TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Snakes on a Plane

Homer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie is about exactly what the title says. A bunch of snakes on a plan, although how they got there is a mystery to me. As far as I'm concerned there will never be a better Samuel L Jackson movie than Pulp Fiction.

I can't believe how hyped up this movie was WAY before it was released and now that I see the cheesy commercials, I'm definately all set. The next movie I see will be Saw III.

The movie is about exactly what the title says. A bunch of snakes on a plan, although how they got there is a mystery to me. /quote]

That's what I'm saying! How did they get there? And do they even explain that in the movie.Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

The film only came in at #2 this weekend (estimated)

1 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby Sony $14,100,000

2 Snakes on a Plane NL $13,850,000

Kind of thought that with all the hype it would have done better. I wonder if the move to change it from a PG-13 to an R rating actually hurt it?

--Robb

Kind of thought that with all the hype it would have done better. I wonder if the move to change it from a PG-13 to an R rating actually hurt it?

--Robb "Snakes On a Plane" Alvey (I couldn't resist it, lol)

Changing it from PG-13 to R definately kept it from the top spot this weekend. What did they change about it-more gore, boobs, or both?

Heck, I still thought it was PG-13. Not that it makes a difference, should be kickass-I'm going tomorrow.

This movie to me looks like a blatant attempt at making a cult movie. The cheesy title, the way it was hyped months before the release, the fact that it's funny in a situation that wouldn't be funny if it were real...it reeks of cult classic to me! I wanna see it just for that reason!

-Julie

--Robb

I would say it would of done better if it was PG-13. I know A LOT of people who weren't 18 and wanted to see this movie.

--Robb

I think that may have had a little something to do with it, but it wasn't the main reason. I'm picturing this flick as doing 10 times better in DVD sales than it does in theatrical release. Like Julie said, the "cult classic" thing makes me wanna see it for a good laugh, but like many folks out there, I'm not willing to pull the trigger on a $30 outing to the movies to see this crap. I'll just wait until it hits the small screen over and over again *cough* TNT, TBS *cough*. I'm just glad to see the trilogy final complete....Anaconda, Lake Placid, and now Snakes.

Actually, the MPAA limit for use of the f-word in a PG-13 movie is two times. If you go over two, it's an R rated movie.

I'm sure there are other factors also, though.

That's actually not true at all. It depends on the use, the situation, the subject matter, etc. As someone who works in the entertainment industry with many films, the MPAA, and the ESRB it's a common misconception that the number of times a certain word is used in a film automatically equals as certain rating. This is in many times the case, but is NOT the "rule", for example....

From Wikipedia's very good explanation of the rating system:

If a film uses "one of the harsher sexually derived words" (such as f**k) 1-3 times, it is routine today for the film to receive a PG-13 rating, provided that the word is used as an expletive and not with a sexual meaning (this was mentioned in Be Cool, when Chili Palmer complains about the movie industry. Humorously, "f**k" is said only in that scene, giving the movie a PG-13). An example of a film that might suggest this criteria is Waiting for Guffman, which contains mostly PG-13 (some could even argue PG) content, yet is rated R because a man auditioning for a role uses "f**k" (the only time it is spoken in the movie), in a sexual sense. Exceptions may be allowed, "by a special vote of the ratings board" where the board feels such an exception would better reflect the sensibilities of American parents. A couple of exceptions were noted: rare films such as Guilty by Suspicion were allowed as many as 9 uses of the word; probably due to the precedent set in the 1970s by politically important films such as All the President's Men. It is a common misconception that if a movie uses "f**k," in a nonsexual context, more than once, it will automatically receive an R rating. In reality, PG-13 movies are routinely allowed two or three uses.

More can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_rating_system

From what I understand (read in an issue of Daily Variety a few months ago), Snakes went back and added more violence and gore for the R-Rating.

--Robb