TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I hope they make a tasting card for West Coast Bash! That's actually a really neat (and delicious) concept...I really want to visit the park just for that!

That would be a lot of fun! The food choices sound really good.

Ghostrider was far and away my favorite coaster in this area, for a bit. Loved it those first few years.

I am mixed about the direction Knott's is heading. One one hand, preserving their uniqueness is great with the restoration of Calico, the peek-ins, etc. The push with more special events is great. One the other hand, I feel the recent additions to the attraction roster have been and continue to be just freakishly bland and devoid of creativity for a theme park. For a carnival sure, but for America's first theme park, not quite hitting the mark there. And poor Soak City, didn't know they were creating a water park musuem in 1999. Was the Pacific Spin the last major ride added?

So going forward, more creativity in bringing themed attractions to the Knott's and for them to remember Soak City exists, and then I would say they are on a good track.

So, you want the park to go back to its old days where they plopped down coasters throughout the park that you can find at many Cedar Fair parks?

Cedar Fair isn't a theme park operator, like Disney and Universal, so I'm not expecting any amazing uniqueness in their rides. I'd rather have additions like 2013 Boardwalk than rides like VertiGo, Silver Bullet, etc. that did not fit in the area at all.

Heck, what Cedar Fair did with the Log Ride is simply amazing. Right now, they are adding many family rides and they look nice and is a great aesthetic improvement over what the rides replaced. Remember, Knott's is spending much money on the Mine Ride and Log Ride, so I wouldn't expect a huge budget for family rides that are being built on the same year as these total revamps on these classic rides.

How about a LIM LAUNCHED tower ride like wicked (lagoon) small. And would keep with the launched theme at Knotts!!! (Make it launch number 4)
If they did that, they would go the Knoeble's direction and make it a vertical lift. Knott's has enough launch coasters that each appeal to a certain part of the family, thus a launched coaster for everyone in the family. Another launch coaster at this point might become redundent.

^ Or both. Vertical chain lift launch.

I think coasters with inversion already means not very family friendly. GP would never know that GateKeeper is as thrilling as Woodstock Express before they ride it. So I think a Mega-Lite type ride would be great. Knott's needs a steel coaster that provides a lot of airtime, thrilling enough while doesn't look that thrilling for family. I can imagine the look on face of the kids getting off an Intamin Mega-Lite

^This. For as much as I'd like to see Knotts bring the next big coaster to the park, at this point I'm just happy to see the direction they're going right now. When I worked there from 07' to 11', the place felt run down, empty, and devoid of anything nice to look at. With the renovations and improvements they have been doing, it shows me ( the now customer) that you are getting your money's worth, a better experience, and atmosphere.

I still don't see why everyone is praising the direction that Knott's is heading in. I mean sure the new attractions/refurbishments they are completing are better than they were in the mid-2000's, but whenever I visit the park it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth because all of the rides feel like Knott's just slapped down the rides and didn't pay any attention to the theme or detail at all. I mean look at the new boardwalk, it looks pretty lame because it looks like Knott's just slapped some wood over a pond and built a few flat rides. Overall Knott's will probably start to feel the pain when their attendance drops in the future with the new Harry Potter addition to USH.

Knotts doesnt really compete with USH or Disney. I think the improvements they're making will position the park to be in great shape by the time HP does open. They're beefingg up entertainment, improving old favorites. Coast rider was trimmed all to hell and boring, but I think the main audience that its geared towaeds probably doesnt mind.

Knott's is a locals park for the OC/IE area. They aren't trying to do anything except improve the experience for their target demographic, which they are doing a good job of IMO. Bringing back more themeing, overhauling the food menus, rehabbing their classic attractions, and adding more family rides....

Knott's is a locals park for the OC/IE area. They aren't trying to do anything except improve the experience for their target demographic, which they are doing a good job of IMO. Bringing back more themeing, overhauling the food menus, rehabbing their classic attractions, and adding more family rides....

