TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dive Machines? What are your thoughts?

With Shakira (aka Sheikra) coming out at BGT, who has already been on some of the few Dive Machines in existence and what did they think of them, especially in comparison to other types of coasters ?

I was just really curious.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the current dive machines are kinda lacking because really they only are a drop...

The Sheikra looks like it might be a hell of a ride but it is hard to know with B&M as they seem a little too concerned about a smooth low G ride these days. Honestly though that initial drop is quite a feeling. Not a whole lot compares to it IMHO but on the old ones there just wasn't enough left on the ride.

Oblivion is one of the scariest rides i've been on. Lingering over the top of that drop and seeing no track beneath you is such a rush. And then you get pulled over it and come right out of your seat.

Shakira will be one good ride

Actually IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

But honestly the biggest problem with Oblivion was it just finished as soon as it started. If they can pull off the feeling and make a good ride out of the rest it could be a damn cool ride. I'm just worried with the way that B&Ms have been getting seemingly progressively tamer.

I think I'm notorious for bashing Oblivion. Really, it would be a fantastic ride if it was just more than drop/tunnel/turn/brakes. Plus, add a long queue in the wicked heat - my overall impression of the ride just sucked. If I got to ride during ERT with no/short wait, I would probably end up liking it a lot more.

Another thing that sucks about Oblivion is that the actual vertical distance you fall is quite short. As soon as you enter the tunnel, you start pulling out of the vertical section. It needs to be taller. Sheikra is only, what?... 20 feet taller, though?

Plus, I can experience a 272' drop anytime I want at PKD.

-kip-

584514994_dropzonepkd.thumb.jpg.0455ed2110dd0dfa5b51d9d7d4194436.jpg

THIS is a drop ride!

Sheikra is only, what?... 20 feet taller, though?

Yes, but the good thing about Sheikra being allitle bit higher is that it doesn't drop into a tunnel when it shows it's height.

Sheikra may be 20ft taller in drop related, but it will be 135ft height wise, that might be allitle more exciting hanging from the drop looking down that high, IMO.

I dont really know if the cars on SheiKra will make a big deal on the ride experience, if it will pull the car faster, or slower, I dont know, But I know this will be more than just a "drop ride" as an experience you cant compare it to a tower, its got alot more involved with it (the high immelman loop, the splashdown, two vertical drops, and a longer coaster track than the other dive machines).

But as for the other ones go, I guess people may consider them close enough to a drop ride, still look good to me, just really short.

-Justin "Who cant wait to ride SheiKra"

It is a very different experience dropping head first to the ground, as opposed to drop tower style, butt first. You could argue if SheiKra's feeling of height is any better than that the hold back, looking into hell pit thingy feeling on Oblivion. I will just await people's judgement, but I think SheiKra will come out victorious.

It is a very different experience dropping head first to the ground, as opposed to drop tower style, butt first. You could argue if SheiKra's feeling of height is any better than that the hold back, looking into hell pit thingy feeling on Oblivion. I will just await people's judgement, but I think SheiKra will come out victorious.

True, the looking to the bottom and not seeing the drop would be amazing too, no matter how high or low it was

-Justin

Oblivion and the other Dive Machines have the head-first factor which no drop tower can offer. Also, I think that the feeling of freefall on Oblivion beats any other freefall ride. You get a real floating sensation on the ride, becaues the restraints allow for a lot of airtime when falling, whereas you get pinned down by the restraints on Average Drop Tower 101.

Everyone expects too much because it's technically rollercoaster, when it's really a drop tower on wheels. Now that the ride has been explored more, it can offer more.

Oblivion was the protoype, Sheikra is the Dive Machine Mark 2.

• 2 months later...

hi,all of you coaster crazy people

back to topic#

rumors are that a dive coaster is more intence than tower e.g apocolypse.

and i just wanted to know because i went on a tower and thoaght it was

quite intence.i'm going on oblivion soon bet just wanted to know.

When I went on Oblivion last summer I was suprised at how intense it was, but it's over so quick you don't really get to enjoy it all that much. It is a very different feeling from any tower I've been on but that could be due to how your body is oriented. The hang time before the drop plays with your brain much more that the actual drop plays with your body. Give it a try, it's really not that bad!

• 8 months later...

You can't compare Shiekra and Oblivion!

Oblivion was the first Dive Machine. When it came out it offered a new experience for riders: being held at the brink, then plunging at a near 90 degree angle into a tunnel. It didn't need to have a lot of bells and whistles. B&M was testing out the technology, new trains, etc. Now with the success of Oblivion and G5 in Taiwan, they are expanding what the diving machines can do, hence Shiekra.

It's just like comparing S:ROS at SFDL (the FIRST Intamin Megacoaster) with Expedition Ge Force, or polling people about what the best Six Flags park is. They're totally different.

end rant. lol.

Wow, this thread was resurrected!

Anyways, I've always been a fan of Oblivion, and Shakira just blows it away! A lot of us were worried about Busch and B&M toning it down, but Shakira in the back seat is AMAZING! I really think I would say that BGT has 3 of the top 10 B&M's in the world. Not too shabby!

I recently found my 'onride DVD' from Sheikra that you can purchase at the exit, I'll try and find a way to post it because it is sooooo terribly bad!!!

Elissa, that video sounds rather interesting... lol

Anyways, SheiKra's drop is much better compared to Oblivion's, IMO, because not only do you get the full visual of the drop, the sense of speed is much bette, it makes it feel as if you are going faster...