TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On my last few visits I have experience some of both, but not NEARLY enough to come even close to the 2001-2005 period. With the exception of Tatsu and Superman, the park has been running multiple trains all summer long. The Tatsu situation continues to be awful though, and there is no excuse for it. I'd say it's one of the worst run rides in the country.

The park remains very clean and very few coasters are ever closed for an entire day as in the past. The employees are here and there but overall very friendly and concerned with rider comfort so no big problems there.

While the front areas of the park are beautiful, the back area is a dump and is really in need of an overhaul.

Overall, I don't feel like I'm visiting a park where no one cares. I just feel like there are still key areas of failure that keep this park from being great.

Sorry to be the pessimist here, but I have a feeling the coaster will be delayed to 2014. Like a lot of the biggest companies in the country now, who are currently trimming budgets or postponing upcoming projects due to the "weakening" economy and the uncertainty about "taxmaggedon" that is coming in December, I just have this uneasy feeling that there going to wait and see first. I really hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't pass it by them.

I understand and respect the comments for or against it, but personally I still can't get my mind wrapped around the idea of a portable slingshot in the chain's flagship park... I'm left to wonder if there will be a Carnival cruises kiosk nearby? Way to stay klassy SFMM.

It aready has. On my last visit to the park I saw:

Piss poor guest service

One train operations on the most popular rides

Rides opening late.

Closed rides.

Overflowing trash cans.

Magic Mountain has returned to being the EXTREMELY bad park.

When was your last visit to the park? Was it in the winter or offseason?

I HATE when people post PTRs bashing SFMM from an offseason visit. Yes, SFMM is mediocre at best in the offseason with half ass maintenance and rides running one train. But considering they don't have an offseason, we're lucky they're even keeping the park open!!!! I heard sooo many people complain of the mess the park had this offseason and at WCB, like honestly yes they were clearing a ton of land for Lex and the 2013 coaster! Some people just don't understand and idk why but it really gets under my skin.... lol

I'm not bashing you at all, especially since I'm not even sure if ur last visit was in the offseason. I just had to get that out of me!

^One thing more people should consider is the condition of operations at Busch Tampa. Now, for the overall park experience, SFMM doesn't even come close to BGT. However, operations are comparable, as BGT is known for its poor operations, partly due to offseason work. Yet, more people seem to complain about SFMM, which goes through the same drills. In fact, under some circumstances, SFMM ops may actually be superior to that of BGT (Gwazi, anyone?)

SFMM does not deliver an excellent park experience, but BGT, one of the world's greatest parks, can suffer similar issues with operations.

Ok so no one has posted this yet but August 30th is the day for the big announcement(s) for 2013. Six Flags will be announcing just about ally of their 2013 plans at once this year! Let the impatience begin!

Of all the 300000000 things at SFMM that bother me, the Slingshot being a carnival version isn't one of them.

Does this company have any other installations of this at parks that are permanent

Yes. Those supports match exactly with the portable model. The park model uses a different support structure.

Here's the thing...I get WHY Six Flags would do it. It's cheap. It's easy. It's money. Fine. But don't we expect more from the park? We complain about tacky train wraps, things looking like crap, poor customer service, etc., etc. Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high) falls right in line with all the tacky/cheap/easy way out things SFMM does that this thread is filled with complaints about. It's just more proof that the park is headed back to the "old" SFMM.

^But when placed in major theme parks, they are the park models. Again, I understand the business behind it. I just think it is tacky. Which seems to be par for the course @ SFMM anyways...

You are joking right?

This is a straight replacement, up charge for up charge.

Most parks have maybe 2 or 3, good rides. Some a few more, if they are lucky.

You have a park that boasts 17 ( yes 17!) thrill rides.

You have this park with all these thrills and you still complain!

"Well not many would make my top 10!" ..... Seriously, you pretentious *****!

Some of you don't know how lucky you are....

You absolutely need a dose of reality.

If a park, which is focused on thrill rides, keeps adding more thrill rides but spends less on shows, characters walking around and extra landscaping, then great.... I don't go there for shows, I don't want to meet a student in an outfit, I go for one reason only.

If you don't want that, go and enjoy some sugar coated, cheesy park like Disney....Please!....make sure you visit their vomit inducing gift shop on the way out and buy a t-shirt and silly hat.

