TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I don't really mind the delay, however, I do kind of have a problem with how this ride is being done. I just wish that the trains were being done by someone that was closer to the situation, both location and knowledge wise. I see it kind of like this: building a house. Someone else lays the foundation, then another separate group comes in to do the structure, then someone else comes in to do the electrical work.... somewhere there is bound to be a glitch.

After seeing first hand how much longer of a delay it took them for a simple typical wooden coaster called "Twister" I am not the least bit surprised if it takes them much longer to bring back an old lost style coaster like Flying Turns. Honestly, when some of us were saying we look forward to riding this in 2009 or 2010 when it finally opens, how many were really joking about it? It's Knoebels, they won't open it just to open it, they'll make sure it's as good as can be before doing so, and the wait will be worth it. They won't be changing the trains halfway through, or adding another train or two, or retracking half the ride just to say they had "the first" or "the biggest" for one season.

Damn it. I was planning to go there in June to ride it but that's not going to happen. I might as well not go to Delgrosso's this year now becauce it dosn't look like they are going to set up the Revolution next year either. Later this summer..... that would be August right?

Honestly, I can't believe that people are doubting Knoebels at this point. I know that I said that I don't really like the way the plans for the construction are laid out, but it is Knoebels here. Just think of how many good moves they have made... how many good rides they have... and just the overall quality of everything there.

"$2.50 for a ride that's 25 seconds from the second lift to the main brakes" (Jim S.)

I'd pay that. How much is Manhattan Express these days? $10? $12? And that ride isn't longer than about two or three minutes, is it? (I rode a long time ago, so I don't recall.)

Desperado at Buffalo Bill's is at least $6---at least it was the last time I was there.

All that said, $2.50 is a bargain for a classic ride experience.

Eric

"$2.50 for a ride that's 25 seconds from the second lift to the main brakes" (Jim S.)

I'd pay that. How much is Manhattan Express these days? $10? $12? And that ride isn't longer than about two or three minutes, is it? (I rode a long time ago, so I don't recall.)

Desperado at Buffalo Bill's is at least $6---at least it was the last time I was there.

All that said, $2.50 is a bargain for a classic ride experience.

Eric

Not to mention.... what about a wristband?

I think trying to ride the Flying Turns on a wristband day would be a bad move financially, considering how long the line is likely to be.

Elsewhere I already mentioned that I think the wristband prices are getting too high at Knoebels in any case, but a lot of people disagreed with me. Mostly people who don't actually live in Pennsylvania though, which rather diminishes the validity of their opinion as far as I'm concerned.

^ Is there something about Pennsylvania that you're keeping from us?

Seriously, I would think that Knoebels would price themselves comparably to the local economy as other parks do. For instance, SFMM has always been more expensive than, say, Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags St. Louis because prices out here in California tend to be higher in most areas.

It is true that I don't live in Pennsylvania, but that doesn't "diminish the validity of my opinion," unless, as I said before, there's some mystery about the area.

Eric

Elsewhere I already mentioned that I think the wristband prices are getting too high at Knoebels in any case, but a lot of people disagreed with me. Mostly people who don't actually live in Pennsylvania though, which rather diminishes the validity of their opinion as far as I'm concerned.

I was very surprised to find out the wristband with coaster option was over $30 and that didn't include the Haunted Mansion.

I had always heard the park referred to as the opposite of the big parks in terms of pricing, but that was a lot more than I was expecting since you can get into Great Adventure or Dorney for a few dollars more.

They pay to ride prices seem ok though, nothing compared to Morey's where the big coasters are almost $7 a ride.

Yeah, $2.50 for a coaster, any coaster, really, is a bargain. Expanding on what Eric said, Manhattan Express is now $14, Speed $10, and Desperado and Canyon Blaster are bargains at $7 each. I'd like to think Manhattan Express' high price is to pay for the new B&M or Intamin hyper that is to replace it in 2010! But, alas...

Just because someone doesn't live in Pennsylvania means their opinion is diminished? That is absurd in my opinion.

Prices for rides and parks go up for many reasons, and Knoebels has to do it to remain as profitable they have been. Knoebels is still a good value for what it is. I mean, they offer over 50 rides and attractions on that wristband, not mention, you have the option to not get a wristband for everyone in your family if they don't ride. FREE ADMISSION is a big thing. You can take little 3 year old Lisa, and Grandma Jeanie, and not have to pay for them if they don't want to ride anything. I would say that gives the wristband option more value, since not everyone in a group has to buy one.

