Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:37 am

^I wasn't expecting any earth-shattering announcements for 2014, but 2015 will probably be a different story. The new show hasn't exactly been a "big secret."

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Ripper Row.jpg

The park sent us a little more Howl-o-Scream info today.

BUSCH GARDENS® PRESENTS A TERROR-TORY™ TERROR-STORY: RIPPER ROW®

WILLIAMSBURG (September 9, 2013) – Ripper Row® is one of four unnerving Terror-tories™ awaiting guests when Howl-O-Scream® opens Friday the 13th of September. This immersive area will greet guests when they enter Howl-O-Scream through what was once a quaint English village, but now resembles another time and place. Loosely based on the terrifying reign of the Whitechapel Murderer, Ripper Row envelops guests into a cinematic experience infused with new horrifying plot twists and turns. As the main attraction in Ripper Row, beware or become the Ripper’s next victim during this autumn of terror.

Ripper Row: The Story

Tendrils of fog curl lazily around those who walk the dark streets and cling to tattered bits of black parasols, forlorn reminders that the denizens of this forsaken place are in mourning. The wailing keens of those who’ve lost someone dear punctuate the air of a city shrouded in darkness and despair. Shadows lurk everywhere. Everyone is a stranger and no one can be trusted. The yellowed newspapers plastered on sides of buildings shout the dire news in bold headlines: patrons of the Ten Bells Pub are disappearing. Whispers permeate every shadow-filled corner and foreboding alleyway, rumors of a dark figure stalking the streets plucking unsuspecting souls who fall victim to his nefarious whims.

Bobbies rush in and out of Scotland Yard, their brows furrowed with anxiety and their eyes averted from the citizens they are helpless to protect. Their efforts to warn away potential victims has all been in vain as more and more people seem to flood the streets each day. The locals are starting to call it the Autumn of Terror and no one knows when the horrors will stop and England will be safe once more. How do you save people from a villain with no known identity? For weeks he has been taunting the police by mailing them grisly notes detailing his murderous crimes, all signed with the same shudder-inducing name: Jack the Ripper. One thing is clear, this is his city now and the suffering is far from over for those who visit Ripper Row…

The horrors of Ripper Row and three equally-frightening experiences await those brave enough to become the main characters in Howl-O-Scream’s thematic Terror-tories where spirits and fiends walk amongst the living. France, Italy, Germany and England will be transformed into an over-the-top experience that transports guests to another time and place full of startles and frights.

There’s plenty to see and explore during Busch Gardens’ Howl-O-Scream. The mad doctor returns in Fiends at Ireland’s Abbey Stone Theatre®, along with Dig It Up! in Il Teatro di San Marco and the coolest night club this side of the afterlife, Night Beats™, in Das Festhaus®. Cut Throat Cove™ joins the line-up of haunted houses that offer frightening surprises at every turn. Busch Gardens’ selection of spooky shops offers up a scary array of gifts to help guests relive the thrills of Howl-O-Scream long after the terror-filled adventure has ended, including new store Captain Barghbie’s Booty™.Visit the Open CASKet™ bar, Demon Drinks Inoculation Station or Pirate Baarrrgh™ for drinks that will makes guests’ blood run cold.

The frightening fun begins this Friday. During the day, Busch Gardens is full of fall fun for families, but at the stroke of 6 p.m. the park becomes a seriously scary place. Guests are advised to consider the park’s elevated scare factor when deciding to visit Busch Gardens with young children during the event.

Purchase a Fall Fun Card and enjoy unlimited admission to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, including Howl-O-Scream, for the price of a one-day admission. Howl-O-Scream offers scares and thrills weekends through October 27. For tickets and more information including shopping, visit http://www.howloscream.com/va.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:35 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 pm

I am personally excited for the new show in England. Being a big fan of British Invasion music, I am sure that I will love it.

Kings Island did one last year when we were there on Labor Day that was quite good...I expect that BGW will blow that one away!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby 2012jarrett » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Philrad71 wrote:I am personally excited for the new show in England. Being a big fan of British Invasion music, I am sure that I will love it.