Personally, I can't stand all that fake, plastic, sugar coated "have a nice day" crap, served up to you by Disney and others.

And yet, I don't go onto that other threads saying this and that bother me.....

Ok, i get it, there are a few intrusive ad's here and there, so what? You dont have to buy the stuff!

Six Flags have just DOUBLED their profits....Personally I can put up with that if it finances improved or new rides.

Try and understand the bigger picture, the park is slowly improving things bit by bit, but it is a long term project. There are budgets, there are no magic wands. As long as the rides are well maintained, the park is clean and safe, you should have NO complaints.

Don't like it?

Don't go. Simple.

While you are at it, go on a different thread instead of coming on here spilling your bile and hatred because you have "30000000 things that bother you."

Do you know what bothers me?

People like you bother me.

You don't add anything to the discussion, you just complain.

Are you that spoilt? How entitled are you?

Your complaints are tiresome, so please do one of the following:

A) Don't visit a park like SFMM, if it is not a park for you, but then don't come on here bitching

B) Go to the park, enjoy it for what it is and just put a sock in it. You sound like a spoilt teenage girl.

EDIT:this post is aimed at more than one person. It is the usual whiners, all of you. You know who you are.

BTW a SEASON PASS is $70! .... You seem to forget that

Edited by indiana695

It aready has. On my last visit to the park I saw:

Piss poor guest service

One train operations on the most popular rides

Rides opening late.

Closed rides.

Overflowing trash cans.

Magic Mountain has returned to being the EXTREMELY bad park.

When was your last visit to the park? Was it in the winter or offseason?

I HATE when people post PTRs bashing SFMM from an offseason visit. Yes, SFMM is mediocre at best in the offseason with half A$$ maintenance and rides running one train. But considering they don't have an offseason, we're lucky they're even keeping the park open!!!! I heard sooo many people complain of the mess the park had this offseason and at WCB, like honestly yes they were clearing a ton of land for Lex and the 2013 coaster! Some people just don't understand and idk why but it really gets under my skin.... lol

I'm not bashing you at all, especially since I'm not even sure if ur last visit was in the offseason. I just had to get that out of me!

Agreed!

Some people don't know when they have a good thing. In the off season, rides are often a walk on. The park runs on a smaller staff.

^^ Two things I must ask: have you ever been to SFMM? Sure they have some great rides, I don't believe anyone here is doubting that, but the way the park is operated just seems sub-par in mine and others eyes, and not just during the off season.

And I have never known a theme park enthusiast who hasn't liked Disney, how could it be a candy coated crap park? Disney is Disney, it's not fake it's sincere.

My opinion on the sling-shot, I really don't care whether or not it it is permanent, I probably won't end up riding it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they have something unique planned for the 2013 coaster.

Before this debate gets even more out of hand, I will leave it with a few key points:

#1. Please be more respectful on this site. It's definitely OK to disagree, but coming off like an "internet tough guy" isn't going to help your argument or do anything except get you banned.

#2. I DON'T visit SFMM frequently. I choose to back up my opinions of the park by not spending my money there (except for West Coast Bash---which to me is about supporting TPR, not the park). $70 is much better spent elsewhere, such as saving up for a TPR trip to ride a real "world class" coaster somewhere else in the country/world.

#3. There's no such thing as an "off season" in Southern California. SFMM not only competing with the other parks in the region, but all the other ways one can spend their discretionary income. A bad visit in the "off season" is still a bad business practice and should not be excused IMO.

#4. The Slingshot: It makes sense from a business standpoint. Fine. To me, it just symbolizes what SFMM is all about: taking the easy way out. That's just my take on it, nothing more, nothing less. I'll just add it to the list of things that make me laugh about SFMM and continue spending my money elsewhere.

Of all the 300000000 things at SFMM that bother me, the Slingshot being a carnival version isn't one of them.

Does this company have any other installations of this at parks that are permanent

Yes. Those supports match exactly with the portable model. The park model uses a different support structure.

Here's the thing...I get WHY Six Flags would do it. It's cheap. It's easy. It's money. Fine. But don't we expect more from the park? We complain about tacky train wraps, things looking like crap, poor customer service, etc., etc. Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high) falls right in line with all the tacky/cheap/easy way out things SFMM does that this thread is filled with complaints about. It's just more proof that the park is headed back to the "old" SFMM.

