Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Vendor Applications for the 2019 PNE now available! (o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (at the PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Well, now that Halloween has passed....

Truth. I have never been at any Haunt anywhere, in my entire life! Until Oct.24th. I got a "Scream Pass"
to one of Playland's annual (now) Fright Nights at the park. Several rides of course, are open, including our
beloved Coaster - but in the dark. Or lit up, like most of the flats, with a LOT of "fog" snaking through
the walkways of Playland.

It also had 6 (?) Haunt Houses. I forget their names. But - each house or walk-through had a minimum
of 1-1/2 hours' wait! And their newly inducted Fastpass system? (It cost $30 above the gen.entrance fee)
Well, either nobody wanted to pay that much, hadn't heard about it, or... but there was no one in any of the
Haunt Houses FastPass lines!

And stupidly, and from all that touring with TPR (duh), I would have thought that paying the upcharge would
easily decrease my wait times to these things. And - it would have, I found out! But I didn't get it, boo hoo.
So I didn't wait for any of the Haunts. And the Coaster? Didn't ride it as there were Really Scary HUGE
mobs in line for it. :sad:

And honestly, i was so jealous of all the big parks in the US who have SPACE to move people around, etc.
Our space was so tight and 'rectangular' it was really a mob scene to me, one of the better nights at
Playland during the PNE, I felt. And I didn't like that. Walking around, was like walking with a herd.

So instead, I just took pix of what I wanted to take pix of, lol! I will (maybe) do it again next year, but
with the Fast Pass, if they do it again. Unfortunately, now that a lot of the GP has seen the pro of
doing the Pass... but then who knows? People will still be cheap if they want to be.

Here's what I took. Enjoy.
Resize of IMG_3489.JPG
Hey Larry - the Coaster sign at night! So rare a shot, other than seeing it at the PNE, at night. And I don't, then.
Resize of IMG_3490.JPG
The load station - in a load of red light, LOL! And there's this HUGE figure juuuust to the right of the station, that rises (its crouched now) and does...stuff. But I have never seen it run, after waiting a good half-hour for it to do...something, anything. <sighs>
Resize of IMG_3492.JPG
So looking the other way - LIGHTSsss! Crazy Beach party is behind the Waveswinger, but it was barely lit up for the evening. I mean, couldn't you guys change a lightbulb for this event, please?
Resize of IMG_3493.JPG
One of the more "interesting" entrance queues of the Haunt walk-throughs. And that's all I took of them.
Resize of IMG_3494.JPG
Another view, down a walkway. There's a Haunt there somewhere, down there. I think.
Resize of IMG_3497.JPG
Artsy Fartsy view of our Skywheel. one of the two rides I got on. The other was Gladiator.
Resize of IMG_3500.JPG
Across from our Skywheel - our Pirate ride! Arrrr.... And the Way-More-Elaborately-Lit MUSIC EXPRESS behind it. (my eyes my eyesss!)
Resize of IMG_3501.JPG
Our Revolution in full tilt boogie that night. And it was still an upcharge. And a few dollars more, even. (yay) And note our 'famous' corkscrew, behind Rev? Missed lighting op there. I guess they thought "the experience" would be just as "cool" as Coaster would be. In the dark. They were wrong IMhO. Could have used more lighting and effects. But they didn't. <sad>
Resize of IMG_3502.JPG
Another A-F shot, while still in Skywheel queue. And just getting on this, took as long as it usually does off-season for Coaster! What a world, what a world...
Resize of IMG_3506.JPG
No mountains to see, and the "overhead shots" of Playland, didn't impress me. But I liked this shot.
Happy November Everybody! (o:
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 pm.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks for the pictures, Bill. It's always fun to see these old-time amusement parks when they're lit up--especially for Halloween.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:32 pm

^ Thanks. I just wish it wasn't so mobbed in such a small space.
But now that I've finally done it once...

Three things I learned (a/k/a TPR's Typical Essentials to Parks):

1- Arrive early - arrive early - Arrive Early!

2- Buy the the pass online and if available, Get The FASTPASS.

3 - Eat something disgustingly sweet. :wink: Use the Sugar Rush!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby BCTom » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:18 pm

I went to Fright Nights a few years ago and it was terrible. Horribly long lines and very disorganized. This was before they even started selling tickets assigned to specific nights.

Hearing that they have introduced a front of the line pass might make going again worthwhile.

Having used front of the line passes at USH and Knott's Halloween events, there is no way I'd do such an event without them.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 am

^I bought an Unlimited Quick Queue during the last night of Howl-o-Scream at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and was glad I did. It was nice not having to worry abouit lines for mazes while grabbing night rides on all the coasters with very little wait.

Sounds like it's the only way to go at Playland (assuming their Halloween stuff is any good).
Last edited by cfc on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm

^ That'll have to wait till next year. :wink:

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 am

It's being reported at IAAPA that the PNE will be replacing their HUSS Frisbee with a KMG XXL to debut on Easter of 2015.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

^ Kind of a long, long time away for this to open,
but still welcome as something new for the park.
Thanks for the update, Joey. :smile:

EDIT to add: Learning this, I am a bit surprised
that they are taking so long to take out the
frisbee and install the XXL. From the site, it
appears that with just 4 workers, this thing can
be assembled in less than a couple of days.

So... a year and half for this to open?
xxl1.jpg
From the KMG site. An XXL.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 am

Kmg is booked solid building rides for the next 2 years....2015 delivery is probably the earliest they could deliver the ride.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

^ Hmm. Didn't consider that. Then they probably won't announce this
until (probably) the end of next season. Ah well. In time....

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!