Idk much about X2, as I don't live in that area, and haven't ridden it, but my best guess is that obesity rates are rising, causing the trains to be the same weight as the old ones, making the ride rough lol

Seriously tho, all I know is that I hope it gets fixed, as I may be goin to California in the next few years, and want the best experience on all the rides at SFMM

Even if the ride is "violent", I don't have any problem with it. It never hurts to ride if you get the restraints on right, and although the trains rumble around a lot (the ride isn't rattly or bumpy from what I've noticed), it kind of adds to the chaotic nature and theme of the ride. It's a great ride; I still don't see why so many people don't like it.

Even if the ride is "violent", I don't have any problem with it. It never hurts to ride if you get the restraints on right, and although the trains rumble around a lot (the ride isn't rattly or bumpy from what I've noticed), it kind of adds to the chaotic nature and theme of the ride. It's a great ride; I still don't see why so many people don't like it.

This is exactly how I feel about X2.

Hello TPR crew, I was invited by a friend to hit up MM yesterday 5/21/2013 to do some undercover work!

So we arrived at the park around 10:20am and the parking line was long………………!I see these kids running up in the street and I noticed it was a Jr High School Grad Day, so it was filled with dumb ass kids. We waited 25 min’s at the security gates to walk through the scanners. Okay I have such a big beef with the dumb ass public. If you know you are going to a theme park and you are taking a backpack or purse PLEASE PLEASE, have it ready for inspection and don’t bring stuff you can take in! So many people had to take stuff back to the cars. I want to give the security crew a big Kudos for being stern! Once inside we made our trek to Apocalypse to find one train operation with an empty station (of course Tatsu & X2 were packed since everybody made the mad dash to them). I have to say this coaster was working in full force. I can’t member it being that fast but leaving the ride I was sadden to see the lumber looking so bad.

After that we headed to Colossus, I do have to give compliments to the crew on Colossus around 12:30pm! So many people were trying to get on the ride with purses and other stuff and they were not letting it happen. A few people were pissed that they couldn’t and walked off. People this is for safety and they are doing their jobs to protect us and the ride. This big beast was running smoother than normal and we loved it. Once we exited the train my friend went up to the employee and let her know of the great job she and her crew were doing. He did tell her where he was from and she was looked a little fearful!

Overall the park was nice, the Bar B Que by Roaring Rapids was good and always the lemon slushy drink was always good on a hot day! Ride lines were short and minimal. We tried to get train pic’s of FT train but could not find it! The area is coming out nice with landscaping taking place on the hill. We left the park at 5pm but before that we stopped at Guest Relations to speak with supervisors and leave compliments for certain park employees that stood out and followed the rules

Revo.thumb.JPG.33aeba54c75a6c77f278ee280a1b59c0.JPG

Revolution with a line that i haven't seen in a few years.

Apocalypse.thumb.JPG.9bbdda7c17d31c328581402780c6d95a.JPG

Apocalypse at 11:47pm with a dead station

1648570996_YoloUpdate.thumb.JPG.8f0744131c883dc6927e9a9568fdf7bf.JPG

FT getting station in order

For me, it's the bashing of my calves that hurts. I literally can't ride it without lifting up my legs and putting my heels hard against the seat. But that's just me and my size. Other than that, the ride isn't too rough for me. There are definitely a lot more that are worse.

Even if the ride is "violent"; I still don't see why so many people don't like it.

I think you answered your own question. I like X2 when it's running well and isn't literally BEATINGTHESHIT out of me. When it's running poorly, I'm in the camp where I don't understand how so many people like it!

Edited by robbalvey

If you don't keep your head back you get the crap beat out of you and end up with a headache.

This isn't true at all! Are you suggesting I don't know how to ride a roller coaster????

Maybe it's just that I've been on 1,500 different coasters, and having been on some of the best rides in the world, and X2 in "BEATINGTHESHITOUTOFYOU" mode doesn't stack up.

I can see where someone who has been on 50 coasters, and X2 being one of them might grade the ride better, but trust me on this, when it's running badly, it's one of the roughest coasters in the world. And it doesn't matter if your head is so far back in the seat I leave a bald spot impression. Don't feed me that line of BS.

Edited by robbalvey

^ You don't give people an excuse when they haven't ridden a lot of coasters. I'm only at 150 and X2 is near the bottom of my list. When I first rode it I a only at like 60 coasters and I still wasn't impressed. I think it's a cool concept, but made uncomfortably to where it's not a lot of fun.

If you don't keep your head back you get the crap beat out of you and end up with a headache.

This isn't true at all! Are you suggesting I don't know how to ride a roller coaster????

Maybe it's just that I've been on 1,500 different coasters, and have been on some of the best rides in the world, and X2 in "BEATINGTHESHITOUTOFYOU" mode doesn't stack up.

I can see where someone who has been on 50 coasters, and X2 probably being one of them might grade the ride better, but trust me on this, when it's running badly, it's one of the roughest coasters in the world. And it doesn't matter if you keep your head back or not. Don't feed me that line of BS.

I'm not feeding you anything Robb I'm simply stating what I said. I wasn't questioning what you have ridden, your experience, or any of that. And actually I was responding to a previous post. I was not trying to offend you or anything so I don't feel I deserved that. Everytime I have ridden it if I did not keep my head back I got bashed around badly, so for me it is true. Obviously you have been on hundreds/thousands probably more coasters than I have, I was not suggesting you don't know how to ride at all, I never even said that.

I cannot question the experience of someone who has done something many, many more times- all over the world, more that I have.

^ Sorry if you felt you didn't deserve that, but it sounded like you were telling me how I should be riding a roller coaster as your comment came directly after mine. How was I supposed to know any differently when you didn't quote what you were responding to, or use a ^^ to point out the post you were referencing?

--Robb "Next time please try to be a bit more clear with your response..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

For me, it's the bashing of my calves that hurts. I literally can't ride it without lifting up my legs and putting my heels hard against the seat. But that's just me and my size. Other than that, the ride isn't too rough for me. There are definitely a lot more that are worse.

That's how I ride X2 also. Beats up my hammies too bad if I don't.

Robb/TMC: You guys posted at the same time, hence the confusion.

Not attempting to start a fight here, but will there be a point where you can actually type the name of the park's new coaster without it filtering to YOLO?

Also, just watched the Future Scream Machines thing that was on Travel Channel (nice job, Alveys!) and I was wondering if transportation companies have any sort of presence there? What I mean is that this park is basically down to one transportation "ride', and I'm curious if any parks would ever consider adding a transportation system/ride in the future? Obviously I'm correlating their existence at IAAPA to there possibly being a market for an established park to add a train/ride/monorail etc. It seems like the "future" of transportation (if there is one) would be about the only chance that this park would add back any sort of sky ride/train/monorail system.

^ Sorry if you felt you didn't deserve that, but it sounded like you were telling me how I should be riding a roller coaster as your comment came directly after mine. How was I supposed to know any differently when you didn't quote what you were responding to, or use a ^^ to point out the post you were referencing?

--Robb "Next time please try to be a bit more clear with your response..." Alvey

No problem Robb, I understand, and no hard feelings either.