TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

My initial reaction is what did Georgia do to piss off coporate. Atleast we can say, disgruntled we may be, we have not had the weird past few years they have.

This doesn't really make sense to me. As someone who visits SFOG frequently, I would say we have been one of the luckiest parks in the chain. In the past 5 years we have received:

1. A brand new custom Eurofighter, which is the only one in the chain.

2. A 242 foot tall Sky Screamer

3. Hurricane Harbor. While small this is only phase one and it is still a huge addition, and by far the nicest looking HH in the chain.

4. Unlike the other parks in the chain, we got a Super Loop AND a customized Tilt-a-Whirl, both of which are the most attractive in the chain. SFOG's Gotham City is now by far the most appealing in the chain as well.

5. Most of the buildings throughout the park have been repainted, further making it the nicest looking park in the chain.

6. The addition of Holiday In The Park, which extends the operating season through early January and will include the entire park and all dry rides this year. I went to this a few days after Dollywood's Smoky Mountain Christmas and thought it would be a joke but it was actually amazing.

7. And now a huge kid's area renovation and expansion with many new rides including adult friendly rides (flyers and a 65 foot drop tower).

I'm not sure how any of that is weird or why you would think SFStL is lucky to not have all the great investments SFOG has had. I have been to both parks and while I enjoyed SFStL, the park is a bit of a mess in pretty much every department.

Not to mention we have one of the most well regarded B&M Stand Ups and B&M Hypers as well

I have been to both parks and while I enjoyed SFStL, the park is a bit of a mess in pretty much every department.

What makes you say that the park is a mess? Especially in EVERY department? I am just wondering what you saw and I didn't.

I have been to both parks and while I enjoyed SFStL, the park is a bit of a mess in pretty much every department.

What makes you say that the park is a mess? Especially in EVERY department? I am just wondering what you saw and I didn't.

Every time I have visited the employees were either rude or did not do their jobs, the service was slow, they were not attentive at all, etc. The park layout was all over the place and you can point out from basically any place you stand a corner they have either given up on or forgotten about. The queues are set up so you have to walk forever to get to the stations. Most of the classic Six Flags charm is gone. The entry to HH was a cluster. The parking lot looked like a bomb had gone off. The landscaping in most areas was either non-existent or heavily neglected. The rides are almost all dated which is fine if they are well maintained but instead they were all showing age and in some cases neglect. A handful of rides never opened all day.

Don't get me wrong, I am overall very easy going and I don't like to nitpick at parks, I just expected my visit to be similarly pleasant in comparison to my visits to SFOG and SFOT (which both, especially the latter, sometimes have significant ride operations issues, so I am not saying they are perfect) but it was definitely a few notches down. I could've just been unlucky with my visits too. It really is not a bad park. It just didn't meet my expectations.

I still really enjoyed the visit though! American Thunder is right up there with the very best GCIs, I love classics so Screaming Eagle and even Ninja really had me pumped. I thought Boss was awesome just because of its size. Mr. Freeze is one of my favorite coasters. Excalibur gets credit for being so unique too. I just am glad it isn't my home park and I've been more impressed by every other Six Flags park (not because of coaster line ups, but because of overall experience and the charming vibes some parks give).

I didn't visit until recent years so it is hard for me to see where the park is going but I hope it is vastly improving each year like most parks in the chain seem to be!

Every time I have visited the employees were either rude or did not do their jobs, the service was slow, they were not attentive at all, etc.

I'm not sure how this could be any different from any other SF park I've ever been to. Actually, even my experience with CF ride ops/food service within the last year has been garbage. The economy is coming back and the money is there for larger capital investments, so why care about the little things like customer service anymore, eh? From our observations it's easier to count the good experiences with large chain park staff as opposed to keeping track of the bad experiences. Front gate staff is always the best, but it just goes downhill from there.

Maybe it's because I'm familiar with SFSTL's layout, but we found SFoG's layout to be a little odd. If I recall correctly, Superman is just tucked in the back kind of awkwardly. SFoG is an OK park, but it's not the high and mighty you seem to be making it out to be. BTR clones aside, the only memorable rides for me were Goliath and Mind Bender. I actually just had to look at the list to even remember what was there and that was only four years ago. Dare Devil? Meh.

Would I rather have SFOG as my home park over SFSTL? Well they have a B&M hyper... so yeah. However, there's a reason why we haven't even thought about going back. It's just not that memorable.

Every time I have visited the employees were either rude or did not do their jobs, the service was slow, they were not attentive at all, etc.

