TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

TPR should change it's name to TPC Theme Park Complaints

I don't see how the removal of the museum reverted this park back to 1999/2000, I was just at the park no more then a week or two ago and I didn't see trash cans overflowing, trash filled ques, nor did I see poop smeared restrooms I would even go as far to say the park looked better then it has in years imo.

Jumping on the SFMM bash wagon is so 90's Like I've said time and time again if SFMM is just to despicable to you then you don't have to go!!!

^ At least with TPR, it's okay to voice your opinion. I think there's a lot of SFMM veterans on here who have seen the changes, just in the past year or so. Even at WCB, I noticed a decline.

Theme Park REVIEW.. Unlike other clubs, where everything has to be positive, even if it's not true.

^^ I don't think it's "as bad" as it was in 2003-2008, it would take a LOT for it to get to that point.

But, I think those of us who frequent the park a lot have noticed a steady and evident decline since Jay left.

Also, history is not on Magic Mountain's side. The Sky Tower, while not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things is an "indicator" of where the park is putting it's priorities. There are quite a few things that have needed attention for a LONG time that just don't seem to be getting it.

Another indicator is this picture that I took last week for the MiceChat update. Whereas the "convenience center" got totally gutted, leaving just the frame, it's quite evident (IMO) that they are going to leave the old arcade wall as it looks in this photo with the new facade. If they were going to do something about that wall they probably would have done it already (again IMO).

I don't see how the removal of the museum reverted this park back to 1999/2000, I was just at the park no more then a week or two ago and I didn't see trash cans overflowing, trash filled ques, nor did I see poop smeared restrooms I would even go as far to say the park looked better then it has in years imo.

Jumping on the SFMM bash wagon is so 90's Like I've said time and time again if SFMM is just to despicable to you then you don't have to go!!!

So kind of like posting or reading opinions/"complaints" on a forum, no?

Oh, and TPC has been taken for quite some time. Sorry.

I'm glad you enjoy the park, keep on enjoying it. Like others have said, if you can't see the changes you either are blind or trying not to see them.

It's not a huge deal by any means, but it's there and we're all just hoping for more after seeing what the park was capable for (even if it was for just a short time).

You're my hero for posting this!

When people hear a couple of bad reports, even mildly bad ones, they just get so ridiculously negative! I don't get it, at all. The park has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years. They made one unimprovement, and you all start bashing the park in every possible way.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that they might just be relocating the items to other areas of the park, the lower level of Sky Tower, or even just reorganizing the room?

^^ More than a couple of bad reports; a lot of us have been there personally.

You're going to tell me that you read all of the negativity about WCB and you think nothing has changed at SFMM other than relocating a ride? Or getting rid of a museum?

No.. a lot more than that has changed.

The park has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years.

Exactly. The park was looking phenomenal a few years ago. But now, not so much.

^^^ It's not just "one unimprovement". Did you even read the previous posts where people were stating their case?

Let's just break it down:

- Horrid operations on Tatsu (to be fair, this has been the case since day one)

- Not running Green Lantern the way it's supposed to run

- No more music on Apocalypse and (apparently) X2

- Removal of Sky Tower museum

- Trash not removed nightly

- Upkeep on Bathrooms not being kept up

And nobody even mentioned the lack of park involvement with WCB this year (but that still goes to demonstrate the lack of desire on the part of park management to keep improving, or even keeping the status quo).

Not sure why people think we are just talking out of our asses and complaining for the sake of complaining.

Again, it's not "really" about the museum, it's just another step in the wrong direction that we've all seen at this park in the past. Maybe you just aren't old enough to remember?

And if they do end up putting the museum back I'll be the first one to credit them. But seeing as the sign has also been removed from the front of the Sky Tower (yeah) the chances of it going back in the Sky Tower are slim/none.

Sign:

No Sign:

I'd also like to think where it would end up besides there? If there is any empty spot for a museum don't you think the park is going to use that for a store or game that actually makes them $$?