Kings Island did one last year when we were there on Labor Day that was quite good...I expect that BGW will blow that one away!

I went to Kings Island on Labor Day weekend last year and saw British Invasion too, and this reminded me of that show. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like the shows at theme parks. If we go next year I can't wait to see it!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/18ec287bb60672cae6c938cd59dddba3.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 am

Howl-o-Scream Opening Night Media Event

Yesterday was Friday the 13th; therefore, 6:13 pm was the perfect time to kickoff Howl-o-Scream 2013 at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. The park held a short reception over at the picnic area for theme-park Web sites and bloggers to talk about what's new for this year's event.

Scott Gasparich, vice president of entertainment, talked about how, over 15 years, HOS has gone from one maze, one attraction (the Transylvania Express train ride, if memory serves), and one show to becoming a true, "all-in" park event. This year, every aspect of the park, from entertainment to landscaping to food, is deeply involved in HOS. Here are the new offerings for this year:

Cut Throat Cove--This ghostly pirate maze has replaced last year's Fear Fair, and I think it's an improvement (evil clowns have sort of run their course). Wend your way through a port and aboard a ship that have been taken over by mutinous pirates.

Terror-tories--Guests will a accosted by Scotland Yard inspectors, ladies of "dubious virtue" (some of whom are headless), and maybe even Jack the Ripper as they enter the park via Ripper Row in England. Pirates have taken over Italy and turned it into Ports of Skull. Besides the new maze, other features of this Terror-tory include "Torture Hill" (get your photo taken walking the plank or being clapped in irons) and "Pirate Baarrgh" (get yer grog here, mates). You know, even bloodsucking fiends from Hell need a vacation now and then, and Vampire Point in Germany is just the resort they're looking for--relaxing and full of victims. Paris is burning and the fiends are partying over on Demon Street--but watch out for chainsaw-wielding monsters while you're checking out the Demonic DJ and his vixens in France.

Themed Dining--HOS is featuring "character-dining" options this year. Dine where the vampires feast at the "Blood Banquet" in the "Vampire Point Hotel," and you might get to meet the owner, Count Vladtastic, among other friendly denizens of the undead. Your hosts at the "Fright Feast" at Castle O'Sullivan in Ireland is a mad scientist and his demented creations, and share a mess hall with pirates at the "Buccaneer Galley" in Festa Italia. You can also score some adult beverages at the "Open Casket," "Pirate Baarrg," "Demon Drinks," and "Inoculation Station" (complete with Naughty Nurses).

Last year's shows, that is, "Fiends" (Ireland), "Night Beats" (Festhaus), and "Dig It Up" (Italy) are back, as are these mazes: 13: Your Number's Up (Ireland), Catacombs (France), Deadline (Italy), Bitten (Germany), and Root of All Evil (Germany).

You can also purchase a $72 Fun Card, which will get you into HOS all season (it's already part of an annual pass). Howl-o-Scream runs on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through October 27.

One other point: Howl-o-Scream is not meant for young children. The park gets scarier and a bit more risque after 6:00 pm. You have been warned.

