TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

p. 416 - Fire and Ice Festival announced!

The Texas Giant opened in 1990 as the world’s tallest wooden roller coaster but was closed in November 2009 to convert it to a steel-and-wood grape flavored fruit chew.

Well, that's the most tragically hilarious use of the forum filter!

I doubt it'll be too long until we get a clear picture of what truly happened. But I'm definitely betting it was due to rider dimensions rather than an actual malfunction, but I won't jump to conclusions until we have that official report.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"unfortunately"   Seriously. . WTF is wrong with you ??

They aren't changing anything.  Same goes for Fiesta Texas. https://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/plan-your-visit/safety-protocols  

I don’t entirely understand why this is getting so much publicity and so many questions surrounding it as if there aren’t 15 other states with no mask mandates including many states that have Six Flag

Posted Images

Just heard the news. WOW, my condolences go out to the family. I can't imagine the terror of the riders on that particular train after witnessing what happened for the rest of the ride! Holding on for dear life perhaps.

The restraint being down when the train came back doesn't necessarily mean it was down the whole ride. If the guy on the train who tweeted he saw the restraint pop up before she fell out is correct, then it's entirely possible the lapbar just went back down and relocked during the rest of the ride.

Wasn't he like 2 rows back? Would he have actually been able to see it and if so how did he know to look? I am calling BS on his tweets.

The fact that he called it a "restraint" and the fact that he actually sounded like a somewhat intelligent human being gives me a little faith in his story. Much more faith than the click lady. Just because he was two rows back doesn't mean he wouldn't or couldn't have seen exactly what happened.

That and the fact that he actually seemed genuinely disgusted by what he witnessed (and has now locked his twitter account), I would be much more willing to believe his story. I feel terrible for anyone who had to witness this awful tragedy.

The restraint being down when the train came back doesn't necessarily mean it was down the whole ride. If the guy on the train who tweeted he saw the restraint pop up before she fell out is correct, then it's entirely possible the lapbar just went back down and relocked during the rest of the ride.

Yeah I don't know if I completely believe that either. You don't exactly have a good view of anyone else's restraint on the ride, and to say you were a couple rows back and somehow noticed a lapbar popping up seems to be a stretch.

Not to mention those lapbars are freakin' hard to push down, and I dunno if the force from the ride alone would be enough to push it back down had it indeed released.

Yeah I don't know if I completely believe that either. You don't exactly have a good view of anyone else's restraint on the ride, and to say you were a couple rows back and somehow noticed a lapbar popping up seems to be a stretch.

Not to mention those lapbars are freakin' hard to push down, and I dunno if the force from the ride alone would be enough to push it back down had it indeed released.

I remember some how Alan said he would like his coasters to stay low Gs, but I think the force should be enough to push it back.

All I can say is Giant is one of the few coasters I've ridden that if there's a little room between my legs and restraint, the forces from the ride alone do not cause the lapbar to end up stapling me unlike other, traditional, ratcheting restraint systems.

So you're trying to tell me that being two rows back, as the train is ascending a hill, you wouldn't be able to see a restraint pop up? That's the story you're rolling with?

Something I have been thinking about, but can't confirm that it is related to this incident.

I have always had a problem with ride-ops "forcing" restraints to close for people with irregular body perorations. I was at Darien Lake recently and saw two ops hammering on the restraint for Blast off in order to accommodate a larger man.

I would argue that this is more embarrassing than doing the "walk-of-shame" as everyone in line noticed what is happening. I heard some rude comments after the rider exited after his ride from other park guests. Additionally, it is putting the riders safety at risk.

I hope that isn't the case here. I understand that it is probably difficult for ride-ops to learn how to tell guests "no."

Again, this is just my opinion, and not necessarily related to this incident as we do not have enough info.

An investigation may take 6 weeks or more. I don't know how strict Texas is on ride inspections and regulations, but in New York, a full investigation must be done and the ride has to be inspected before it reopens.

For what it's worth, Superman Ride of Steel (now Bizarro) was closed for about 30 days following the incident on that ride and Ride of Steel was closed for 2 weeks. Now this one may have a different cause than these, but will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by Jakizle

Woke up to here the sad news about NTAG! Watched several LA new channels and they have said dumb SH@# and have their facts all wrong. Local Ventura County news station seem to have the facts straight about roller coast accidents. We just need to be patient and wait to find out the cause for this unfortunate accident

Gerstlauer's brochure for the trains confirm what we already knew: redundant hydraulic cylinders for redundancy.

It doesn't matter what the brochure says and and doesn't matter whether the train actually came back into the station with the lap bar down.

There will be people (legislators, safety advocates, general public, Six Flags lawyers) calling for a visible second restraint in the form of a seat belt.

I wish that someone who actually knew how roller coasters work saw the incident, so we would have more of an idea of what really happened.

Unfortunately, even if someone knew what to look for, I doubt they would have seen anything. Unless you were riding right next to her and watching her restraint the entire time, you wouldn't really be able to truly know if she just "slipped" out or if there was some sort of failure. Additionally, given the location and height of where the incident allegedly happened, it would be difficult for anyone off the ride, even if they were watching the train closely, to be able to say anything definitive. In previous incidents similar to this, investigators have always been able to find a root cause of the tragedy. Hopefully, this incident will be no different.

^Seatbelts are added for redundancy. The restraints already have built in redundancy. There really isn't an actual need for seatbelts on most coasters these days other than to appease lawyers.

^Seatbelts are added for redundancy. The restraints already have built in redundancy. There really isn't an actual need for seatbelts on most coasters these days other than to appease lawyers.

The only argument I can make for seatbelts is that they serve a redundancy purpose should the lap bar not be fastened properly. I know that the lab par has built in redundancy should there be a mechanical failure, but the seatbelt is there should the lab bar not be fastened properly.

Point being, we have entered the "YOLO" age where people turn off their brains as soon as they enter the park. Combine that with ride-ops making minimum wage and that one "bad seed" who doesn't do his/her job properly and the seatbelt is your last line of defense.

Maybe now, people will understand SkyRush. The restraints will tighten as the ride continues, thus sometimes making it a little uncomfortable near the end. But how can you safely deliver such violent (I think fun) airtime with out such an aggressive restaint system?

I worry about the industry when this happens. Company's must still deliver airtime. I hate to think IRat would have to suffer any consequences due to the NTAG tragedy. It's such a great ride and I want to see more RMC transformations. There is so many wood coasters out there that could be done.

I don't see why seatbelts weren't installed in the first place. I understand that it's for more airtime, but if I ran a theme park, I wouldn't want to take a chance. Accidents can happen at any time.

Throughput. Capacity. Redundant seat belts reduce them.

Saw this on CNN and with CNN being CNN I decided to turn here because people here know about coasters more than most of the people on CNN. In any case, it's a terrible tragedy that this happened, and my thoughts are with the family and the park.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but who will be conducting the investigation? The NTSB?

I don't see why seatbelts weren't installed in the first place. I understand that it's for more airtime, but if I ran a theme park, I wouldn't want to take a chance. Accidents can happen at any time.

Throughput. Capacity. Redundant seat belts reduce them.

Further adding to it...the ever-so-exciting Grizzly at CGA not only features a lapbar, but also has a normal seatbelt for each guest, plus a redundancy belt to ensure lapbar is closed. All of this equals out to long 5-minute dispatch times. Ironically, Grizzly is probably the last coaster I would think of that needs extra redundancy as one could probably safely ride that with probably simple buzz bars.