TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

p. 416 - Fire and Ice Festival announced!

Gerstlauer really is in trouble this time

Why would they be in trouble?

I'm sure by tomorrow, we will have more details of what caused the accident. It could be a number of things.

Financial problem on adding seat belts, fixing trains, testing etc, and the accident may influence their business to some extent although it seems like there were problems in ride op, rider and something more.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"unfortunately"   Seriously. . WTF is wrong with you ??

They aren't changing anything.  Same goes for Fiesta Texas. https://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/plan-your-visit/safety-protocols  

I don’t entirely understand why this is getting so much publicity and so many questions surrounding it as if there aren’t 15 other states with no mask mandates including many states that have Six Flag

Posted Images

In spite of this news I'm still headed down to the park this weekend. I was afraid it would be busy but now I'm thinking it won't be.

Wait, I thought you weren't going back to the park until Shockwave reopened.

^Gerstlaur made the trains, and therefore the restraint mechanism. That is the logic in his statement.

I Feel bad speculation so soon after the accident, but I'm sure it will turn out to be ride op error.

Also, the reported part of the ride she fell out on seems strange...doesn't seem like it is the airtime heavy part of the ride. It was after the double up. With those side walls on the train it would seem difficult to eject sideways.

It's a new ride. I'm sure it had computer-restraint backup. Someone else mentioned this in the discussion.

My speculation is that the restraint came undone on the double up (or could be any part of the ride) and she was able to hang on until the turn. In one of Bizarro's incidents the man's restraint came undone, but he was able to hang on until the final turn of the ride. So it is possible she could've held on until the turn.

My best guess is the rider was too big. I've seen many people squeeze those restraints down, lock, and then some system in the restraint releases it because it isn't far enough down or something. Should be interesting to find out what exactly happened.

SFOT is losing rides, quickly. With Giant down, that only leaves B:TR, Freeze, Judge, Titan, Runaway Mountain, and La Vibora. I can only imagine how packed the lines will be in the near future since Giant was such a people grabber.

Edited by robbalvey
Gerstlauer really is in trouble this time

Why would they be in trouble?

I'm sure by tomorrow, we will have more details of what caused the accident. It could be a number of things.

Financial problem on adding seat belts, fixing trains, testing etc, and the accident may influence their business to some extent although it seems like there were problems in ride op, rider and something more.

Its been 3 years since they bought the trains from Gerstlauer. I would think six flags maintenance has probably done some tweaks to the trains since then. Plus its not going to be hard to add some seat belts. I just think we should wait on more details before we say a company is in trouble.

As for holding companies responsible, Intamin is still strong after Perilous's fatal (among others). From what I can gather thus far, this incident could very well be a repeat of the same circumstances that led to the 2001 incident...however, that's just shameful speculation based on current data, and I'm not holding myself to it fully until the facts are straightened out.

Edited by robbalvey
For those who've been on NTAG, are there seat belts?

There are not, this has already been discussed though. If you want to know what we know so far read the last few pages, just understand there are no facts at this point other than a woman fell from the ride to her death.

It's freaky to hear about this accident and think that I was at SFOT yesterday and rode New Texas Giant so close to this horrible accident. My condolences go out to everyone involved in this horrible, though I also feel incredibly lucky that I got to ride it before this tragic accident since I'm guessing it'll probably be down for a while now.

I'd like to add that Guru saying he felt secure even though the restraint was against his gut rather than his legs is all well and good but it is for that exact reason that SFNE's Superman had a similar accident to this. In that accident the restraint was designed to be resting on a riders thighs but was instead against his torso and he was thrown from the ride because of it. Something like that may have happened here as well.

Many of us are speculating she was large, which I agree makes sense.

But let's say she was not, instead she's average height and build.

Ride op error? Always seems like they staple the seats on that ride when I'm there...

Also, how about the random issues they've been having with the sensors over the past months?

I've been at the park several times when NTAG has been closed for an hour or two because of sensor problems.

I'm interested to know which train it was, has that been reported?

In spite of this news I'm still headed down to the park this weekend. I was afraid it would be busy but now I'm thinking it won't be.

Wait, I thought you weren't going back to the park until Shockwave reopened.

that's when I was thinking it would be just a few weeks. now that I know it will be all summer i'm going to go enjoy the other rides. sounds like pandemonium, shockwave and NTAG will all be closed though. still I can try TSS and ride the 42" requirement rides with my son.

the real reason is we have merlin annual passes that expire this weekend. we won't be renewing as LEGOLAND Discovery Center is pretty lame. we really like SeaLife though.

Many of us are speculating she was large, which I agree makes sense.

But let's say she was not, instead she's average height and build.

Ride op error? Always seems like they staple the seats on that ride when I'm there...

Also, how about the random issues they've been having with the sensors over the past months?

I've been at the park several times when NTAG has been closed for an hour or two because of sensor problems.

I'm interested to know which train it was, has that been reported?

In someone's somewhat dubious report of the incident they stated it was the red train.

Very sad situation indeed. I have to admit this but it makes me thankful that my home park cedar point is over the top with the restraint system and larger riders. I know it has not been confirmed if this was a plus size person or not, but if so then I'm sure Six Flags will make sure the proper restraints are added across the board for all coasters. This is definitely bad press for gerstlauer which no company would want to get but in the end it will help enhance these type of restraint systems to create less opportunity for these type of accidents.

Seems like a crazy day for amusement park related accidents. Cedar Point and this, thankfully Cedar Point's incident wasn't fatal.

Hopefully we find out more about what exactly happened as they investigate further. I won't go into speculation, I will just wait until the professionals have done their job and came out with a full report. My prayers go out to the family of the victim.

Anyone further who wants to argue about our NTAG acronym will be banned. Understood? Great. Thank you!

I wasn't joking. I've banned two people already. Want to continue to be obnoxious? You'll be banned.

Just hearing about this now. What a day in the industry. Praying for all involved at both parks. Kinda crazy, because I'm headed out for CP in a few hours and will be at SFOT next week. The plan was to hit all 3 RMCs, but we'll see what happens. Safety is most important.

One last thing I'll say before I head off to bed. New Texas Giant was running EXTREMELY INSANE today like I had never seen before. It also had had this sketchy feel to it, almost as if you could sense something was about to happen. It's an extremely sad situation for all parties and my thoughts are with those affected.