I'm not sure how this could be any different from any other SF park I've ever been to. Actually, even my experience with CF ride ops/food service within the last year has been garbage. The economy is coming back and the money is there for larger capital investments, so why care about the little things like customer service anymore, eh? From our observations it's easier to count the good experiences with large chain park staff as opposed to keeping track of the bad experiences. Front gate staff is always the best, but it just goes downhill from there.

Maybe it's because I'm familiar with SFSTL's layout, but we found SFoG's layout to be a little odd. If I recall correctly, Superman is just tucked in the back kind of awkwardly. SFoG is an OK park, but it's not the high and mighty you seem to be making it out to be. BTR clones aside, the only memorable rides for me were Goliath and Mind Bender. I actually just had to look at the list to even remember what was there and that was only four years ago. Dare Devil? Meh.

Would I rather have SFOG as my home park over SFSTL? Well they have a B&M hyper... so yeah. However, there's a reason why we haven't even thought about going back. It's just not that memorable.

From my experience the employees at SFStL were much worse than those at SFOG. Every time I have to raise an issue to an employee at SFOG it gets resolved and every time that happened at SFStL the employees (and security) were not in any way interested in doing their jobs, did not know what to do, and just wanted to do anything but fulfill their role. It was actually very concerning. Like I said maybe that is just bad luck since I have only been to the park a handful of times.

SFOG isn't the world's best amusement park but I would put its layout, aesthetics, and coaster line up in terms of quality above pretty much any park in the chain. They do have their issues with poor employees and shady clientele though (although it has drastically improved from years ago when the clientele was scary at times).

From my experience the employees at SFStL were much worse than those at SFOG. Every time I have to raise an issue to an employee at SFOG it gets resolved and every time that happened at SFStL the employees (and security) were not in any way interested in doing their jobs, did not know what to do, and just wanted to do anything but fulfill their role. It was actually very concerning. Like I said maybe that is just bad luck since I have only been to the park a handful of times.

SFOG isn't the world's best amusement park but I would put its layout, aesthetics, and coaster line up in terms of quality above pretty much any park in the chain. They do have their issues with poor employees and shady clientele though (although it has drastically improved from years ago when the clientele was scary at times).

OHHHHH LAWWDDDYYY MISSS SCARLETT! STORMS'A BRUIN AND THERE AIN'T NO GOOD WAY TO GET OUT NO WAY NO HOW!

Sorry, I felt that my above response fit the ridiculousness of your post. First, you don't visit often and it isn't your home park. I highly suggest not putting much stock in what an individual might say about a park's employees. I wish I had the statistics in front of me right now (but I guess posting them would get me fired anyway). However, SFSL consistently ranks in the top two or three parks for the vast majority of the areas that are graded. The ones where SFSL isn't at the top are obvious due to different park demographics and circumstances. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but please don't post acting like you know the entire park. I apologize if I sound rude, but I am in the park six days a week. I notice every little corner and thing that can be replaced. We have a fantastic looking park. Yes, some areas could be and are being cleaned up a bit more, but damn does it look good overall. While I know that not every employee interaction a Guest might have may not be 100% pleasant, the one area that our park kicks major butt in is employees going out of their way to help Guests. I've worked three years in Admissions management, Guest Relations (operations management), and now I work in Human Resources. I've seen it all. I seriously, personally hate when someone doesn't have the best day that they could have. It is my and the rest of the park employees' jobs to make sure you have the best day possible. If we fail at that, we don't take it lightly. Especially with the security team, it is made up of some of the best and nicest people you will meet at the park. But at the end of the day, I actually do want to apologize for your lackluster experience. I hope that you will be able to visit again soon and give us another chance.

Now, in terms of the park's layout...Six Flags Over Mid-America was designed to be the crown jewel of the chain at that time. While some find it confusing, it was designed by the top designer at that point it time. Many, including myself, prefer the smaller, cozier midways rather than some of the sprawling midways of parks like SFGAm (not that I don't love that park too). I just think that you're used to SFOG, because our park really is laid out pretty well.

I have to say HHFan, we love JLBFM! It is a great addition to our park!!!

Another friend of mine who is a coaster enthusiast told me her sources have "confirmed" an RMC conversion to our park for 2017. Has anyone else heard this???

"Sources"? Is she affiliated with Six Flags in any way?

I'm not sure. She didn't tell details of her source. I will ask her next time I see her.