Shall we go in? Don't be afraid. I won't leave you behind--unless some monster kills me. Then you're on your own.
001 - Copy.jpg
We begin with the horrifying waterfall! In the picnic area!
002 - Copy.jpg
Terror has come to this stack of maps.
003 - Copy.jpg
Arr! These two scallywags be residents of Torture Hill over in Ports of Skull. They be "social directors," ye might say.
004 - Copy.jpg
What would an HOS media event be without a big snake?
005 - Copy.jpg
Scott Gasparich discusses the thinking behind the new Terror-Tories: "Everybody has to go along a pathway." In other words, there's no escaping Howl-o-Scream.
006 - Copy.jpg
Aye, even scurvy pyrates enjoy Coke products.
007 - Copy.jpg
Speaking of pirates and swag, the park gave us refillable HOS cups, "London Rocks" bags, vouchers for "Blood Banquet" and a free face painting, and a comp Quick Queue for Cut Throat Cove. (The last one came in very handy as the line for that maze got a bit long.)
008 - Copy.jpg
Meet me new mate. Now, off to the park with ye!
009 - Copy.jpg
Which way to go?
010 - Copy.jpg
The Dark Side of the Gardens shop is open for all your Halloween needs.
011.jpg
Nosferatu, old buddy! How the hell ya been?
012.jpg
Vampire Point had some nice, homey touches.
013.jpg
Be very careful of who you meet in Vampire Point. The life you save could be your own.
014.jpg
Fort New France was "spooked up" with spider webs and werewolves.
015.jpg
Backstage tours are available.
016.jpg
Is something burning?
017.jpg
This line for Catacombs only took about 20 minutes.
018.jpg
Here's the entrance to Catacombs. This is a maze I rather like, thanks to its unique atmosphere.
019.jpg
Either Paris is burning or this is a "designated smoking area."
020.jpg
Yo, Hellboy! What's happening?
021.jpg
Hmm--is there anything in the Bible about demons carrying chainsaws?
022.jpg
If you keep picking at that it'll never heal.
023.jpg
Aw, isn't that sweet. Satan is out walking his dragon. I hope he brought a plastic bag.
024.jpg
"And, lo, a Demonic DJ will stand atop a flaming skull." (That has to be an old Black Sabbath lyric.)
025.jpg
Keep an eye open for Vixens. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:25 am

Stand by for more Howl-o-Scream! Why not watch the "Vampire Point Hotel" floor show while you wait?

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

026.jpg
Meanwhile. back at Vampire Point, the party is just getting started.
027.jpg
Meet Lugosi, Count Vladtastic's butler.
028.jpg
A family of vampire tourists has just flown over from Newport News. I didn't realize that Tidewater Virginia had such a large undead population.
029.jpg
I doubt that TPR will be booking this hotel for any trips.
030.jpg
Looks like they found yet another use for the old "Enchanted Laboratory" gargoyles.
031.jpg
It's getting darker and spookier.
032.jpg
Beer and wine at Open Casket. Not sure if they have Bloody Marys.
033.jpg
Well, I guess I'll grab a bite to eat . . . holy crap!
034.jpg
BGW did a good job retheming the old ice-cream-and-gift shop into the Vampire Point Hotel.
035.jpg
Here's the menu. The tri tip and the red velvet cupcakes were quite nice.
036.jpg
Horrifying Luggage of Terror!
037.jpg
Things can get a little lively at the Vampire Point Hotel.
038.jpg
Lugosi pages people and announces guests during dinner. He particularly likes it if you're a vampire or a werewolf.
039.jpg
"So, you are dining alone? Excellent! Vee love stragglers!"
040.jpg
Get yer pirate loot in Italy at "Captain Barghbie's Booty."
041.jpg
Wenches serve grog here.
042.jpg
Welcome to Torture Hill.
043.jpg
"Jones, party of two, your cages are ready."
044.jpg
Whar be Cut Throat Cove?
045.jpg
Aye, thar it be.
046.jpg
Make yer mark and prepare to set sail!
047.jpg
Welcome to Ripper Row.
048.jpg
You don't say?
049.jpg
Good thing Scotland Yard is nearby.
050.jpg
Well, that was rather careless of the Ripper.
051.jpg
"No 'ead tonight, dearie."
052.jpg
And that's a peek at Howl-o-Scream 2013. Happy Halloween!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Great report, Chuck.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks for the TR, Chuck. Makes me more excited for next weekend as I'll have two days to enjoy Howl-O-Scream.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Love it! So happy to see these events opening up. This is my favorite time of the year.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Love it! So happy to see these events opening up. This is my favorite time of the year.

Same!

Looking forward to going to HHN and Knott's in a few weeks. Perhaps I will get up there to KI and vist before years end. It's to bad I won't be able to get over to Bush as it looks like their event is pretty awesome!

Nice TR Chuck. =)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!