^But when placed in major theme parks, they are the park models. Again, I understand the business behind it. I just think it is tacky. Which seems to be par for the course @ SFMM anyways...

You are joking right?

If a park, which is focused on thrill rides, keeps adding more thrill rides but spends less on shows, characters walking around and extra landscaping, then great.... I don't go there for shows, I don't want to meet a student in an outfit, I go for one reason only.

If you don't want that, go and enjoy some sugar coated, cheesy park like Disney....Please!....make sure you visit their vomit inducing gift shop on the way out and buy a t-shirt and silly hat.

Personally, I can't stand all that fake, plastic, sugar coated "have a nice day" crap, served up to you by Disney and others.

Ok, i get it, there are a few intrusive ad's here and there, so what? You dont have to buy the stuff!

Six Flags have just DOUBLED their profits....Personally I can put up with that if it finances improved or new rides.

Try and understand the bigger picture, the park is slowly improving things bit by bit, but it is a long term project. There are budgets, there are no magic wands. As long as the rides are well maintained, the park is clean and safe, you should have NO complaints.

Don't like it?

Don't go. Simple.

While you are at it, go on a different thread instead of coming on here spilling your bile and hatred because you have "30000000 things that bother you."

A) Don't visit a park like SFMM, if it is not a park for you, but then don't come on here bitching

B) Go to the park, enjoy it for what it is and just put a sock in it. You sound like a spoilt teenage girl.

EDIT:this post is aimed at more than one person. It is the usual whiners, all of you. You know who you are.

Thank you so much for giving everyone here a good dose of reality! I am so tired of the endless complaining here. If you love roller coasters, this is one of the premier parks in the world!

And for those saying their coasters don't make their top ten, you just have usual coaster preferences (nothing wrong with that). Coasters like Tatsu and X2 are considered some of the best in the world (just ask anyone who isn't fortunate enough to live close to this park. They'd love to visit!). Their coaster lineup is stacked with top-notch coasters! Goliath, Apocalypse, Riddler's Revenge, Scream, and Viper could all be considered the star attraction of a lesser amusement park, yet here at SFMM, you get complaints about the parking lot (really?)!

I will continue to spend my money there supporting them, and enjoying their future innovations!

Thank you so much for giving everyone here a good dose of reality! I am so tired of the endless complaining here. If you love roller coasters, this is one of the premier parks in the world!

And for those saying their coasters don't make their top ten, you just have usual coaster preferences (nothing wrong with that). Coasters like Tatsu and X2 are considered some of the best in the world (just ask anyone who isn't fortunate enough to live close to this park. They'd love to visit!). Their coaster lineup is stacked with top-notch coasters! Goliath, Apocalypse, Riddler's Revenge, Scream, and Viper could all be considered the star attraction of a lesser amusement park, yet here at SFMM, you get complaints about the parking lot (really?)!

I will continue to spend my money there supporting them, and enjoying their future innovations!

I have to agree with that.

You are joking right?

Don't like it?

Don't go. Simple.

Let me be the 2nd moderator to tell you this: Please do not make another post like this! You are going to need to find another way to express your opinion, because your attacking manner of posting will not be tolerated on this forum.

To conclude, you are welcome to your opinion, just find a more constructive way of expressing it.

Me as well. I don't think the park is ever going to become a "well-rounded park" because that's just not how they make their money. They're never going to compete with the other SoCal parks without their "Xtreme" branding. We just have to learn to accept that. Is there anyone on this forum who goes to SFMM for anything OTHER than the coasters? We have Disneyland, Knott's, and even Universal for anything else. I have trouble complaining about anything other than cleanliness and operations. There are going to be people who don't have X2 and Tatsu high on their lists, but I'm sure plenty of people do considering what they are. We have those two, a nice hyper in Goliath, a nice woddie, one of the best standusps, and more... Are we forgetting the park just got the world's tallest drop tower as well? We and the park have been spoiled, when they've put so much money into the rides (which, again, is why we go there).

Fair enough.

Maybe I am a little aggressive, maybe a little to harsh?

I apologize for this.... I read these forums and am astounded by comments, often by people who have never even visited the park!

But perspective please!

I have been to parks all over the world, however I go back to SFMM the most. It is thrilling, the rides are (mostly) excellent and you get unlimited access to ALL six flags parks for about $70. It is insanely cheap.