Another indicator is this picture that I took last week for the MiceChat update. Whereas the "convenience center" got totally gutted, leaving just the frame, it's quite evident (IMO) that they are going to leave the old arcade wall as it looks in this photo with the new facade. If they were going to do something about that wall they probably would have done it already (again IMO).

My guess is they will retreat the wall at the same time they treat all the plywood they put up for the facade. Why paint one wall when the others aren't ready to be painted?

When Jay Thomas came to the park, he really knew what he was doing. He cleaned the place up, and made trips to the park a lot more bearable. I really miss Jay and what he did for the park, cleanliness wise and ride wise, an overall family friendly place. I really enjoyed the park during his "presidency". Now with Bonnie Rabjohn, the park is back in this depressing decline, and it is sad to see the place turning back into what it once was. I'm surprised that Tim, or Neal, or for that matter any other previous manager don't seem to keep the values Jay had for the park.

I totally agree. I'm a big Jay Thomas fan. My opinion on Bonnie is -- very unimpressive, not a people person.

On a slightly unrelated note, any ideas on the crowds for Mother's Day (Sunday May 13th)? I'm planning on hitting either SFMM or USH on Sunday and the other park on Monday May 14th. Based on previous experience, will the park be deserted on Mother's Day, or would it be better to go on Monday?

I believe it's usually pretty dead on Mothers Day, but they've tried to combat that with bring a friend free coupons good on that day. I'd still go for it if it works better in your schedule than Monday.

I believe it's usually pretty dead on Mothers Day, but they've tried to combat that with bring a friend free coupons good on that day. I'd still go for it if it works better in your schedule than Monday.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you!

^^ It's kind of hard to go off of 'sections', as opposed to which rides/attractions are the busiest.

The midways are quite large at SFMM, as opposed to Disneyland, so there aren't too many traffic jams.

Are you wondering which rides are the busiest?

^^^My road to success always leads me to the back of the park at opening.

I usually do things in this order: Goliath > Colossus > Scream > Batman > GL > Riddler's > Apocalypse > Goldrusher > Ninja and then hit X2 and Tatsu last.

Throw Rev and Viper in the mix anytime during the day as they rarely have a line longer than 5 minutes.

This method won't be ideal for everyone but works wonders for me and I'm usually done around 3 or 4.

Good points on both side of the "MM is slipping" debate. To me it sounds a lot more like a group of enthusiasts lost "their guy", and the "new lady" has taken no interest in embracing them. Smash cut to anecdotal reports of "overflowing trash cans" and "herpes-riddled bathrooms" and things are going backwards.

I wonder if any of these bullet-pointed list of negative things would be as brightly highlighted if Jay was still at the park? My guess is no. Most likely it would be pinned on budget restraints or "corporate" making them focus on other things.

On another note, I was thinking that it's interesting that many of the rides taken out of this park are not relocated -- obviously Deja Vu was, but before that I'm thinking of Psyclone, Free Fall, Flashback, Log Jammer, and Shockwave (though I guess it did pit stop in NJ before going to coaster heaven). Seems like a lot of other parks remove rides (to put in new ones) and load them up on trucks to ship to other parks. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking that Deja Vu actually living on in another park was fairly unique for MM.

Good points on both side of the "MM is slipping" debate. To me it sounds a lot more like a group of enthusiasts lost "their guy", and the "new lady" has taken no interest in embracing them. Smash cut to anecdotal reports of "overflowing trash cans" and "herpes-riddled bathrooms" and things are going backwards.

I wonder if any of these bullet-pointed list of negative things would be as brightly highlighted if Jay was still at the park? My guess is no. Most likely it would be pinned on budget restraints or "corporate" making them focus on other things.

I can tell you again, when Jay was there he was always walking the midways with his trash wand speaking to guests and picking up trash on the ground. He enjoyed being with his guests. The same is not true now. In fact 9 times out of 10 I would see him at the entrance gate before the park opened. He was so fanatical that he wouldn't let fallen leaves stay on the midway during the fall season. He had his people picking up what nature dropped. His departure was a great loss.