TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

There is this huge restaurant that is closed with fading paint. No one is really up there. It didn't feel safe letting the females go to the restroom up in that area. Something just feels very off up in that area on the way to Superman.

^I don't see haow the area is "depressing". It's landscaped pretty nicely and a tranquil part of the park. Where does the problem lay?

I agree Samurai Summit was looking pretty sad this past weekend. I think partly because the tower was closed, but mostly because all of the retail locations are closed for the off season. The area between Ninja and Superman did look really sad and abandoned. With that said, I used the bathroom up there and can't see any reason someone would be afraid.

When are the seasonal restaurants open then? I went at the end of Summer and just went and it wasn't open. That was my assumption on a vacant building.

I hope they reopen Deja Vu and realize that they just have too many trashcans all over the place.

It's hard for some of the older crowd and even the younger ones to get to the summit. Going up and down the funicular is all right, but that's only good for one side of the hill. If you are going up the Gold Rush side and it's a hot day be prepare to sweat your butt off.

Getting people up to that area, might solve some of the problems.

It might be worthwhile to put in a monorail that would loop the mountain and have a stop next to the restaurant.

Moving people around faster leaves more time for them to spend money on their trip.

Seriously, a dark family ride on Samurai Summit would liven things up a bit. Or maybe a Drop Ride positioned on the edge of the hill. Of course they would have to do wind testing before hand so the ride isn't closed half the time due to high winds.

^ Jay and Co. have already said about eleventy zillion times that Metro will not be rehabbed and put back into service because Six Flags can't justify the expense and market it as a new attraction.

Personally, I think something like that could be marketed as a way to get around the park and save energy---namely yours ("yours" being that of the guests'). Such a strategy worked 35 years ago when they built the old Dragon ride up the west (Ninja) side of the mountain. But I also know that the whole idea will fall on deaf ears.

As for getting up the mountain on the west side, a USH Starway-type escalator system would be a possibility, though certainly an expense. Of course, it would have to have some sort of elevator to accommodate disabled guests to comply with the ADA. Or instead of escalators, use Disney-style Speedramps.

Eric

I've walked up the hill 20 times a week and can safely say that it's something that you NEVER get used to--it never gets easier. LOL.

That being said, it's my personal gut feeling that the "transport ride", as coined by RCT, is primarily a thing of the past. There is little opporutnity to market such a conveyance. And taming the mountain is sure to be a costly expense, no matter what.

A "Orient Express" on the west-side is a luxury amidst a list of necessities the park should be taking care of. Plot and plan as you wish, I don't see it happening.

Long story short, if you don't like the hill, don't ride Superman.

-Jahan

I worked a show at the top of the summit during Fright Fest, and I agree that you never get used to that hill. However as a guest I'd always make sure to plan my day in such a way that I'm taking the stairs up the hill instead of taking the path near Gold Rusher.

I do agree however with what some other people have said, there will never be another "transport" ride put into the park. Also just a mention, when I worked up there I can recall several times (normally older people) that somebody would walk up and need to sit down because they didn't feel good. Twice I ended up calling for EMS because they said they thought they were having a heart attack. Basic point is, plan your day in such a way you don't have to hike up the hill!

Twice I ended up calling for EMS because they said they thought they were having a heart attack. Basic point is, plan your day in such a way you don't have to hike up the hill!

There's a fine line between a hill thats too long and steep for the average GP and a GP who's too lazy and out of shape for the average hill.

I was just there for the first time this past Saturday, and I didn't notice any terribly long and steep hill. Am I just that oblivious, was I detoured away from the hill on purpose, or are you guys just that out of shape?

I'm thinking you avoided going up said hill. Going down it can be "fun" when its raining.

On a side note, I was too was at the park on Saturday and I saw you guys. In fact, you guys were at pretty much every ride I was for first part of the day from X all the way back to Batman. Kinda strange coincidence, but hope you all had fun.

The hill is right next to Gold Rush. Where Spinout used to be next to an icee stand. Doesn't seem too bad to me, but I could see out of shape people having some issues with not making it that way.

I don't see why they need a monorail. You can just walk from one ride to the next so easily. And with lines so short, you can go on everything between 10am-6pm. I am looking forward to go back to the park ASAP. Next scheduled trip is Dec 23.

"The Dragon constantly broke down and it went so slow that some people actually got off the ride in the middle of it and walked up the hill." (rba13)

That is true. While I personally never stepped out of a Dragon car, I did see many others do that. That's why an escalator or Speedramp would be better.

Eric

^ Its "remote" location sort of made that rather easy...

Actually an escalator/ramp would be a prime place to put advertising and/or some form of entertainment. While ascending/descending it, you could watch LCD screens with ads/features.

The L.A. Metro did that in the long stretch between the Hollywood/Highland stop and the Universal City one. Anyone here who's ridden that knows what I'm talking about.

Eric

I agree that the hill can be a bit much on a hot summer day. Usually I forget to plan ahead and end up doing the hike, but the funicular or the stairs behind Tatsu are the easiest way to get up there for sure. Going down the hill next to Goldrusher is definitely preferable than going up it!

^ Its "remote" location sort of made that rather easy...

Actually an escalator/ramp would be a prime place to put advertising and/or some form of entertainment. While ascending/descending it, you could watch LCD screens with ads/features.

The L.A. Metro did that in the long stretch between the Hollywood/Highland stop and the Universal City one. Anyone here who's ridden that knows what I'm talking about.

Eric

I know what you are talking about. I find it really interesting when i saw it