Now think about that for a moment. $70 for unlimited access.

^^ Two things I must ask: have you ever been to SFMM? Sure they have some great rides, I don't believe anyone here is doubting that, but the way the park is operated just seems sub-par in mine and others eyes, and not just during the off season.

And I have never known a theme park enthusiast who hasn't liked Disney, how could it be a candy coated crap park? Disney is Disney, it's not fake it's sincere.

Yes, I frequently visit SFMM. It is thrilling park which is very affordable.

I have been to Disney a few times, but while it is 'Magical' a single day ticket is over $80. More than an entire season of combined Six flags visits.

Before this debate gets even more out of hand, I will leave it with a few key points:

#1. Please be more respectful on this site. It's definitely OK to disagree, but coming off like an "internet tough guy" isn't going to help your argument or do anything except get you banned.

#2. I DON'T visit SFMM frequently. I choose to back up my opinions of the park by not spending my money there (except for West Coast Bash---which to me is about supporting TPR, not the park). $70 is much better spent elsewhere, such as saving up for a TPR trip to ride a real "world class" coaster somewhere else in the country/world.

#3. There's no such thing as an "off season" in Southern California. SFMM not only competing with the other parks in the region, but all the other ways one can spend their discretionary income. A bad visit in the "off season" is still a bad business practice and should not be excused IMO.

#4. The Slingshot: It makes sense from a business standpoint. Fine. To me, it just symbolizes what SFMM is all about: taking the easy way out. That's just my take on it, nothing more, nothing less. I'll just add it to the list of things that make me laugh about SFMM and continue spending my money elsewhere.

1) Sorry, I was a little abrupt. I'm not an "internet tough guy" But I stand by my points. I get frustrated with people who have a soapbox, who make outlandish statements, without having any actual knowledge or experience of ride mechanics, corporate business and/or park operations.

2) How many years of saving $70 would cover an entire trip? Would love to meet your travel agent!

3) To clarify off season, I would say when the park is only open weekends and when a large portion of cliental are in school and attendance is a fraction of peak times. This is known in the trade as an off season.

4) It is a like for like replacement, on a tiny footprint.

Some parks have an astronomical budget to make it much more than a theme park, or are located in a higher populated area. This is the unrealistic yardstick that SFMM is being compared to.

Please indulge me for a minute while I try and put this in perspective.

Let me be clear, that this is an exaggeration to make a point.

Ok.

I need a car.

I see a Rolls Royce that costs $200,000. I love Rolls Royce's. What enthusiast doesn't?

I view it in a marble showroom, a beautiful, elegant, well manicured hostess makes me a coffee. The best coffee money can buy!

I see the car. It has a team of engineers on standby, a service centre that caters to my every whim, even when I run out of window washer fluid!

It's beautiful, shiny, runs like a dream.

It is a wonderful experience to drive, but I prefer cars with more guts.

But I can only afford $1000 for a car.

For $1000 I could hire it for the day.

Or...

I take the same $1000 down to Vern's used cars.

No marble showroom, just an oily forecourt, located in a cheaper part of town with a lot less customers. There are billboards with advertising to help with the rent. After all, all income helps because Vern has just come out of bankruptcy.

No elegant hostess, just a guy called Vern. He has a combover and is chewing gum. Maybe some vending machine coffee, if I have the right change.

Vern shows me an old clunker car for a $1000. It's not shiny. It runs ok, it will get me around. No engineers, no customer service,basically I am on my own. But it is mine.

It does the same, it gets me around, maybe not as smoothly, not as polished but probably more thrilling to drive.

I would have a car that will last for a year. A whole year.

2 options:

1)Either I don't buy the car, rent one the nice one for the day. I am very happy with it and look forward to next year, when I can rent it again for the whole day!

2)I buy the cheap car. I can can see how it is not as good, but I appreciate the value. I accept it for what it is. I am grateful that it works, it gets me where I need to go.

If I was to tell you that some people that buy the $1000 car, then stand around complaining about the service centre, the vending machine coffee, Vern's B.O. and the lack of decent landscaping on his forecourt..... If I was to tell you that, you would be astonished right?

How about other people that don't even visit the forecourt, but go and tell as many people that they can how poor the cars are, how the forecourt is ugly and the service is bad.

