Into the Unknown

Coasters and Other Adventures--Mall of America
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: Into the Unknown

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:13 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I enjoyed your photos of the backstage stuff at Sight and Sound. Never actually seen a show there...because...well, it's definitely Branson.

Yeah, the backstage tour is the only thing I could recommend of the theatre. The productions themselves are more focused on style than substance. And by substance, I mean being able to tell a compelling story without being overly preachy. But yes, Branson.

Cave tour...check.
Cinnamon bread...check.

Silver Dollar City complete.

Silver Dollar City NOT complete:
-Not enough cinnamon bread
-Wanted to take the cave tour again with dad on day 2, but his back couldn't take it :cry:
-Skipped log flume *prepares to run from an angry coasterbill*
-Went the week before the pirate show started--really wanted to see that
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Mall of America

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am

There's never enough cinnamon bread or cave. :D The pirate show is really great. They spent enough on R&D that I would expect it to stick around for the next couple years at least. More excuses to come back!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 am

Journey 10: Mall of America AKA The OG Nickelodeon Universe (Ft. Sealife)

For all my love of what we Minnesotans call the "Mega-Mall," I've never actually posted a trip report on TPR from it though. Weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Since I'm in a quarantine zone; (Curse you, COVID!) thought I'd take the time to do so now.

So the week I went for this report was a really weird week for me. I was planning on visiting on Friday. I ended up going Thursday to take my mind off of things considering Wednesday was the funeral for my Grandfather.

Also, for as many times as I've visitied the mall, I'd never done Sealife. Lucky for me, there was a combo deal for Sealife with Nick U. Sweet.

20190801_140735.jpg
It's a Piranha! They live in the Amazon.

20190801_141413.jpg
Da-Dun.

20190801_141640.jpg
Daa-Dun.

20190801_141736.jpg
Turtle. Hopefully saving me from the Shark.

20190801_141809.jpg
Da-da-da-La!

20190801_141925.jpg
Is this Kevin Kiermaier?

20190801_142337.jpg
Whoa man, look at the colors on that Jellyfish, yo!

Overall, I'm glad I visited at least once. It had some neat exhibits and I like looking at sharks. I could do without hearing some kid (or their parent) singing baby shark every 5 seconds though. It's never something I'd do without some combo ticket.

But now it was time to go into the park itself. So I did the first ride I saw: the Shredder Chance Frisbee.
20190801_143541.jpg
Whee!

The queue was right next to the lift for the Fairly Odd Parents Gerstlauer spinner. I love how rides are stacked on top of rides in this park. Not Grona Lund level, but surprising for the USA.
20190801_144433.jpg
Twisty!

I'm a huge fan of the Avatar animated series (Shut up, M. Night fans) and I hoped that the series would get a better ride than an Intamin Half Pipe. It's a fun enough ride, but I wish it was something else.
20190801_153150.jpg
And the NJ one has lap bars only? Unfair.

For whatever reason, the park did not retheme the Sally Ghost Blasters to Danny Phantom (The Danny Phantom ride was the defunct Chance Falling Star where Shredder is now). Not everything works as well as it used to. It had a decently well-themed queue when it originally opened.
20190801_153905.jpg
When there's something strange, but it's copyright. Who ya gonna call?

Thanks to the park's "Hold my beer" attitude when it comes to placing rides on top of rides, there's a ropes course on top of Ghost Blasters and the queue for it is next to the lift for the Spongebob Eurofighter.
20190801_153939.jpg
Look at all that natural light! It can be blinding when going up the lift.

It's gotten a little rough over the years.
20190801_154050.jpg
Helix of Doom!

Even when I "double-fisted" the guns (operator's words, not mine), I can't seem to get a good score.
20190801_154459.jpg
I came, I saw, I kicked its ass!

In line for the Zierer coaster monorail, one can get some good shots of Spongebob's
20190801_155210(1).jpg
LOOP-DE-LOOP!

The Ripsaw Orange Streak only has one train. Can make for long-ish waits, but with a station built on top of the bumper cars, it provides a great platform for pictures.
20190801_160138.jpg
Monorail through the trees.

