TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Unique Coaster Elements

Most coasters out there, whether custom or off the shelf cookie cutter, include fairly standard elements which are the same or extremely similar regardless of the manufacturer or style of coaster: immelmans, barrel rolls, corkscrews, helices-of-death, etc. So the question for this off-season topic is: What are those rare elements that cannot be experienced anywhere but on one or maybe just a couple of rides on the planet? Keep in mind that the element can be inverting or non-inverting, named or unnamed, awesome or awful, steel or wooden, permanent or portable, currently operating or defunct. Not looking for coaster styles here, (inverted, zacspin, aquatrax, etc.).

Please provide coaster name and location, element name and/or description, if you have ridden it - whether it is enjoyable or not, and if possible, a picture of said element (with proper credit if it is not yours).

My 2 cents to get the ball rolling: One that immediately comes to mind is the 110 foot tall "spiral loop" on the Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood. The first of 3 inversions on this surprisingly smooth Arrow coaster, this element is a tweak of the standard clothoid loop featuring a little bit of twisting on the vertical entrance and exit of the loop. The twisting effect is subtle, but noticeable enough to make you wonder what just happened and I thought it was fun and added to the experience of the ride. To my knowledge, this element can only be experienced on the Tennessee Tornado, but if I'm wrong, definitely let me know! Thanks in advance for your responses!

Here is a picture from RCDB shot by Eric Sakowski:

PS: I did a search prior to posting this topic, but I apologize if there is a similar topic out there.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydra's inclined dive loops is the only one around and the JoJo roll is somewhat unique. I think it's one of the only coasters with an inversion right out of the station (I know there is an Supersonic Odyssey with a heartline roll before the lift hill but not right out of the station).

The double helix (called Ampersand turn) on Shambhala:

The banking and the couple hand-chopper are what make this element. It doesn't have many forces but it's certainly disorienting...

Here's the Bent Cuban Eight on Drayton Manor's G-Force. The element and coaster are absolutely dreadful. Maurer Sohne did replicate the element in 2012 for a coaster in Iraq. Probably as a torture device.

1511757857_draytonmanor_0251.jpg.11cac4162710a7e95f4f6494a2c3a3c0.jpg

from TPR's Park Index

Hydra's inclined dive loops is the only one around and the JoJo roll is somewhat unique. I think it's one of the only coasters with an inversion right out of the station (I know there is an Supersonic Odyssey with a heartline roll before the lift hill but not right out of the station).

GateKeeper will have one soon.

Here's the Bent Cuban Eight on Drayton Manor's G-Force. The element and coaster are absolutely dreadful. Maurer Sohne did replicate the element in 2012 for a coaster in Iraq. Probably as a torture device.

I'm curious about the G force element, larrygator - what makes it so horrible? It looks like it would be fairly innocuous. Does the extended inversion part cause a bit of pain due to restraints, or is is something else?

^Re: G-Force: Those restraints act like a boa constrictor during the ride.

The unique Bowtie element on Dragon Mountain at Marineland

375831810_niagara023_1561.jpg.0cf00e51ea636c1f0e3b3eda3c1ccb5d.jpg

Taken by Derek Ruth and found in TPR's Park Index

Edited by larrygator

Outlaw Run (Silver Dollar City) is another coaster filled with many unique elements:

The 1st photo is from Roller Coaster Database, the 2nd photo is from Coaster Radio, and the 3rd photo is from News Plus Notes.

Yea, the double barrel roll isn't unique as an element, but it's unique for a wooden coaster.

Superman Ultimate Flight's non-inverting loop is also pretty unique as non-inverting loops don't seem to be too common (yet).

1293287591_IMG_9795(683x1024).thumb.jpg.0569f2b2c5a0d0a4274b449fbe25facc.jpg

Some others: I'm not sure what you'd call the SDC Windstorm/Hurricane (SCBB) hairpin dive but that was pretty awkward...and Zonga/Thriller's loop-screw...felt very impossible.

IMG_6245.jpg.2814d47ebbe4244aad9fe95f3e0620de.jpg

^Your avatar inspired me to post this...Drachen Fire had 2 notable elements:

The 'cutback' inversion is what I think it was called

The 'weird looping first drop element thing' is definitely not what it was called, but it's still very strange: