TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

We went to Canobie on Sunday for the first time ever and had a great time.

The park was very crowded which is great to see at a regional, non-corporate park. All of the flats had at least a 10-15 minute wait and Corkscrew and Yankee Cannonball had 30 minute waits all day (Untamed was pumping out cars so even though the line was long it was only about 20 minutes). I really wanted to ride Equinox but it opened in the morning and then was closed the rest of the day after it got stuck in the air with riders for 5-10 minutes so we never got the chance.

Untamed and Yankee Cannonball were a lot of fun and very re-rideable. I also loved the the Mine of Lost Souls and the Flume (which apparently uses a real saw mill for it's station), the Psychodrome (which had a great program) and just the general atmosphere of the park. You can tell that they put a lot of love into the place, and everything is well themed and maintained. We spent about 9-10 hours at the park and would love to visit again in a few years. I think the 4-6 hours suggestion in the TPR park index is a bit misleading unless the crowds were larger than normal due to the mild weather. This is an all day park.

I think the 4-6 hours suggestion in the TPR park index is a bit misleading unless the crowds were larger than normal due to the mild weather. This is an all day park.

Fair comment. The timeframe TPR puts out is merely a suggestion based on moderate crowds at each park. We know any day at a park can bring different crowds. Also, there is not one homogenous park guest or family, every group visiting a park will have different preferences. When traveling alone parks can be done quicker than with a family in tow. Some guests don't like spinning rides, some don't ride water rides, some only ride coasters, some guests want to ride everything.

In the end, any park can be a full day park, especially when crowded. The TPR suggestion is merely that, a suggestion. If the park is crowded you'll need more time. If you have kids, you'll need more time. If you want to ride everything or marathon a certain coaster you'll need more time. If you visit on a moderate day, want to ride all coasters and sample the best of the rest of the park, the suggested time is appropriate.

Also, the new log flume lift hill seems faster--anyone else notice?

I didn't notice that the flume's hill seemed faster when I was there earlier this year. Although I wasn't really looking for it. I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I'm there.

We went to Canobie on Sunday for the first time ever and had a great time.

The park was very crowded which is great to see at a regional, non-corporate park. All of the flats had at least a 10-15 minute wait and Corkscrew and Yankee Cannonball had 30 minute waits all day (Untamed was pumping out cars so even though the line was long it was only about 20 minutes). I really wanted to ride Equinox but it opened in the morning and then was closed the rest of the day after it got stuck in the air with riders for 5-10 minutes so we never got the chance.

Untamed and Yankee Cannonball were a lot of fun and very re-rideable. I also loved the the Mine of Lost Souls and the Flume (which apparently uses a real saw mill for it's station), the Psychodrome (which had a great program) and just the general atmosphere of the park. You can tell that they put a lot of love into the place, and everything is well themed and maintained. We spent about 9-10 hours at the park and would love to visit again in a few years. I think the 4-6 hours suggestion in the TPR park index is a bit misleading unless the crowds were larger than normal due to the mild weather. This is an all day park.

Those are the typical crowds for Canobie during the summer months. It doesn't matter if it's a weekend or a weekday. The park does very well for itself. I've also found that Untamed has one of the best crews in the park. Not only are they very efficient, but they usually have a good sense of humor and really get everyone pumped up for the ride as well.

Went to Canobie on Saturday, here's a quick TR:

Went at 5pm (to get the discounted tix), park was PACKED -- even the lines for food/kiosks were long. That being said, we still got on the rides we wanted, and still had time to eat. As it normally does, the park stayed open an extra hour since it was still full at 10pm.

* Yankee Cannonball in the backseat is insane. I feel like it gets more insane each time I ride it. Almost to the point where putting your hands up is scary because at almost no point are you actually seated (aside from the lift, of course). I got so much air my seat-belt loosened by half by the end of the ride. Still one of my favorite woodies.

* You are now almost guaranteed to get wet on the log ride, whereas before this ride barely got water on you (or if it did, you weren't soaked). The new lift does seem a little faster to me--not sure if that has anything to do with some of the increased wetness or not. It was 4 of us in the log, 3 not-too-big adults, and a small child--we were soaked by the end. They also added a water spray jet to the exit of the cave (the cave that brings you by the fences), so be warned, that you WILL get wet now.

* Equinox was down for a bit when we arrived, but opened up and ran right through closing. I had never been on a flat like this before. I was laughing the whole time because the ride is so ridiculous! My favorite part was coming face-to-face with the arm of the ride, especially at night, since the lights are right in your face, and you feel like you're going to crash. I don't get motion-sick, but I thought for sure this ride might do me in... I was wrong. I felt fine after, except for having the biggest head-rush of my life (in the best way!). Some of the forces felt similar to a top-spin, but this was wayyy more intense. Good addition for Canobie (when the ride is up, that is). The crew running the ride also had load/unload down to a science, so the line kept moving.

* The Corkscrew LOOKS great with its new paint job, however, it is still a very unpleasant ride. I watched it run a few times, and thought it didn't look like there was the normal amount of headbanging happening, so we went on. Holy hell were we wrong. The turn into the first corkscrew was the worst. I've been on a good amount of coasters (and a fair amount of old Arrows), but this thing is still such a bummer. I'll always have a soft-spot for it since it was one of my first looping coasters way back in the day, but it's definitely an "OK-to-skip" ride for me now.

We also got on Untamed, Star Blaster (the fun little launch tower), and the Zamperla "bouncy" ride (which is one of my favorite flats in the park now). Seriously, the bouncy ride is awesome. If you don't smile on the bouncy ride, you have no soul

Canobie is still one of my favorite parks (and will probably always be one of my favorites). Even with the park crammed with people, they keep it looking nice, there's no trash/litter, and the ride ops are friendly and efficient all day. Even only having the evening at the crowded park, we still got on the stuff we wanted to, and that's really due in part to how well they run the rides, especially since a lot of the rides are flats (with a good amount not being very high-capacity), and the coasters (aside from Untamed) run only a single train.

When I was at Canobie this past week queuing for the Equinox, it broke down (which didn't surprise me one bit). But during the breakdown, the woman working the attraction started talking to a bunch of us in line and mentioned that Canobie would be expanding their water area next year. She didn't go into any more detail, but I would definitely be in favor of that since their Castaway Island water play area is always packed and adding more slides will really round out the water section. I feel like they could expand it much like Quassy did with their water park going from the Saturation Station to what they have now.

When I was at Canobie this past week queuing for the Equinox, it broke down (which didn't surprise me one bit). But during the breakdown, the woman working the attraction started talking to a bunch of us in line and mentioned that Canobie would be expanding their water area next year. She didn't go into any more detail, but I would definitely be in favor of that since their Castaway Island water play area is always packed and adding more slides will really round out the water section. I feel like they could expand it much like Quassy did with their water park going from the Saturation Station to what they have now.

Isn't that what all the ground clearing is for on the left hand side as you enter the parking lot? That is a decent chunk of land.

I have been going to Canobie since I was a baby and I have never seen it as crowded as it was yesterday. The line for every ride went beyond its cue. You had to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour for everything including all flats. Things like the Blue Heron and the Canobie Express were no exceptions. The Blue Heron's line was always 2-3 boatloads deep. The line for the Corkscrew went past the train tracks. Even rides that are usually just a walk on had 20 minute waits. Actually nothing was a walk on. The parks popularity has suddenly skyrocketed.

On a different note the best deal in the park is still the rib dinner at the Dancing Bear Canteen. You get a full rack plus fries and coleslaw for $19.95. It has enough food for 2 people to share.

Isn't that what all the ground clearing is for on the left hand side as you enter the parking lot? That is a decent chunk of land.

They are redoing the parking lot to create 350 extra spaces, which are definitely needed. The park has been extra busy lately and guests have been parking in an unpaved field or even in the employee lot. The parking lot got slightly bigger as well, which is the reason for the big clearing.

The water park expansion would probably be either to the right or the left of Castaway Island since they have a decent chunk of land there that could fit a few slides.

I have been going to Canobie since I was a baby and I have never seen it as crowded as it was yesterday. The line for every ride went beyond its cue. You had to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour for everything including all flats. Things like the Blue Heron and the Canobie Express were no exceptions. The Blue Heron's line was always 2-3 boatloads deep. The line for the Corkscrew went past the train tracks. Even rides that are usually just a walk on had 20 minute waits. Actually nothing was a walk on. The parks popularity has suddenly skyrocketed.

On a different note the best deal in the park is still the rib dinner at the Dancing Bear Canteen. You get a full rack plus fries and coleslaw for $19.95. It has enough food for 2 people to share.

I'm glad they're doing well. Thankfully the operators work hard to keep the lines moving. Hopefully the water park expansion helps a bit with the crowd flow.

I've never been to the Dancing Bear Canteen. I usually eat at the Portofino, but maybe I'll give them a try next time.

They are redoing the parking lot to create 350 extra spaces, which are definitely needed. The park has been extra busy lately and guests have been parking in an unpaved field or even in the employee lot. The parking lot got slightly bigger as well, which is the reason for the big clearing.

The water park expansion would probably be either to the right or the left of Castaway Island since they have a decent chunk of land there that could fit a few slides.

OK thanks, I noticed to overflow parking in the field when I was there yesterday and had not read about the ground clearing.

Looks like I'll be heading to Canobie for Labor Day weekend, taking a bunch of friends who've never been there before. I'm not looking forward to the crowds that weekend, but it's the only time we'll be able to get there. My question is, what does everyone think would be the less crowded day? Usually Sundays are pretty good, but since people have Monday off too, I don't know if that's going to be the case. Anyone know how crowded it will be on Labor Day itself? Not sure if it'll be bad because it's a holiday, or better because people have to work the next day...thoughts? Want to make sure this is as good a day as possible for the people I'm bringing.

^ Pretty much any of those days will be crowded. My gut instinct is that Monday would be the preferred day to go, because most people have work and school the next day, so even if the morning/early afternoon is crowded, by nightfall it should empty out a bit. The only problem is, the Labor Day hours are 11-8. Sat & Sun are 11-10, so you get 2 extra hours... but, I guess if Monday is less crowded the 2 extra hours wouldn't be as needed anyway.

Also, I can probably guarantee that with the park being busy on Saturday (and maybe Sunday), they will keep the park open until 11pm.

I've been to Canobie on holidays, and it's packed (obviously), but doable. However, as myself and a few recent posters have mentioned, Canobie's crowds have been fairly larger than normal recently, so it's hard to predict what it will be like.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Really? No one?

[attachment=0]uploadfromtaptalk1399086275276.jpg[/attachment]

I remember that day, Unseasonably warm weather and more pre season advertising. This level of crowds is a bit rare for opening weekend. Opening saw very light crowds this year but special on the next few weekends will lead to big crowds. Th one thing we can't deny is that the park is doing well.

As for that field in the photo I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. the petting zoo was relocate behind untamed and the corn maze scraped.

• 1 month later...

Just when you thought you have seen it all something like this happens.

Canobie Lake Park Altercation Ends With Family Of 5 Arrested

SALEM, NH (CBS) – Screams of delight came from the Canobie Lake Park roller coaster on Tuesday, a sharp contrast to the shouts of profanity from just outside the entry turnstiles a day earlier.

“This family was hell bent on creating a disturbance,” says Deputy Chief Shawn Patten of the Salem, New Hampshire Police. “And they did just that.”

He’s talking about the Perry family – father Alan; sons Joshua, Brian, and Damian; and daughter-in-law Ashley — whose trek from northern Vermont to the Canobie Lake ended abruptly at the park’s security checkpoint on Monday afternoon.

According to police, at least a couple of the Perrys had hunting knives clipped to their belts when they showed up at the park entrance.

Citing park rules, security asked them to put the knives back in their vehicle. And when they were told such weapons were not allowed inside the park, they allegedly became belligerent.

“They were asked to put those items in their car if they wanted to come in,” says Canobie Lake’s Chris Nicoli. “They didn’t want to do it, and got unruly pretty quick.”

Police say Joshua Perry not only declined to stash the knife in his car, he launched into a curse-filled tirade in front of hundreds of parents and children.

And when two Salem cops working a detail at the amusement park moved in to arrest him, chaos ensued.

“They were jumping on officers’ backs,” says Deputy Chief Patten. “One officer was kicked in the head. They were punching and scratching. It was a melee.”

Patten says they even tried unsuccessfully to grab an officer’s gun from its holster before a swarm of backup officers arrived.

One officer suffered a separated shoulder, while a second suffered cuts and scrapes.

Joshua Perry was charged with riot, resisting arrest with serious injury, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

Allen Perry was charged with riot, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, second degree assault, and criminal trespass.

Brian Perry, 18, of Lyndonville, Vermont, was charged with riot, simple assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

Damian Perry, 18, of Lyndonville, and Ashley Perry, 20, of Sutton, were both charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespass.

Joshua, Brian and Allen Perry remain behind bars after a judge boosted their bail to $10,000 cash.

“No guests were in any danger,” says Nicoli. “This was a contained situation.”

But the bizarre incident did leave more than a few park-goers puzzled.

“Pretty crazy,” said one father entering the park with his wife and two young children. “I can’t believe it would happen at a family establishment like this with all these kids around.”

Police were equally baffled, indicating those arrested didn’t offer an explanation – or an apology.

“They turned what could have been a perfect day at a family park into a nightmare,” said Deputy Chief Patten shaking his head.

And to cap it off, police say, the mother in the group faked a seizure as officers hauled off her husband and sons.

She was examined and released at the scene.

Source

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/17/canobie-lake-park-altercation-ends-with-family-of-5-arrested/#.U6BZGTEzub4.twitter

I'm puzzled as to why they felt the need to strap knives to themselves while visiting an amusement park . . .

Wait a minute. No I'm not. They're just really, really dumb.