TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So if you wanna ride kiddie rides, you should go to Disneyland and Knotts.

Six Flags Magic Mountain needs a real intense coaster this time.

This is the exact stereotype that management is trying to defy. It's been said countless times that they are going to fix the park up and make it a more family friendly destanation instead of the thrill haven it once was. You know what happened when Time Warner just built thrill rides? Six Flags went bankrupt and it had to be bought out. It just feels like so many people are saying that Magic Mountain needs a new thrilling coaster. Well, if you take a good look around, there are 12 extremely thrilling coasters. Magic Mountain already has the best lineup of coasters in Southern California, they don't need to take the route that Knott's is currently taking. I'm with management on this issue, they have enough thrill rides, they need to make SFMM a more all-around park.

---Brent

As much as I know the norm is that a 48'' ride is a "family" ride, I'd rather see a lower height restriction 48'' ride. I'd like to see Magic get another 42'' ride similar to Ninja. A real roller coaster, but with a lower height restriction.

I dont buy a ride like this being billed as a family coaster. Thunder Mountain and Gold Rusher are family coasters, Terminator would be the best thrill coaster at most parks.

I agree with Elissa about building a coaster with a 42" height limit. If I'm not mistaken, don't some Arrow mine trains have a 42" limit? Big Thunder at Disneyland is 40" and Revolution was 42" when it opened (upped to its current 48" when the OTSRs were installed).

A junior woodie would be a good choice. I haven't ridden any small wooden coasters, but don't some of them have 42" limits?

Eric

I can't always agree with the height requirement statement. Sure the norm may be 48'', but one has to remember that both X and Goliath have 48'' height requirements. Not that I am trying to make a case with just these two rides, you very often have exceptions. I think that what the park needs most is more family interactive rides. I think (meaning it's in my opinion) that one of the reasons Disney parks do so well is that they cater to a wide range of groups not just in rides, but also rider experience. Now I know most people just write it off by saying "You can't compare Disney to [insert lesser park franchise here], they're on two different levels. But I think that's the problem. Very few parks are willing to go the extra mile and theme a little bit more than say a Disney, Universal, or Busch park. Dark rides, a splash battle, a hands-on attraction of sorts, there are more effective alternative to lure and please families than just tamer coasters. Not that I'm complaining that we're getting a coaster next year with a likely one in '10, but I just want to see this park blossom to it's fullest potential, and surpass competitors in it's market.

How about a ride where you enter a round room. The room starts to spin and the force keeps you against the wall. You could even have the floor drop. Wouldn't that be neat? Call it Spin In or something like that.

How about a ride where you enter a round room. The room starts to spin and the force keeps you against the wall. You could even have the floor drop. Wouldn't that be neat? Call it Spin In or something like that.

I have been enjoying your comments the last couple pages. Thank you for adding a bit of sarcasm to the typical SFMM needs more extreme coasters thread.

As for my wishes for SFMM. Lots of flat rides, both modern and vintage if possible just to keep the variety there. After riding Survivor at CGA, a Disko Coaster would be a great addition.

As for coasters, while I think a Dive Coaster could be a good fit (especially if they can fit it onto the mountain somehow) I think I would prefer a custom Gerstlauer spinning coaster or toboggan coaster. (If they need to increase the capacity, make it a dual track racing/dueling coaster but keep the tracks similar enough to not have one be much better than the other.)

Seems like all my ideas have been done before, but this one seems like a winner.

How about a walk though maze with a Magical Japanese theme. You walk through a series of rooms that have clever video projections finally ending in a disco like room that is pitch dark and all of a sudden the lights come on and off making it seem like everyone is moving crazy freaking everyone out. Call it the Magic Buddha.

How about a folksy craft type area? A little theme area where you go back in time and you can make crafts, etc. Have leather crafts and blacksmith works, wooden crafts, handmade brooms and baskets, blown glass making, clay baking and other crafts.

Call it Fallican Crossroads.

Now, where to put it?

I really hope we see a total makeover of the Cyclone Bay area with the addition of "you-know-what". As most of us can agree that section of the park is a little dead and it would be nice to see that section get a breath of fresh air. Repaint some of the fading facades, maybe open up the Surfside Grill. I mean the possibilities are literally endless.