TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

That's been discussed quite a bit already as well.

I keep getting upset at the thought of them putting in a hyper or Giga, but I know it won't happen so I need to stop thinking about it.

I know this place is owned by Cedar Fair and their claim to fame is coasters, but I hope they realize that this place shouldn't necessarily compete with Magic Mountain. This place should be the cheaper alternative for families over Disneyland. Their most recent coaster additions are Pony Express and Sierra Sidewinder. While those aren't necessarily anything the coaster enthusiast community gets excited over, those type of coasters are the type this park should be getting.

Like it or not, Knotts caters to families and thrill seekers these days, and after adding two excellent family coasters, it's time for another big one. If correctly designed and placed, a thrill coaster won't necessarily destroy the park's atmosphere. Xcelerator and Ghostrider actually contribute to the atmosphere IMO. Silver Bullet however, well, to say building that big, ugly thing was a mistake would be a massive understatement. Can a giga be built without ruining part of the charm of KBF? Well, probably not. But hey, at this point I'm wouldn't mind ruining Knotts if it gets us some airtime. Even floater airtime.

Just as long as they don't hurt Calico Mine Train. I love that old thing so much.

Right, but then there aren't really any likely places this would go outside the park. The reason Pony Express's last turn is covered is because there are houses literally right across the street. Yes they do have space near the grass parking lot, but they still need to use that for parking a lot the time and plus there is an Elementary school right there. A coaster of that caliber would have to go on the Beach Blvd side of the park, and where is it going to go over there? Nowhere.

I love how people get so worked up over rumors. Watch them get a Mack Splash battle and everyone crying about a Giga ruining the park will have shed those tears for nothing. Why don't we just let the theme parks run their parks how they think is best and just enjoy what we get. If you think a ride ruins the park, go look at a picture of the park before it was there. Or go to a different park.

Yah I mean I guess for the coaster to get to the parking lot near the hotel and big foot rapids as well as the warehouses the coaster would have to have a tunnel going from somewhere near the KOD building, under pony and rapids, and then up and to the left away from the houses and towards Ghostrider and the rest of the parking lot.

^ I agree with you but it's fun to speculate and try and think about how things could work out. I mean it's fun to think that coaster designers have to do the same thing, but there dreams can become reality.

Right, but then there aren't really any likely places this would go outside the park. The reason Pony Express's last turn is covered is because there are houses literally right across the street. Yes they do have space near the grass parking lot, but they still need to use that for parking a lot the time and plus there is an Elementary school right there. A coaster of that caliber would have to go on the Beach Blvd side of the park, and where is it going to go over there? Nowhere.

That Elementary school (Walter Knott, I think) has been shut down for around 2 years now, just an FYI.

I don't think space is a HUGE concern, they can make it happen if they wanted to. That being said, I would love to see a 300+ foot coaster at Knotts, but I wouldn't be that disappointed if they didn't get one.

To be honest I don't really see how perilous plunge's space will really help with room for a giga. Maybe station space but that's it. If they do decide to build a giga this will have to be one of the most interesting coaster constructions of all time, I mean they literally have no space for a ride structure the size of levitan. Here's hoping they build it!!!!!!!

I'm really rooting for Knott's to get something major. I'd even be happy with a non-giga addition. I just think te park deserves a major capital investment.

To be honest, though, I wasn't a huge fan of Leviathan. While enjoyable, the ride experience reminded me of driving on the freeway. I'm exaggerating of course, but the ride experience wasn't as exciting for me as I had hoped.

Edited by TopThrill182

I'd rather see Knott's get something unique than some cookie cutter giga. I think the new management realizes Knott's doesn't have to be CP West.

I agree with this completely. Knott's works best as a complement to a Disney vacation, and it is unique among the Cedar Fair parks.

Well the only thing that really scares me is how SB turned out. Sure its a fun ride that is enjoyable, but look at what it did to the park. I really think that at some point the park should consider repainting SB with something less vibrant like some silver and gray colors so that it looks at least a bit better. I really don't want the boardwalk area and the roaring 20's area ruined because of some massive coaster that dosen't look like it belongs.

No there isn't, there's ways to add world class rides without loosing atmosphere but no way of adding very large rides without loosing atmosphere. A good example of this would be Maverick which could easily and comprehensively be incorporated into the whole ghost town area (with the feel of the ride not the space required) since it's not very tall and isn't highly visible while seeing a huge 300 foot tall steel lift hill while in a supposed ghost town just ruins the feel.

Edited by bottom_feeder_13

Remember that "E Ticket" need not necessarily mean "big coaster." Something along the lines of BGW's Verbolten, with an appropriate theme, of course, would qualify.

I agree. And to me Verbolten was a big additions. When I said big earlier I intentionally did the quotes on it to indicate that to me a big coaster isn't literally a huge ride, it's just a major attraction. Big Thunder and Space Mountain are relatively small coasters, but because of what they are, they are big to me.

Make sense?

The last coaster Knott's got trying to provide a rarely seen style of ride while appealing to families was Pony Express, and look how that turned out. PAAASSSSS!

I'm not quite sure which giga has been built which is cookie cutter? In fact, none of them are.

A giga at Knotts would be unique to the park, the West Coast, and would inevitably have its own layout based on the design and space limitations of the park. And nothing about that means the management is trying to turn the park into CP West.

SB was pretty much the icing on the cake for me in terms of destroying what little charm the park still had. Massive supports plopped in Ghost Town, Reflection Lake turning into Reflection concrete pond. Considering whatever is going on will most likely be in PP's spot, there's really not a lot of charm or themeing on The Boardwalk that will be destroyed by installing a big attraction.