Definitely agree with you there. I love what Knotts is doing. It's amazing what they have there for such a small footprint of a park. And I also like the fact that every three months or so the theming changes. Berry farm. Haunt. Merry farm

Gotta stop thinking of Knotts. I'm hungry for stuffed churos now

I'm really hoping the park will get an interactive dark ride in the near future after seeing all the work they are putting in the classic attractions. Plus with Wonder Mountain's Guardian going into Canada's Wonderland, I'm curious to see if any other Cedar Fair parks follow this direction and continue to add more.

I still don't see why everyone is praising the direction that Knott's is heading in. I mean sure the new attractions/refurbishments they are completing are better than they were in the mid-2000's, but whenever I visit the park it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth because all of the rides feel like Knott's just slapped down the rides and didn't pay any attention to the theme or detail at all. I mean look at the new boardwalk, it looks pretty lame because it looks like Knott's just slapped some wood over a pond and built a few flat rides. Overall Knott's will probably start to feel the pain when their attendance drops in the future with the new Harry Potter addition to USH.

I know most people on here won't agree with this, but I do. The only thing I disagree with is I think the new boardwalk looks nice (nicer than PP), BUT I 100% agree their attendance will fall flat in the next year or two if they don't add a new thrill ride. Look, Knott's has done a nice job revamping the Log ride and I'm sure the Mine Ride will be just as nice and they also did a great job with all the appearance aspects of the park. The problem I have is ALL THEY'RE DOING IS ADDING FAMILY ATTRACTIONS OR REDOING CURRENT RIDES. Don't get me wrong that isn't bad every so often, BUT it's been TEN YEARS since a thrill ride/coaster has been added. Let that sink in ten years is a LONG time (put in perspective you can go from a freshman in college to getting a PHD in less time) for a theme park to not add a single thrill ride/coaster. I honestly don't get why so many people LOVE what Knott's is doing YEAR AFTER YEAR and completely ignoring the thrill seekers they have forgotten about in the last decade. I seriously hope 2015 (which would be 11 years) they finally bite the bullet and add a thrill attraction. For anyone that's about to rip this apart would you honestly rather see Knott's add another family attraction (ride, coaster or dark ride), or would you be more excited to finally see a thrill ride/coaster, or for the smart ones that say both if they announced both what would you be more excited for?

People need to understand that Knott's is a family-oriented park, so they will obviously appease that crowd. Though, thrill rides will eventually come, it's not like CF forgot them.

Anyways, it's a bit arrogant to say that Knott's attendance will fall flat in a few years, honestly. The management knows how to run a park much better than you and me, so it's a bit ludicrous to believe these kinds of things. Especially when there's really no apparent evidence to back it up and the park still has a ton of attendance.

Edited by XYZ

I'd personally like to see a family attraction go into the KoD building before they build a large-scale thrill ride. And even then, I hope the ride is mostly outside of the park area. I think most can agree that the sea of supports that Silver Bullet created is not the most visually appealing thing on the planet.

Knott's has a family demographic. Why would adding family rides to please families make them lose attendance?

Families bring in more money than a single thrill seeker. If adding family rides generate more money, that is what they are going to do.

Fair enough and I know families bring more money, but how is it ok for a thrill park (unless they take down their thrill rides they're still a thrill park) to go a decade without adding one thrill ride? I'm not saying adding family rides is a bad thing but they couldn't add one single thrill ride in the last 10 years?

People need to understand that Knott's is a family-oriented park, so they will obviously appease that crowd. Though, thrill rides will eventually come, it's not like CF forgot them.

Anyways, it's a bit arrogant to say that Knott's attendance will fall flat in a few years, honestly. The management knows how to run a park much better than you and me, so it's a bit ludicrous to believe these kinds of things. Especially when there's really no apparent evidence to back it up and the park still has a ton of attendance.

I'll admit maybe making a bold statement like it will for sure was a little arrogant on my half, but I sincerely think if this is all they do and ignore the thrill seekers it will go down. Things have to change with any business/industry to attract current and new customers. If they added a thrill and still did the family thing they will continue getting their family clientele while adding the thrill seeker clientele.

Yeah....no

I'm not even sure what else to say. How dare KBF do what is in the best interests of their business and not build a 2 mile long hyper coaster that connects KBF to Soak City and back!