But the obvious star attraction at the mall is...
20190801_164411.jpg
The Backside of Water!!!!

Which is located in the queue for the second-best attraction: Paul Bunyan's Log Chute. Unfortunately it was having a number of technical difficulties on the day which resulted in the queue being cleared out a couple times. But I still love how absolutely campy it is. I'm glad the park keeps it up. And I especially love that the park dresses up the main Paul Bunyan animatronic during holiday seasons.

20190801_165501.jpg
Seen from Log Chute queue.

Apparently the mall was having some sort of butterfly-themed art display when I went.
20190801_173303.jpg
Oh sh!t, it's Mothra!

The Mall allows for many vantage points for photography.
20190801_192005.jpg

20190801_202353.jpg
Slow your roll, there!

20190801_202618.jpg
Plunging to Rock Bottom!

20190801_202722.jpg
LOOP-DE-LOOP!

I love the mall and the park. I try to go at least once a year (but not always for the park). There are times I like to go to the mall and just walk around. Might do a little shopping. But I will always make a point to ride the Log Chute. It must be protected at all costs!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:37 am

MoA is great. We've been twice, the first time being before the Nick Universe re-theme. That log flume is legit.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:46 am

Every time I see this thread it gets that song stuck in my head. I'm going to start a new world-travel trip report thread called "It's a Small World After all" to counteract it.

Anyway, great report. That place is incredible.
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:47 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 am

Great report!

Out of curiosity how big is the SeaLife? I thought the exhibits at the one at the West Edmonton Mall were good, but it was tiny.

As for Ghost Blasters, I agree this ride should have been themed to Danny Phantom. Where did the themed queue used to be for this ride?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:MoA is great. We've been twice, the first time being before the Nick Universe re-theme. That log flume is legit.

I grew up with it as Camp Snoopy. It's amazing how many people I know still call it Camp Snoopy. And also LOG CHUTE!!! :lover:

coasterbill wrote:Every time I see this thread it gets that song stuck in my head. I'm going to start a new world-travel trip report thread called "It's a Small World After all" to counteract it.

Anyway, great report. That place is incredible.

Imagine how I feel about the title. I'm half dreading my (potential) trip to WDW this year and meeting Elsa...
At least I titled this report before the Frozen II song was released. :p

And BTW: how incredible would you think the mall was if it didn't have the Log Chute and the Margaritaville?

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report!

Out of curiosity how big is the SeaLife? I thought the exhibits at the one at the West Edmonton Mall were good, but it was tiny.

As for Ghost Blasters, I agree this ride should have been themed to Danny Phantom. Where did the themed queue used to be for this ride?

In terms of square feet, the aquarium is nearly double the size of Nickelodeon Universe. With 1.2 million gallons of water. I don't go to aquariums that often so I don't know how to compare them unless I can google the sizes.

As for the Ghost Blasters queue, most of the themeing and much of the queue itself was removed to make room for Spongebob. The addition of Spongebob also meant the removal of a 4-D motion theater.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:39 pm

And from far left field....

You know, you should totally sue Disney, for "Song Title Infringement"...or something to that affect. ;)

"Into the unknooooooown...." ~ Elsa, Frozen 2.

p.s. That husband-wife team of The Lopez's you should be really going after. :smile:
Frozen II - Unknown.jpg
Elsa, looking for good lawyers.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am

I enjoy this park. I just wish we had more time at it. We crammed this park, the mall and valleyfair all into one day
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby CaptainUnknown » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:You know, you should totally sue Disney, for "Song Title Infringement"...or something to that affect. ;)

p.s. That husband-wife team of The Lopez's you should be really going after. :smile:

:lol:
For some reason, I think that Disney and the Lopez's have better lawyers than I do. :p

grsupercity wrote:I enjoy this park. I just wish we had more time at it. We crammed this park, the mall and valleyfair all into one day

Yeah, Valleyfair can be done in a half day, but amusement park-seeking tourists need at least a full day at the mall. Hell, I've been going to the mall all my life and recently, a single day hasn't felt enough to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!