TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pennsylvania Trip Planning

I am going to Dickinson College for a couple of weeks during the summer. As any sane coaster enthusiast would, I am trying to fit at least one theme park into my trip. I am already aware of HersheyPark, Kennywood, and Knoebels, and would like to know if there is any other parks I do not know about. Any insight to which parks I should go to and travel arrangements is welcome. Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am already aware of Knoebels

Oh... well I guess you don't need my suggestion. Cool, I'm gonna go have a beer. Enjoy your trip to Knoebels!

yep. . Knoebel's

a few rides on Twister, a few rides on Phoenix, the chair lift, a spin on Impulse (the newest steel coaster there), Flying Turns, the Carousel, an hour or two playing fascination, and a spin on Black Diamond , and the Haunted house?

Along the way stop for Pizza, Cheeze on a Stick (from the rocket in kiddie section), and a sundae from the old Mill.

Perfect day at Knoebel's

(yeah, I'm not a bumper car fan, or a flyers fan, but I've heard they are very good there. . .we skipped em )

Edited by bert425

^^I'm not a Bumper Cars or Flyers fan either but I swear by the Knoebels Bumper Cars and Knoebels flyers. The Knoebels bumper cars are so good that they've ruined all other Bumper Car rides for me. If you go to Knoebels and don't ride these rides you're doing it wrong. Don't skip the bumper cars, yes... They'll have a long line but there's a reason for that.

All of your suggestions are great though, just throw in Black Diamond, Flume and tons of flats. All of their flats seem to run better cycles than their counterparts so they're all worth a spin. Downdraft is amaze-balls. So is all the food.

Oh and don't pass up StratosFEAR. It looks mediocre but it's one of the best drop towers in the world.

I would suggest visiting Dorney Park as it's not too far away from where you'll be staying. It's a nice park with a great collection of coasters. I had visited it for the first time last June and it was definitely worth the two day visit. I had a great time despite what many say about the park!

My only suggestion since you're right near Hershey is to do Hershey. I have not been to Knoebels but from what I can tell its magical, but Hershey is hands down my favorite park and the line-up of coasters is near perfect. Kennywood is fun too. Also I know its a bit of a hike (2.5-3 hour drive from where you'll be) but if you haven't been to Great Adventure make a day trip if you can. Not the best park but great well rounded line-up and worth the trip just for El Toro.

^^I'm not a Bumper Cars or Flyers fan either but I swear by the Knoebels Bumper Cars and Knoebels flyers. The Knoebels bumper cars are so good that they've ruined all other Bumper Car rides for me. If you go to Knoebels and don't ride these rides you're doing it wrong. Don't skip the bumper cars, yes... They'll have a long line but there's a reason for that.

All of your suggestions are great though, just throw in Black Diamond, Flume and tons of flats. All of their flats seem to run better cycles than their counterparts so they're all worth a spin. Downdraft is amaze-balls. So is all the food.

Oh and don't pass up StratosFEAR. It looks mediocre but it's one of the best drop towers in the world.

fixed it. . I meant Black Diamond, and called it "old mill"

we did enjoy the flume (and bought a picture!).. but honestly, it was a bit short.

1574699025_Knobelsflume.JPG.7677b08972a4f7c549299d58186986b1.JPG

I just did a huge Pennsylvania road trip last summer and had a great time. I think you have the right 3 at the top of your list with Kennywood, Hershey, and Knoebels. I will say that my day at Knoebels was probably the highlight of the trip. It is such a different experience than the other parks and you just have a gigantic smile on every ride! Kennywood is a good park with a good mix of old and new, but some of their policies were odd/frustrating to me. Hersheypark is worth a visit for their Intamins alone. If you can do all three, you won't regret it. If you can only do one, I would probably chose Knoebels over the rest of them.

With all that said, if you want to ride a bunch of decent to average coasters with hardly any wait, you might want to consider Dorney, but the other three parks are sooooooo much better and much more worth your time, IMO.

If you are mainly interested in roller coasters, my recommendation would be Hersheypark. To me, this is the most solid collection of coasters in the entire Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Hersheypark is overall a very family-friendly and pleasant experience. There are also a lot of other things to do not only in town, but also on Hersheypark property itself (Chocolate World).

Echoing what everybody has already said. Hershey and Knoebels are absolute musts. Dorney I would consider optional, Kennywood is worth it as well if you're willing to drive half way across the state.

Be sure to check out Knoebels Wipeout. It's by far the most intense and crazy wipeout I've ridden.

I'm going to Pennsylvania myself in early June, already have my schedule down, 4 days at Hershey and 2 at Knoebels. I inquired with fellow TPR'ers about the other in area parks and came to the decision that this is how my family will do our first Pennsylvania trip. Although i am worried that after all the hype, 2 days may not be enough for Knoebels.

Yeah, just gonna come here and echo the other folks; Knoebels, for at least a full day! Flyers are a must; I lost my hat in a tree like 30 feet up on that ride (though it did eventually fall down and either an employee or guest put it on the white fence that encircles the ride). Another example of the great people there. Hershey shouldn't really need 4 days, I guess you could spend 4 days at any park if you *wanted* to, but even with a waterpark, I would grow a bit weary of that. We never spent more than 2, 2.5 days at any of Disney World's parks...

I'm going to Pennsylvania myself in early June, already have my schedule down, 4 days at Hershey and 2 at Knoebels. I inquired with fellow TPR'ers about the other in area parks and came to the decision that this is how my family will do our first Pennsylvania trip. Although i am worried that after all the hype, 2 days may not be enough for Knoebels.

be sure to do the 3 museums. .they are very interesting (Miner's museum/Park History are together next to Black Diamond), and the Carousel museum (near the shirt gift shop). The Bald Eagles are very interesting too!

That sounds like a great trip. If you want it to be extremely relaxed, that is probably the way to do it. However, I think 4 days at Hershey may end up being too much. It's a great park and there is a lot to do but I feel like 2 days is the usual, 3 is probably good for a family that wants to experience everything. In terms of rides only, I've done the entire park in 1 day, but wishing I had a second day. 4 days is fine and it is a great park to be at so I wouldn't complain being there for 4 days, but if you have small children, Dutch Wonderland is a great nearby option, or if they are interested in riding more coasters, Dorney isn't too far away and is a great 1 day park. It just depends on what you are looking for in a trip.

2 days at Knoebels should be plenty of time. That is enough time to enjoy everything and do your favorite things again. It is the kind of park you won't want to leave though!

Just some thoughts. Your trip sounds wonderful regardless!

be sure to do the 3 museums. .they are very interesting (Miner's museum/Park History are together next to Black Diamond), and the Carousel museum (near the shirt gift shop). The Bald Eagles are very interesting too!

Agreed, and the museums are free because Knoebels. Great for your second day or a passing shower / storm.

I live in Pittsburgh and would recommend Waldameer and Kennywood. Waldameer has a great charm and Ravine Flyer 2 can't be missed.

I would skip Idlewild and Conneaut Lake. Haven't been to Idlewild in a decade or more, there just isn't anything really there and half the stuff is closed on a weekday.