Also, I have been to many wristband days where rides were relative walk-ons. Knoebels isn't always busy.

I live in Pennsylvania. I'm not saying what you want to hear. Is my opinion diminished now? And on what grounds do you say that their opinions are diminished? Do you think that Pennsylvanian's make less money than others? What are you implying?

I, personally, was just saying that I think $2.50 is a bargain compared to other "per ride" coasters.

It is, most kiddie coasters are more than that. The only place I know of that has a coaster for less than $2.50 are some of the piers on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk and that's only if you buy tickets during a half price holiday sale (and paying $1.75 to ride a Pinfari looping coaster still isn't worth it)

The all day ride pass may have gone up in price in the last couple of years, but so did theme park admissions all over the world...and it's not like Knoebels hasn't been adding rides every year. Sure, it may be a challenge to get $30 worth of rides in 6 hours with $2.50 at the most single ride prices (that's like having to ride one of the coasters like 11 times!) and so much other things to partake in, like all the foods, swimming pool, or any of the free shows, but I know I'm getting my money's worth since I didn't have to pay for admission or parking. Wristbands really help when you're there all day long and want to ride lots, if you don't, there's always tickets. I know when we stop by after lunch in Selinsgrove, we'll just get tickets and do a round, but Knoebels is still the best prices I know of in PA for the quality.

And I'm born and raised in Pennsylvania, so apparently I know what I'm talking about!

Disregarding the parking fee, Knoebels is more expensive if you were to compare to what Dorney Park and Hersheypark offers. Hershey is 48 bucks a day, and that includes a water park, buying your ticket at a Giant Food Store would bring the price down, probably to 40 bucks. Dorney is cheaper- 40 bucks with a waterpark as well (and that's without discounts). If you were to combine the entire pool, water slides, play area and all but 2 rides, it would come out to $49.50. I don't think the pool has in and out privileges. I think once you leave the exit, they cut off the band if you had a swim and slide combo.

On Knoebel's website, there's this disclaimer: "Pool, Haunted Mansion, Skyride not included in any pay-one-price plans". However, due to poor design on the website that could cause a potential customer service nightmare is that under the Rates section, they list the X D Theater (Good thing I hit preview otherwise it would have said "XD Theater"!) , Mini Golf, Boat Tag, and two different sized buckets of balls for the Boat Tag. Those are upcharge attractions at Knoebels, however since it is not mentioned in the disclaimer, one could argue that they are supposed to be included in the pay-one-price plan since the disclaimer made no mention of it.

Alright, I'll stop being a devil's advocate...

Now back to the Flying Turns topic: Screamscape claims that Knoebels is having problems with the testing of the Flying Turns, and the ride may not open this season. I'm going to wait until I hear from Coastin Steve from RRC to see what he has to say. It's a hot topic over at RRC right now, with people deciding wether or not to go to PPP based on the opening of Flying Turns.

I can easily spend the whole day at Knoebels riding the Flyers, Bumper Cars, my favorite wood coaster Phoenix. But there are plenty of others rides to keep my attention also. I always try to get to Knoebels at opening and leave at closing. Yes, the writsband is getting pricier but it is not overpriced.

Dorney - I have never stayed there more than 4 hours.

Disregarding the parking fee, Knoebels is more expensive if you were to compare to what Dorney Park and Hersheypark offers.

That doesn't make any sense. You have to add up the entire cost of the experience (parking, admission, concessions) to make a real comparison. Knoebels may not be cheap, but they offer a lot for the money. And their policy of allowing non-riding guests in for free is really awesome. Let's face it: non-riding guests get screwed at the vast majority of amusement parks because they get basically zilch for their admission.

I can easily spend the whole day at Knoebels riding the Flyers, Bumper Cars, my favorite wood coaster Phoenix.

Truer words have never been spoken. All 3 of those rides are amazing!

I went to Knoebels last summer and I had a great time at the park. Phoenix is still quite smooth for being so old and has airtime out the wazoo. The bumber cars are, by far, the best ones that I have ever ridden. They seriously have the power of a freight train (I have the bumps and bruises and cuts to prove it). And the flyers are so unbelievably easy to whip that it's just crazy.

I live in Pennsylvania. I'm not saying what you want to hear. Is my opinion diminished now? And on what grounds do you say that their opinions are diminished? Do you think that Pennsylvanian's make less money than others? What are you implying?

The Pennsylvania economy is in the crapper, at least in the part of Pennsylvania where Knoebels is.