TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Sounds like a waterpark expansion then

The current employee lot, warehouses, and hr building are the only thing blocking the waterpark from expanding. Sadly, the waterpark is one of the best in the chain, and really doesn't need any love for a while. Really needs a dry side flat

The slides need to be re-painted. It's really boring that of the slides are the cream color. When Beach Party was added, it really sparked the area, because of all the vibrant colors. I guess the only ones that come to mind are the 6 tube slides and the 2 speed slides. Snake Pit and the big raft slides can stay.

Yeah, was hoping they'd paint the 90's cream colored slides this year, but looks like that's not happening yet. Hopefully it's coming with the next water park expansion.

The training building has been a much needed addition for the park. There's never been a dedicated orientation/training spot for the park as they've been held them in the catering area or in Family Grill in either rain or shine. While I don't see the HR building or the maintenance shop moving anytime soon, I can see them expanding into the current employee lot for a future water park expansion in the next couple years. Beach Party was added in 2011 and the previous water park addition before that was Funnel of Fear in 2005, so there is potential for a water park expansion next year, but I'm not really counting on it considering everything has been pointing towards a new dry ride for 2016.

I've also heard rumblings that the second train for Timbertown Railway might finally be making its debut this year. Even though the park has owned it since 2011, there's been some issues with it that's been preventing it from being put into operation, but hopefully this is finally the year. Having the 2nd train added would reduce the wait time by half and double the capacity. I know it's been needed for busy days as it can be a 1 to 2 train wait and the train comes around every 10-15 minutes, so that's a long time to wait for a train ride.

The whole issue on why the path behind Wildcat hasn't been converted to a midway is because it would basically defeat the purpose of the train and it'd require a ton of work to make it safe for guests. There would be a lot of fencing and concrete work to be done and the garbage compactor behind Wildcat Grill would have to be moved as well. I know some people would say, "why don't they use blacktop instead of concrete to save money," but that's something the park hasn't used for their midways since the early 70's. Going back to Rodger Jourden and when he owned the park, they would of rather spent the extra cost to have concrete poured than to have hot blacktop on their midways to make it more comfortable for guests. Even to this day, there's not a single spot in the park where guests walk that it's blacktop, it's all concrete. I mean heck, blacktop has been used up until recently at a lot of major parks and some parks haven't even thought about replacing it until recently.

There are rumblings of CP, CW, Carowinds, WOF, and Dorney getting decent additions this year. There prly isn't going to be any meat left on the bones for MIA.

2011: Beach Party

2012: NOTHING

2013: Lake side Gliders

2014: Nothing

2015: ?

Screamscape says a chance coaster, which would be great, but I dont see it happening dont want to be set up for disappointment. Im going May 29th and Ill post any changes I see. What are your thoughts on 2016?

Each park is more less independent from the others and don't really share that bone.

I have heard for the past few years about the chance coaster, but now I have heard that all cedar fair properties are going to have a dark ride as well.....so who knows.

eather way, they are due for something.

The thing about Michigan's Adventure's new picture is that I see 2 new coasters. A GCI "Prowler/ Renegade" type coaster (Red) and then a vertical loop ride. (Black). Anyone else notice the ferris wheel looks like it placed at the last second?

Wood/ Steel hybrid?

I love Cedar Fair's new website.

Just an artist rendering. That same wooden coaster is on dorneys and worlds of funs site. Im guessing the loop is supposed to be corkscrew

wait MIA website doesn't show all that extra stuff ??

It's on Cedar Fair's new website. By clicking on each park reveals a drawing. The odd thing is, only Kings Dominion, Michigan's Adventure and ValleyFair show a coaster not at the park. Possibly hinting at a future new coaster.

There are rumblings of CP, CW, Carowinds, WOF, and Dorney getting decent additions this year. There prly isn't going to be any meat left on the bones for MIA.

I personally think Michigan's Adventure is more likely to get a coaster than those other parks because MiA along with Cedar Point are the only parks where I've seen/heard decent evidence of a possible coaster (MiA GM hinting at major capital), whereas the rumors for the other parks are enthusiast optimism for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the parks new ad and NONE of the rides appeared. I've seen the Cedar Point ad and they show their rides. It's really stupid for them not to give this park more respect. I bet all the other Cedar Fair parks have at least one of their rides for their respected ad.

Sorry for the double post. I drove by the park yesterday and took a couple quick cell phone pics. I believe they are of the new employee training center. I wasn't able to take a pic of it, but its looks as though they are building a new building between drummer boy and the arcade?

245114809_mia1.jpg.45c7356111070af6409d3c297aa985b7.jpg

509308657_mia2.jpg.49f85ab0a7dfab919a826f88bebc40e7.jpg

1911004694_mia3.jpg.17141ac725f4042f4f59ed84a565dfe1.jpg

I just saw the parks new ad and NONE of the rides appeared. I've seen the Cedar Point ad and they show their rides. It's really stupid for them not to give this park more respect. I bet all the other Cedar Fair parks have at least one of their rides for their respected ad.

My brother was just in Grand Rapids for a hockey tournament. He kept texting me and asking about Rougarou and wondered how close CP was to him. Told him it was a bit aways but MA wasn't too far. He didn't even know what that was.

