Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Haymaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm

That was my thoughts too but ive only ridden in the front seats.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 am

Is anyone here a season pass holder? I've seen mentioned elsewhere the park announced a SBF spinning coaster and a mat racer slide for 2020 in the renewal email.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 am

I haven't heard anything about the SBF spinning coaster, but I did find an article mentioning that Waldameer bought one in 2018 (I'm not going to post the link, you can search for it if you would like however). The park does have some signs up for the mat racer slide ads up in the park and it's been mentioned on the local news. I know they're replacing the speed and freefall slides, I don't know if they are replacing any of the other slides on that tower though to install the new mat racers.

The mat racers are going to be a great addition as the freefall and speed slides never get a line and if they do get an SBF spinning coaster it would be a good transition coaster for young kids who can't ride Steel Dragon yet.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

Sounds kinda weird but an SBF spinner and new mat racers will probably get me out to the park next year if this is a thing. I've been trying to find time to take my nephews here and a new coaster, albeit a small family coaster may motivate me a little more. lol I actually really enjoy those SBF coasters. I wonder if it'll be the slightly bigger model?

Does Waldameer typically do a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on one day tickets?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 am

Assuming the coaster would be about 2,000 sq. ft, it could possibly end up behind the Wacky Shack and Spider, here:
Waldy.png
Waldameer is such a great park, so I would hate for them to get rid of anything.

Also, I would say not to think of this as a new roller coaster as much as a new spinning ride. It's just an economical choice for a park crunched for space like Waldameer. I'd say that there's not too much of a difference from this if the park added a new family flat that was mainly a spinner, for example.

Assuming this new ride is true, this and Chaos are two semi-large additions in the ride park during back-to-back years, which is certainly not the norm for Waldamer.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Postby pryonisys » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am

I find it hard to imagine anything put back there, but I'll be honest I also found it very hard to imagine where Chaos was installed and now it seems normal. A big issue Waldameer has is a lot of the land north of Rainbow Gardens and the Wacky Shack is very steeply sloped down toward the lake, and would continue blocking off the Northern part of the property from the park.

All that being said It's entirely possible they could manage to do it if they really wanted to. I'm always terrible at determining where any new ride will end up.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Yes, we are installing a SBF spinning coaster. The location will be made known after Labor Day, and it is not behind Spider. We will not be removing any rides to accommodate it, but we will be doing some re-configuring of an area.

Postby pryonisys » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 pm

ajfelice wrote:Yes, we are installing a SBF spinning coaster. The location will be made known after Labor Day, and it is not behind Spider. We will not be removing any rides to accommodate it, but we will be doing some re-configuring of an area.

:nina:
I always enjoy seeing how creatively the space at Waldameer is used, I'm glad to hear it won't be behind Spider and nothing is being removed for it.
Something for the dry side and for the water park. All good news!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _s3_ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 am

Great to hear AJ. I'm guessing this will be a reconfiguration to include some of the space left over from the removal of the old kiddy pools.

Also, AJ, something I've been curious about this since the parking lot expansion... Does Waldameer have any plan for the old Inn at Presque Isle sign that was left over at the intersection of Peninsula and 6th? It was painted during the expansion, but I've been surprised that there was no signage placed on it (even if temporary).

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

ajfelice wrote:Yes, we are installing a SBF spinning coaster. The location will be made known after Labor Day, and it is not behind Spider. We will not be removing any rides to accommodate it, but we will be doing some re-configuring of an area.

Thanks for setting me straight!
_s3_ wrote:Great to hear AJ. I'm guessing this will be a reconfiguration to include some of the space left over from the removal of the old kiddy pools.

That's a really good idea. Is it possible that it could cross over the Lazy River there?
There is only one true Blue Streak!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!