Her source should probably tell Dave and the park directors that she has confirmed an RMC conversion for 2017. They'd probably like to know so that they can get ready with the planning.

Oh, and someone had posted a screenshot from the Fright Fest teaser site with the words 'End of Boss'. Dave said that the people who just throw those sites together are over in Texas and have no idea what parks are adding each year. They just try to find something catchy to put.

I really hope they do a RMC conversion to The Boss. I've never had a smooth and fun ride on that thing

The Boss was running awesomely in the back this summer. I could deal with the roughness if it meant some awesome airtime on every single drop.

^ I have to disagree. Every time I rode The Boss this Summer was an absolutely awful ride. I only keep riding it for friends that I visit with. I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if I never rode it again. This is the worst year for it too. Too rough. Too painful. Too much.

^^ I agree that the back is the best seat. But it still does not change how bad the ride is.

^ Agreed! I always come off with a headache, and have often wondered if I got whiplash. I've also had bruised thighs from the unforgiving restraints.

Uh... If you are having that many experiences with security or making complaints... did you ever think that the issue could be... you?

SFOG may have your 'personal' favorite line-up, but I think you're high if you really are convinced it's one of the best line-up in the chain. I'll give you 'solid', but anything over that is an over statement. However, with a surrounding population as large as Georgia, 'm par' might be more accurate. Dare Devil gets points for being unique to the U.S., but for me it stops there. I'd even take the version of Mr. Freeze that I don't prefer over that snooze fest. Again... personally... if that sets the standard for all eurofighters, then I see them as junior coasters on steroids.

So we are gaining a Larson Loop and losing the Rush Street Flyer? I don't want to upset everyone with a whining fest, but the Rush Street Flyer is one of the few remaining flats that I like at the park and I'm not convinced that I am going to like the Larson Loop, but I will give it a try. Each year seems to be replacing flats that I like with attractions that I don't like. HWFan, I know you can't tell us everything, but has Dave (or corporate) ever considered getting a set of the zero-turning radius bumper cars? They have those over at Swing Around Fun Town and they are actually pretty fun. Also, Is there any chance that the Joker could be replaced with an S&S Screaming Swing?

To those who want to say that SFSTL employees are bad, spend time over at SFMM and you will be begging to have SFSTL employees again. SFSTL employees do not have the attitude problem that the SFMM did, it took a fraction of the time to get a drink at SFSTL as it did at SFMM, and due to the lack of interest of the employees at SFMM on a couple of the rides (Scream!, Riddler's Revenge, Colossus, etc.) the advantage of the Flash Pass was lost due to them not paying any attention to us. SFSTL employees are not perfect but they are some of the better ones, most of them have a good attitude. I agree with Prozach, if you are having problems with security at the park, you will find the source of the problem when you take a good look at the man in mirror. I have never once had a bad encounter with the park security in all the years I have attended.

^ I'm with you. Rush was pretty cool and I have a lot of early memories on it. That being said, although no one is jumping out of their panties with excitement about the Loop, this was probably a smart move if you look at maintenance cost/operations cost/etc. From the sounds of it, Rush was probably getting to, or past the point, where replacement parts were hard to find and costly. Also, by replacing a flat with another flat, as opposed to just plopping a new attraction and keeping all of the remaining attractions, you can keep the staff overhead roughly the same. Although I won't pretend to make up positives for the addition of boomerang, I guess there are a few positives for the Loop. I think the location will be nice and maybe they can jazz up the queue and area a bit.

One interesting thought: Visibility from behind the current Rush will be changed. No longer will you have what was essentially a giant billboard blocking the view down to the train station and Mine Train.

Edit: Also yes. Magic Mountain was a complete Sh** hole when we went. We rode everything once... or at least what was open... and got the hell out of there as quickly as we could.

I can only speculate (hope) that when Tidal Wave does get yanked that's when a lot of us are going to be very happy. But... it will probably end up being a free spin and everyone will be happy... cept me. I'm used to it.

I would think when the Ninja goes everyone will be happy, but what do I know.

If we get an S&S 4D I wouldn't be surprised if it too would be called Total Mayhem. That's an easy "theme" to clone. Although, I'd prefer it to be a green lantern. But with Boomerang being green that may prevent that.

I kind of like the direction the SF chain is going with a more original name like Total Mayhem. I was expecting another Goliath or BTR. Also, how cool is it that SFMM is getting new OTSR-less trains and a refurbishment? Maybe after 5-10 years of cleaning up the mess even SFMM can be a nice place to go.