TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mitch Hawker 2013 Wood Coaster Poll Thread!

Am I the only one who finds Phoenix at Knoebels the most overrated coaster on the poll?

I generally agree with most of the placings, but following my US tour last August, I really didn't find it to be all that. Sure, it was comfortable and had some airtime but I just didn't quite get the hype...

Perhaps it's just me!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who finds Phoenix at Knoebels the most overrated coaster on the poll?

Well, I wouldn't say the "only one," but probably in the minority, based on the results of the poll. But it's all a matter of opinion.

Edited by cfc

I generally agree with most of the placings, but following my US tour last August, I really didn't find it to be all that. Sure, it was comfortable and had some airtime but I just didn't quite get the hype...

Perhaps it's just me!

If you only got "some" airtime that point of view is understandable. Most people experience a ton of airtime on Phoenix.

Phoenix was brilliant when I last rode it - I was a doubter until I experienced it. I've got it at #4, but my top 5 are so close they all could quite easily interchange (Outlaw, Toro, Balder, Phoenix, Dash).

A lot of people feel like Boulder Dash and Phoenix are close or put Boulder Dash ahead of it but I don't even think Boulder Dash belongs in the same conversation as Phoenix. Boulder Dash is a great ride but Phoenix is absolutely exceptional and much more re-rideable.

but my top 5 are so close they all could quite easily interchange (Outlaw, Toro, Balder, Phoenix, Dash).

This is a very good point. For most of us I think we would be quite content riding any of our top 5 or even 10 at any time and depending on time of the week, day, moon cycle, situations, etc. they could all be pretty interchangeable.

Is it just me, but I find it very funny that Hades 360 got bottom 10.

It's kind of sad really - the park spent all this money adding an inversion and it's still a terrible coaster.

Still don't get why The Grizzly gets such a bad rap. Sure it's boring, but not really rough. Personally I will rank a boring coaster above one that tries to realign my back, even if I wouldn't go back for re-rides on either.

I've heard people say Voyage has gotten crappy, is that true? If so, that's sad - it seems like a fun ride and it is not horribly far from me.

Voyage has gotten pretty rough, but it's not unbearably rough to the point of being torturous. Of all the rides I've clocked on it ranging from opening year to now, I would only consider maybe two or three of them to be "bad," and those were before Holiday World stepped it up with the heavy track work. The crazy awesome layout still shows itself in full form, airtime and all. The roughness hasn't diminished the overall experience completely. It's still a great ride, and always will be if Holiday World continues to invest in it (which they always do).

I've heard people say Voyage has gotten crappy, is that true? If so, that's sad - it seems like a fun ride and it is not horribly far from me.

Voyage has gotten pretty rough, but it's not unbearably rough to the point of being torturous. Of all the rides I've clocked on it ranging from opening year to now, I would only consider maybe two or three of them to be "bad," and those were before Holiday World stepped it up with the heavy track work. The crazy awesome layout still shows itself in full form, airtime and all. The roughness hasn't diminished the overall experience completely. It's still a great ride, and always will be if Holiday World continues to invest in it (which they always do).

I've ridden Voyage several times in 2006, 2007, and 2010, and I've never had a good ride on it. I found the ride to beat the crap out of me to the point where it left me with a headache on more than one visit.

I also never thought the ride had amazing airtime. A couple of pops here and there, maybe some floater, but nothing OMFG extreme.

I'll give it another try in August, but I'm not giving it high expectations.

--Robb "It's just simply not my kind of ride." Alvey

but my top 5 are so close they all could quite easily interchange (Outlaw, Toro, Balder, Phoenix, Dash).

This is a very good point. For most of us I think we would be quite content riding any of our top 5 or even 10 at any time and depending on time of the week, day, moon cycle, situations, etc. they could all be pretty interchangeable.

Great point, it would be interesting to see why people rate coasters the way they do. Once I've got my top tiers bracketed, the first thing I ask myself is: which coaster would I prefer to ride if I had to choose between the two? Then I think about specific reasons why I like a coaster over another. For me top five:

1. Outlaw Run: great first drop, equal to Toro IMO, excellent airtime executed with some very interesting elements, barrel roll was a great finish.

2. El Toro: insane first drop, 3 crazy airtime moments, at night the tamer sections were much better. Outlaw Run just ahead for more elements and original twists.

3. Balder: not as good a first drop as top two, 9 great airtime hills, no stapling. Ahead of Toro for a while until I rode Toro at night.

4. Phoenix: crazy airtime accentuated by the lack of restraints, very intense experience only slightly behind the top 3 - the airtime of the top 3 would be lethal with buzz bars.

5. Boulder Dash: terrain element amazing, especially at night, not quite as intense as the top 4 for airtime, but still great.

If I could only ride this five for the rest of my life I would not complain.

^Different people like different things. What can I say? It's what this hobby is all about.

I get that. But that doesn't change the fact that the ride is rough as hell. It's one thing if you like rough rides and I don't, that's a matter of opinion, but I hate it when people tell me "the rides not rough" when it CLEARLY beats the hell out of you.

You just happen to like that sort of thing...

I'm almost getting the vibe Yin goes around telling people how awful Hades is so no one will go on it, and when no one's looking he pulls a picture of the corkscrew out of his pocket and pets it while whispering "Soon you'll be all mine. I tell everyone else I love Outlaw Run, but you're the only one for me. It'll be just the two of us and we can eat all the cinnamon bread we want and ride over and over again and we'll be together forever."

Edited by LoneRider92

^Different people like different things. What can I say? It's what this hobby is all about.

I get that. But that doesn't change the fact that the ride is rough as hell. It's one thing if you like rough rides and I don't, that's a matter of opinion, but I hate it when people tell me "the rides not rough" when it CLEARLY beats the hell out of you.

You just happen to like that sort of thing...

Agreed...and as we age, the rougher coasters play more havoc with our bodies then say, if you are a teen or in your 20's.

My partner is 70 and that ride on Voyage did him in for the rest of the day as far as rides and coasters. He told the kid at the Voyage gift shop that he would prefer burning in hell over ever riding Voyage again. And this is from a guy that also rode Hades a couple of years ago...he didn't like that either, but he said Voyage seemed way rougher to him in comparison.

I'm almost getting the vibe Yin goes around telling people how awful Hades is so no one will go on it, and when no one's looking he pulls a picture of the corkscrew out of his pocket and pets it while whispering "Soon you'll be all mine. I tell everyone else I love Outlaw Run, but you're the only one for me. It'll be just the two of us and we can eat all the cinnamon bread we want and ride over and over again and we'll be together forever."

What?? How did you find out I love Hades360 THAT much? Now that you know, I would love to see you with the love of my life 100 times. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.

^Nice one Yin.

Scary thing is if I hadn't have ridden Hades last year, it would be in my top ten based on when I rode it in 2007 because I can only base my rating on my last time riding it.

My thoughts on Hades: dear Lord please make it stop, ouch...ouch...ouch...smooth part...please make it stop...ouch...ouch...ouch...damn, the sunglasses in my cargo shorts side pocket go smashed into pieces.