ATTENTION TPR MEMBERS!!! We need your help so that we can have representatives at ALL 11 Cedar Fair parks for the Coasting for Kids event!!

-------------------------------------------------

Currently, we have NO participants registered for the Team TPR that is setup at Michigan's Adventure!!.

Do you live near Michigan's Adventure? Would you like to enjoy an awesome day of riding, while also supporting this fantastic charity?? If you can answer YES to these questions, then simply go to the park sign-up page here and register today: http://support.gktw.org/site/TR?fr_id=1382&pg=entry

(**BE SURE TO REGISTER UNDER TEAM TPR**)

For more information, just visit our Coasting for Kids 2015 thread (in the Stickies section of the forum). I'm sure you'll get some help from here to make sure you meet the $75 minimum fundraising requirement to participate! But with only 2 and a half weeks to go before the event, please don't delay!! Join Team TPR today! Thanks!

I remember in 1998 when Shivering Timbers hit the news and people from across the country flocked to Muskegon to ride the beast that towered over the parking lot. It was a gem in a small family owned park in a beach town. Looking at pictures online really reminds of those days. The old days when the park had no trees, no landscaping, nothing with fresh paint, and no buildings. It was a big parking lot with some rides and a water park. I know we like to hate on CedarFair for not throwing in some huge thrill rides into this park. But if you can remember into the old days it will open your eyes. Wildcat is rideable now. Everything is painted. The park has been landscaped. There are finally some nice shaded tree areas. The park is very clean and presentable now. Now the park is up to Cedar Fair standards, and now the time for growth. I honestly don't think the park was ready for the rumored Morgan hyper in 2001. Now the park is efficient and ready for today's tourist money. I am now fully expecting SOMETHING for the 2016 season. Lets make the 60th season a great one!

^I 100% agree. Especially with Cedar Point and Great America relatively close to it, the park needed TLC more than anything. Admittedly, the first time I went to the park was in 2009, but even over the past six years the park has improved its look and feel. I'm willing to bet last year's infrastructure overhaul and the new employee facilities they're building right now are the final steps in bringing the park up to speed... and the first steps toward expansion. Maybe once Cedar Fair is off of their Carowinds/ValleyFair/California's Great America kick they'll move on to Michigan's Adventure.

I remember in 1998 when Shivering Timbers hit the news and people from across the country flocked to Muskegon to ride the beast that towered over the parking lot. It was a gem in a small family owned park in a beach town. Looking at pictures online really reminds of those days. The old days when the park had no trees, no landscaping, nothing with fresh paint, and no buildings. It was a big parking lot with some rides and a water park. I know we like to hate on CedarFair for not throwing in some huge thrill rides into this park. But if you can remember into the old days it will open your eyes. Wildcat is rideable now. Everything is painted. The park has been landscaped. There are finally some nice shaded tree areas. The park is very clean and presentable now. Now the park is up to Cedar Fair standards, and now the time for growth. I honestly don't think the park was ready for the rumored Morgan hyper in 2001. Now the park is efficient and ready for today's tourist money. I am now fully expecting SOMETHING for the 2016 season. Lets make the 60th season a great one!

I first went to the park as a child right around the time Shivering Timbers was built, so I'm not really old enough to have noticed significant changes to the park. But I really hope you are right. The park is one good flat ride and another good coaster away from being a very respectable park. I can't believe the Thunderhawk hand-me-down was already 7 years ago.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2015/05/looking_back_at_michigans_adve.html

Here's some great nostalgia pictures of the park and it's amazing how much this park has grown. The 1988 aerial pic (dated wrong, as 1989 introduced Giant Gondola Wheel, Trabant, and Falling Star and would of been in the pic) in the slideshow shows that this park basically was a couple rides plopped in the middle of nowhere. 2 coasters, a handful of flat rides, a couple kiddie rides, a Cadillac car track, and the massive Arrow hydroflume was all that was at the park only 27 years ago.

I've been going to the park since 2003 and looking back at some of the pictures I have when we went there, it's really amazing what's changed. Went from feeling like a little small family-owned park that was still a bit rough around the edges, to a full fledged amusement park that's ran by one of the largest amusement park chains in the world, and it still has a family-owned feeling to it.

And that Morgan hyper, it wasn't rumored, it was actually going to happen if the Jourden family didn't decide to sell the park in 2001. Would of been the grand finale to the 5-year plan that unfortunately never was completed. The Jourden family did at least end up with their campground (well, really a RV resort) across the street, although it took them quite a few more years before it was built.

I'm still hoping that the 60th anniversary for the park is going to be a rather big year once again. I'm hoping the park will make an announcement by the end of the season, but if not, then hoping we'll hear about their plans by the end of the year.

I remember when Corkscrew was ugly white and nothing was on the other side of the lake. Falling Star was probably one of my favorite flat rides.

Unless Funnel of Fear was once Blue and Pink, I think that is a wrong picture. It could be Zinga at Holiday World.

If it's a roller coaster, I bet we'll have an announcement by the end of the summer. It could start snowing as early as October, so all of the ground work at the very least will need to be done by September, and there's no way they're gonna be able to hide that.