Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby coaster05 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Great start Chuck, it is weird to think that was almost 3 weeks ago.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes! I've been looking forward to a Chuck trip report from Europe. It's great so far.

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Great stuff so far Chuck and it's nice to see some members from the Yellow Hat Club present. As always, I love the captions for your pictures. Keep it up and I can't wait to see what you have to say about the parks because one's thing's for sure, you definitely tell it how it is in your trip reports.

Jimmy "Wished he could have joined you but maybe next year" Bo

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Chapter 1: A Peek at What's to Come--Jardin d'Acclimatation

My jet-lagged brain started catching up to Parisian time the next day (Sunday, June 22), thanks to a welcome first chance to sleep in a bit. Jardin d'Acclimatation, a nice family park in the heart of Paris, gave us a "sneak preview" of what was to come--and a nice, low-key start to the whole TPR Europe Tour experience.

Jardin offered, in miniature, much of what to come at later parks: an interesting mix of coasters (three kiddies, in this case), pretty grounds, playground implements of doom and destruction that you'd never see in the states, and even a mini-taste of "ropes course action." (All it lacked was a quirky dark ride.) I enjoyed the place, and it gave everyone a chance to get in a few "warm-up" credits and check out a few Paris landmarks.

The most interesting coaster there was "Alice's Butterflies," a kiddie spinning mouse, which had a surprising pop of air on one drop and plenty of spinning (at least if you had a car to yourself). There was a powered coaster with a "surprise" drop into a tunnel that delivered quite a sucker punch, too. I missed the little dragon coaster, thanks to a lost ticket. (Oops.)

So, let's stroll through Jardin d'Acclamatation, shall we?
Jardin 01.jpg
First, two touching moments while waiting for the bus. "Chris, your armpit smells just like warm cinnamon buns!"
Jardin 02.jpg
Aw-w-w-w-w . . . Kidtums is helping that nice old man up the steps.
Jardin 03.jpg
And here we are. You have to pay to get in, then pay as you ride.
Jardin 04.jpg
Jardin is quite inclusive and diverse in its offerings. Here we see Disney's Genie getting acquainted with Terrytoons' Mighty Mouse.
Jardin 05.jpg
Nope--no touchy copyright issues here, right?
Jardin 06.jpg
OK, break out your kill jars, mounting pins, and paraffin boards. It's time for Alice's Butterflies.
Jardin 06a.jpg
I'm really not seeing the whole "butterfly" thing here, and Alice is nowhere in sight.
Jardin 08.jpg
These cars look more like angry stew pots than butterflies.
Jardin 07.jpg
Perhaps butterflies in France have big bushy eyebrows and large, multicolored pastel butts.
Jardin 09.jpg
Look--it's Rowan Atkinson's evil twin!
Jardin 10.jpg
The two cavemen are saying, "Wacky Races--represent! Hanna-Barbera in the house!"
Jardin 11.jpg
This little powered coaster packs a surprising punch, but where's Dick Dastardly and Muttley? Can't have Wacky Races without them.
Jardin 12.jpg
Kristie has slipped into a zen state, Piers is bemused, Melanie is amused, Rich is asleep, Jeff is dead, and Larry isn't sure what to make of any of this.
Jardin 13.jpg
Little do these people know the sucker punch that awaits them.
Jardin 14.jpg
Jeff, would you and the RCT pinball machine like to be alone? More to come from Jardin d'Acclimatation.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Jeff don't smoke next to the baby!!!!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:21 pm

This park definately seems like one to visit when in the area. About how far from the central Paris area would you say it was?
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 pm

While Jeff goes "tilt" with the pinball machine, let's check out more of what this charming little park has to offer.
Jardin 15.jpg
There are little gardens tucked all over this park. Looks like hobbits should live here.
Jardin 15a.jpg
Pretty, but I wouldn't drink from this creek.
Jardin 16.jpg
There were plenty of animals, too, such as chickens (I guess the one on the right is "free range" and expensive), . . .
Jardin 17.jpg
. . . goats, . . .
Jardin 18.jpg
. . . turkeys, . . .
Jardin 19.jpg
. . . donkeys, and . . .
Jardin 20.jpg
. . . monkeys!
Jardin 21.jpg
See the monkeys climb? Climb, monkeys, climb!
Jardin 22.jpg
Here's the coaster I missed.
Jardin 24.jpg
Being as it killed Jeff, that's probably just as well.
Jardin 23.jpg
"Yum! Dragon like children--flame broiled!"
Jardin 25.jpg
"Hi kiddies! Come and play under the scary spider tree! If you're lucky, I'll paralyze you with my venom, spin a cocoon around you, and not eat you for weeks!"
Jardin 26.jpg
Hmm--I'll wager you won't be seeing this in any U.S. playgrounds.
Jardin 27.jpg
Nor this.
Jardin 28.jpg
Please God--tell me he thinks this is a large croquette he's licking and not, er, something else.
Jardin 29.jpg
"Hmm--this structure appears to be some sort of aviary."
"And it looks like a big bird house too, Skipper!"
"Shut up, Gilligan!"
Jardin 30.jpg
"OK, action! Do something interesting, Jeff!"
Jardin 31.jpg
We decided to amble down the street in search of food, and first found this. Definitely not food.
Jardin 32.jpg
Hmm--twin Bart Simpsons on different soccer, I mean football, teams?
Jardin 33.jpg
One last look at the Arc d'Triomphe. Next up--the park that shows us what tools the ancient Romans really were.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby funkybadger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Chuck, this is a great trip report! I'm looking forward to more, and I was with you when you took all these photos!!! The captions are great too!

It's funny to see the pics and think, "Oh yeah, I remember where that was," or "Hey, I took that picture!" I have to wonder why there aren't pictures of those delicious Parisian pastries? Oh wait, because we ate them so quickly!

More antics! More nonsense! More Team Larry! :) Keep up the great work Chuck!

Loodle loodle loo!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:01 pm

I remember a playground in my city used to have a similar tunnel system.

But it was removed along with any other kind of equipment that could possibly hurt a kid. Part of some province wide "playground saftey" blitz.

All they did though was flatten 3/4 of the playgrounds replacing them with nothing.

Hot Potato!

Postby sfne2005 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 pm

How refreshing to see "different people" and not the same ones over and over again :lolr:. Does Team Larry have a theme song?
Image[/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive