Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby DougMJr » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am

^ 100% agreed! SFFT set the bar high enough that SFOT had no problem limboing underneath it! :lmao:

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Werner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:56 am

Great start to the TR! Can't wait for your thoughts on SF over Texas... :P

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby John_RN » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 am

Yay! Another TR from an awesome trip! Great to meet you and Andrew!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Yay, I love reliving the trip and hearing others perspectives. Great start Matt, looking forward to your review of SFOT.

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:42 pm

DougMJr wrote:^ 100% agreed! SFFT set the bar high enough that SFOT had no problem limboing underneath it! :lmao:

:nina:

Lone Star Nights looks pretty creepy when captured in still photos. Gotta love it.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby XII » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Nice Photo TR. I really enjoyed SFFT this summer, and though its a bummer that Iron Rattler was closed when you were there, it still seems like you guys had a blast on the TPR Texas/Midwest Trip (then again, you pretty much always have a blast on TPR Trips). Looking foreword to seeing more from this trip.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Change of Pace at SeaWorld San Antonio

Postby mattnz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 am

Thanks for your comments everyone!

The next stop on our trip was SeaWorld San Antonio, which provided a nice change of pace from Six Flags. Again, we had some great ERT lined up, including the three big coasters at the park. SeaWorld also put on a lovely lunch for us, bringing out some animals for us to interact with, and great prizes too.

Steel Eel was the surprise of the day, and - having ridden Mamba, Steel Force and Wild Thing - I'd rank it as my no. 1 Morgan coaster. (I'm not counting Phantom's Revenge which is half an Arrow and in another class entirely.) It's not too tall at 150 feet but really delivers in the air time department. The third hill was the biggest surprise - your butt is WAY out of the seat at that point - and even after the midcourse the air keeps coming. A very nice coaster, great at the front and good at the back if you don't mind some butt-slamming air time. I hear that some prefer it!

We didn't spend too much time watching shows but checked out the One Ocean Shamu killer whale show as we'd never seen one before. The trainers don't interact with the whales as much as they used to, apparently, but it was an impressive show nonetheless. They are majestic creatures, and it was quite entertaining watching onlookers in the 'soak zone' getting completely and utterly drenched! The one thing we found very strange was the salute to the military at the beginning. What has SeaWorld got to do with the military? Oh well, they did also salute 'our allies' so that includes New Zealand too, I guess!

SeaWorld San Antonio is a good aquatic park, particularly excelling in the animal department, but I felt they could do with a couple more signature rides. Even a well-themed flat ride or two. I was also expecting the park to be a little more 'lush', i.e. covered in trees, but I guess it's Texas, which is kind of arid, right? This was the point of the trip where it really started to get very, very hot...
IMG_0441 (Copy).JPG
One great thing about having two theme parks in one town is...multiple hotel nights. I'm feeling refreshed and ready to take on SeaWorld San Antonio!
IMG_0442 (Copy).JPG
TPR members can be very orderly sometimes.
IMG_0443 (Copy).JPG
Nothing like riding roller coasters first thing in the morning.
IMG_0453 (Copy).JPG
First coaster of the day was Journey to Atlantis.
IMG_0457 (Copy).JPG
While they tested the ride we tried to gauge how wet it was. After yesterday's very wet log flume, Andrew and I pulled out our trusty TPR ponchos...
IMG_0529 (Copy).JPG
The backwards bit was rather unsettling, but I believe this technically makes it a coaster...
IMG_4797 (Copy).JPG
Turns out, Journey to Atlantis wasn't too wet. Mostly got your upper half.
IMG_4744 (Copy).JPG
Next up was ERT on Steel Eel and Great White. I LOVE the look of that queue!
IMG_0475 (Copy).JPG
A full train of TPR peeps enjoying Steel Eel. I didn't realise we snapped Robb in action filming another fantastic POV!
IMG_0486 (Copy).JPG
The back and the front are where it's at.
IMG_4758 (Copy).JPG
Steel Eel sails over the midway.
IMG_4799 (Copy).JPG
The aforementioned third hill.
IMG_0488 (Copy).JPG
SeaWorld LOVES the military!
IMG_4748 (Copy).JPG
Another Batman clone, this time themed to a shark, which makes it extra special for TPR.
IMG_4750 (Copy).JPG
TPR members pick their row.
IMG_0517 (Copy).JPG
This wasn't as good as yesterday's Batman clone, but it's still one of the best coaster designs out there, packing the usual punch into it's short but sweet length.
IMG_4773 (Copy).JPG
The park has a rapids ride, which is a great idea in Texas!
IMG_4760 (Copy).JPG
SeaWorld put on a really nice lunch for us.
IMG_0496 (Copy).JPG
And gave out prizes!
IMG_0498 (Copy).JPG
Roxanne nabbed Shamu.
IMG_0494 (Copy).JPG
Doug preferred the bear.
IMG_0526 (Copy).JPG
They also brought out some animals. (What even is this thing?)
IMG_0501 (Copy).JPG
Some I stayed well away from!
IMG_0509 (Copy).JPG
After lunch we caught the Cool Vibrations ski show from across the lake.
IMG_0518 (Copy).JPG
I have no idea what is happening here.
IMG_0624 (Copy).JPG
I don't want to mislead people, the park DOES definitely have trees. This looked like a nice picnic area.
IMG_4796 (Copy).JPG
Some areas of the park were really gorgeous.
IMG_4753 (Copy).JPG
We wandered into the Sesame Street Bay of Play area to get the kiddie credit.
IMG_4752 (Copy).JPG
Lots of interactive water fountains to entertain the little ones.
IMG_4777 (Copy).JPG
Time for Shamu.
IMG_0556 (Copy).JPG
Killer whales away!
IMG_0555 (Copy).JPG
A beached whale...
IMG_0560 (Copy).JPG
I thoroughly enjoyed watching people screaming in the soak zone!
IMG_0585 (Copy).JPG
In all, a great show.
IMG_0634 (Copy).JPG
We also spent some time checking out the fishy exhibits, a nice break from the blazing sun.
IMG_0638 (Copy).JPG
They had a diver taking photos with people through a port hole.
IMG_0642 (Copy).JPG
And I'll end this TR with a photo of a shark. Thanks for a very enjoyable day, Sea World San Antonio!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Ian_D » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 am

Awesome trip report so far! Can't wait to see the rest! :cool:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment has always done a lot to cater to military families. Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has special offers for them.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby John_RN » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:33 pm

cfc wrote:SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment has always done a lot to cater to military families. Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has special offers for them.

Yeah I was going to say, everytime I have been to Sea World in San Antonio they always have a salute to the military members in the audience. San Antonio has a big military presence with Lackland Airforce Base and Fort Sam Houston right in town.

Great report! So nice to see other people's pics from the trip so I can see things from different angles.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive