TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

This is just a reminder for folks that the ride has unofficially officially opened.

I.E. (not EE): they expect the ride to be running now straight till official opening April 7.

All along the entry and exit they've installed new signs celebrating 'new magic' -- and featuring a cartoon of folks riding the EE cars.

Also, the ride is on 'the board' up front. Curiously, it was on the maps, now its gone?

Hmm.

J.

Curiously, it was on the maps, now its gone?

Hmm.

J.

My guess for this is that the maps w/o EE are old maps. I've noticed that when Disney puts out new maps they won't replace the old ones with the new ones, they'll keep the old ones out mixed in with the new ones. I remember being confused by this with Pooh Playground and SGE. (I even remember others being confused with Wonders of Life awhile ago)

Were the maps with EE on it still the old cover? I expect by the time EE officially opens the map will advertise EE as its cover.

I'm not sure -- I just remember seeing on a web board people posting pics of the mountain -- I'm about 80% sure it was an old cover.

Aaah, so they are 'mixed'. Hmm.

So 'Slacking' -- how many times have you ridden the attraction -- has your opinion of it changed?

I think I've ridden it nearly 30 times -- the only thing I wish is that they used Intamin . . . because I think it would have been a cool coaster if it were a lot smoother.

hmph -- oh well -- maybe they were going for that 'rough' feel -- or maybe I should step out of the back car into something more in the middle.

J.

I'm not sure -- I just remember seeing on a web board people posting pics of the mountain -- I'm about 80% sure it was an old cover.

Aaah, so they are 'mixed'. Hmm.

So 'Slacking' -- how many times have you ridden the attraction -- has your opinion of it changed?

I think I've ridden it nearly 30 times -- the only thing I wish is that they used Intamin . . . because I think it would have been a cool coaster if it were a lot smoother.

hmph -- oh well -- maybe they were going for that 'rough' feel -- or maybe I should step out of the back car into something more in the middle.

J.

I've actually have only ridden EE that one day of Employee previews, and I rode it 6 times that day.

I haven't ridden it again because my AP expired a month ago and I don't have the cash to renew so my opinion hasn't been able to change.

If I ever get a new AP (it'll happen eventually) or visit DAK for a day I'll definitely ride EE several more times so I'll see then if my opinion changes.

One good sign (no pun intended..really) that they will be keeping the ride open from now on is that they have started the ad campaign in central Florida via billboards.

DSC06511.JPG.b757a08c686f3914381e8f8e5c3229ac.JPG

I took this while driving down Fowler street today while in Tampa. Yes, pretty close to you know what.

One good sign (no pun intended..really) that they will be keeping the ride open from now on is that they have started the ad campaign in central Florida via billboards.

Erik, where on Fowler is that????

I work on Fowler and didn't see it, must be between my work and I-275 (You-know-where happens to be between those two, lol).

Ok, that explains it, I connect to Fowler by I-75, I don't have to hit 275 at all.

But, thinking about it, I do remember that there is one billboard in that general area driving west that always has something Disney, so I'm rpetty sur eI know where that one is now, thanks!

I'm reading a lot lately about the "bad show" on Expedition Everest. Mostly people are complaining about how you can see the mountain interior supports inside the backwards helix, how the whole back side of the mountain is unfinished and visible from the parking lots, how you can see the tire drives and switchtracks too easily, how if you turn around and look back while you're at the first reverse point you can see the flood lights and emergency walkways and stuff. That last video really shows some of these perceived flaws. How does everyone here that has ridden it feel about these things? Do they ruin the experience? Could some of these things have been hidden better?

I haven't ridden it yet...just watched the videos.

Edit: reading back a few pages I see that others here feel the same way. It seems like the Imagineers really could have hidden some of that stuff better. Maybe they will go back and fix some of it. I seem to recall reading that Matterhorn ran for a year or so without any of the interior caves...that it was all just hollow inside with exposed supports everywhere. Hmmm...

-Derek

-Mostly people are complaining about how you can see the mountain interior supports inside the backwards helix

And you cant see them in space mountain?

-how the whole back side of the mountain is unfinished and visible from the parking lots

Kinda like how you can see the warehouse building in back of splash mountain?

-how you can see the tire drives and switchtracks too easily

Like how you can see the tires on the Matterhorn?

-how if you turn around and look back while you're at the first reverse point you can see the flood lights and emergency walkways and stuff.

Like how when you look behind you on every other ride in existence you can see things your not meant to because your looking a a place your not meant to?

Sry if I sound like a dick... but yeah...

Yes darnit, we are nosy and finicky like that, aren't we?

I think because Big Thunder (all parks) doesn't have anything really showing in it's construct no matter which way the track is taking you.... well, it has been quite the while since we've had such an (ahem) 'immersive' attraction like E:E.... like, maybe since 1992 and DL's Indy Jones?

And I don't count the Tower of Terror, because for the most part, you know it involves an elevator experience, no question. Except for that "other part" of it (*that Twilight*Zone part, hmm*?).

And from my circa.1963 memory yes, the Matterhorn superstructure was all visible in and thru it. It was only enclosed in spots, when the Snowman was introduced in 1978.

~ ~ ~ ~

Oh, it'll never be perfect for everybody. You and I know that, right?

-Mostly people are complaining about how you can see the mountain interior supports inside the backwards helix

And you cant see them in space mountain?

-how the whole back side of the mountain is unfinished and visible from the parking lots

Kinda like how you can see the warehouse building in back of splash mountain?

-how you can see the tire drives and switchtracks too easily

Like how you can see the tires on the Matterhorn?

-how if you turn around and look back while you're at the first reverse point you can see the flood lights and emergency walkways and stuff.

Like how when you look behind you on every other ride in existence you can see things your not meant to because your looking a a place your not meant to?

Sry if I sound like a dick... but yeah...

1. Space Mountain is an old, lower budget ride that has much room for improvement itself. People naturally expected more from E:E. Is that not allowed?

2. Where have you seen Splash's warehouse? It certainly isn't visible from the parking lot, that's for sure. And I've never noticed it from the park, either. Unless you were referring to the DL version, then, I don't know.

3. Really old ride.

4. Every other ride in existence? Hardly. In fact, I'm having a hard time even thinking of another example. Most rides that don't want you to see something like that don't LET you. E:E does.

4. Every other ride in existence? Hardly. In fact, I'm having a hard time even thinking of another example. Most rides that don't want you to see something like that don't LET you. E:E does.

I think this is the main thing I was trying to tell you ^^^slushie. Disney more than likely took it from the viewpoint of peeps in the park itself, and how far they would be seeing the "mountain" from it, w/o showing the actual show building.

I don't think they expected that up to four seconds is it (?) being enough for "onride photos" by the riders themself! And after probably several times on E:E, peeps now knowing when the train would stop, started to fidget and (gasp) peek behind themself w/camera pointed. Right back at the framework and stairways, etc. "up there."

It's one of those new things that unfortuantely they didn't consider. New digi-cams for quik pix available and able to be taken on-ride etc. Who knew?

Regarding the questioned "bad show" elements--I'll not voice an opinion on this until I've ridden E:E myself, but I do want to interject one point regarding the landscaping and how some folks are complaining that it isn't "immersive" enough:

They use plants. Plants eventually grow.

My parents remember visiting Disneyland in the 1950s, and how you could see the then-burning settler's cabin on Tom Sawyer's Island from all over Frontierland.

Matterhorn opened in 1959, and didn't get it's interior "ice caves" until 1978, when in addition to the caves, the ride added a computer blocking system, and Harold the Yeti.

Big difference though, when Matterhorn was built, it was a breakthrough in technology for the time. The money was spent just to develop the attraction. Disney has grown exponentially as a company since then, but the accountants are holding tighter rein than the creative end (for the time being).

As for the stuff "behind" you being a bother - You aren't supposed to look there in the first place!

I don't think a lot of people are complaining about a lack of plant growth (or at least they shouldn't be) because once the plants grow out a bit, it shuld be pretty cool.

But being able to see the mountain structure when going backwards is inexcusable. Someone brought up the argument of being able to see Space Mt.'s structure/roof. Well, at least the Mt. itself is masked with the space effects. As for the coaster structure (if thats what you're referring to), the way Space Mt. is designed, well, there's really no way around that. With EE, the mountain structure painfully obvious. If they could find a way to make that darker, or shield it somehow it would be an improvement. As is, its a very jarring distraction and it took me away from the point of the ride everytime I saw that structure.

And about the back of Splash Mountain, I think the only time I have seen that is in pictures (I'm trying to remember if the railroad reveals it, but don't think so) which is a huge difference compared to being able to see it every time you enter the parking lot.

Wow -- bitching on a coaster site about a ride's apparent inadequacy -- say it ain't so!

I've ridden the attraction nearly 30 times and per 'bad show' you really have to look for that stuff -- and I'd hardly call it bad show.

Last night I was on BTMR -- those bats hanging from strings -- those are pretty bad...but we are talking a whole different monster. A coaster that goes as slow as BTMR won't have the height and the necessary superstructure to be hidden. EE is different. And thanks folks for bringing up the matterhorn example -- it took a while to hide everything. Even still the lift is still all open inside right (just dark).

Sure there is a backside problem you'll see from BB and the parking lot -- but a lot of folks at WDW get bussed in -- not too many park in the lot in my opinion -- just the locals -- and we don't have the AP percentage like Disneyland Ca.

From my memory you only see the inside of the mountain (through a foot wide crack near the track when you are up front in the first three rows or so. Remember, unlike BTMR you need a separate structural system because of the movement of the track (and BOY does it move).

If you are in the front row up on the first track switch I've never even bothered to look back because up ahead of you you have all of Disney World at your feet nearly 100 feet in the air.

I think people criticizing the ride is fine, but point out positives as well. The ride isn't perfect, nothing can be.

For example, the ride is great, but its too rough in my opinion.

Let's do a pros and cons thing. Show wise -- they've done some amazing things, but yes, the backside is like a warehouse (don't even bring up Indy how for years it wasn't even covered up like it is now).

J.

Someone was looking for a map: here's a rough one.

The trick on the track is such: essentially on two segments of the ride you have a track built on the underside. When the train goes over and is held in place beyond that segment -- the double sided track rotates and provides a different path.

Its been done before -- at the train yard at RNR and some other rides.

ExpeditionEverestLayout.jpg.5ca0faecc1db5bca05fc0fbc6a9b9a5b.jpg