So what can Vern do?

A few options:

Option 1:

Vern listens to all the feedback, and acts upon it. He puts some nice flowers on his forecourt, he employs an assistant to make better coffee and gets rid of the vending machine. He ditches the combover and buys a new shirt.... but that money has to come from somewhere, so next year, the same car costs you $2000.

As the cars are now more expensive, less customers are coming. Sales slow down. Bills start to stack up. Inventory is cut back, the assistant is laid off. A cheap coffee vending machine is purchased from craigslist...... In a year or two bankruptcy is looming.

Does option 1 sound like a good business plan?

Option 2:

Vern does nothing, things fall into disrepair, profits are spent on entirely on more inventory. But their are cracks appearing on the forecourt, the paint is peeling on the signs.....

Does option 2 sound like a good business plan?

Option 3:

Vern decides to find a balance. He listens to peoples feedback, but knows that he has a tight budget. To be able to keep his cars priced low enough so sales don't dry up, he needs to improve things gradually. He knows he can't compete with the big dealerships down the street, they are in a different league.

He can't keep everyone happybut he can find a balance. He plans flower seeds for next year, instead of instant, expensive landscaping.

He buys another vending machine that sells candy, the profit he makes pays for some new paint. He repaints the signs himself, instead of employing additional contractors. Next year he will repair the cracks in the forecourt.

He re-themes an areas of the forecourt, one at a time. Budget section, sports car section, luxury section etc.

He is careful not to overspend, but now he is a little more careful with what cars he buys.

By being wise with his business plan, not overspending and gradually improving he finds he can keep prices low and finds a good balance. He is slowly improving the entire property, piece by piece.

After all, he inherited this business from his family who had neglected it for years, forcing it into bankruptcy.

Ok, I know this analogy dragged on a bit, and it is exaggerated, but can you see the points?

Recently a little extra care has been taken by SFMM.

Different types of rides added with additional theming ( Green Lantern, LL-DOD) versus previous efforts.

Areas of the park are slowly being worked on. DC Universe recently, soon Cyclone Bay and Colossus Count Fair.

In addition, they are still able to allocate money for future rides, without going into debt. They have just DOUBLED profits, which in this economy is very credible.

Sure, corners are cut with decoration, theming and guest services but they have to, for now..... but I'm sure this will improve with the right people in charge.

Their operating budget is minuscule compared to Disney, Universal etc. The ratio of staff to rides need to be considered..... You may say, well instead of putting in new rides, they should have more staff, but they don't even have a fraction of attendees, their revenue is not even in the same universe, so to put aside all this extra money would rise ticket prices, therefore lowering attendance, lowering revenue etc.

It is a business after all.

Anybody on here who has frequently visited the park over the years, will be able to see recent improvements, they are slow and steady, but it is improving.

So to summarize, be patient, give the park a chance and accept it for what it is.

Giving nicknames to park management, jumping on any critical bandwagons without having considered the 'big picture' and saying the park is 'just crap' because it is not manicured within an inch of its life is very unfortunate and makes the typical bashing statements, that are common here, seem rather rather silly don't you think?

Perspective.

Me as well. I don't think the park is ever going to become a "well-rounded park" because that's just not how they make their money. They're never going to compete with the other SoCal parks without their "Xtreme" branding. We just have to learn to accept that. Is there anyone on this forum who goes to SFMM for anything OTHER than the coasters? We have Disneyland, Knott's, and even Universal for anything else. I have trouble complaining about anything other than cleanliness and operations. There are going to be people who don't have X2 and Tatsu high on their lists, but I'm sure plenty of people do considering what they are. We have those two, a nice hyper in Goliath, a nice woddie, one of the best standusps, and more... Are we forgetting the park just got the world's tallest drop tower as well? We and the park have been spoiled, when they've put so much money into the rides (which, again, is why we go there).

There is only Cedar Point that even compares to thrills, in the world!

Last weekend I had free tickets to Knott's and yet chose to go to SFMM, why? because, spending the day being thrilled is more important to me than seeing less trash in the garbage bins!

In addition, people forget that the might Knott's also have an upcharge attraction in Screaming Swing.... Is that less tacky?

I wonder if there are people on the Knott's forum complaining that money should be spent on coaster instead of trash pickers?