TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Funniest Ride and Coaster Names

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingda Ka seems like a pretty cool name, that is until you look up the translation!! Kingda Ka is Swahili for either “lose your lunch” or “omigod, what a ride“!!

who'da thunk it?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/20/earlyshow/leisure/main696741.shtml

The name, says Axelrod, "roughly translates into 'lose your lunch' in Swahili.

The ACTUAL translation of Kingda Ka (at least in the language of journalistic sensationalism) is this: I'm absolutely terrified of roller coasters but I'm a reporter and CBS News is paying me to ride so I'll come up with some stupid translation of my own that sounds witty because I have this need to hide my own fears lest my CBS News viewers and bosses think less of me because if I show my fears my credibility is ruined and my viewers will find another newscast to watch.

And according to THIS article: http://www.qcknightnews.com/media/storage/paper564/news/2004/11/23/News/Golden.Kingdom.To.Beat.Out.Magic.Kingdom-814595.shtml?norewrite200604100215&sourcedomain=www.qcknightnews.com, the actual translation is an original name created by the Six Flags Great Adventure concept production team. Essentially, the name means "king of coasters."

Flame on as necessary.

• 5 years later...

Thought It would be funny to create this topic after seeing what they named a new Pro-slide Tantrum in Germany.

2012_ERDING_SLIDES.jpg.b041b672ab20f7cded38dc532ef70dd1.jpg

See if u can find the hilarious name,

give up? scroll down a little bit,

ttwister.thumb.jpg.3a37ec1b6647b7cdbb958efbf381c955.jpg

Really?

So I'm guessing that word doesn't mean the same thing in Germany as it does in america, which is still pretty funny.

That made me think, does anyone else on TPR know of a ride that makes you laugh? Should be fun to see what other people can think of,

I've seen water slides with the name "Mega Wedgie" as it's name...I would think the last thing a park wants to advertise is the massive wedgies their slides offer. About the twister, I couldn't help but laugh at it.

Other funny names we've heard: Dog Fart coaster (themed to a dog farting and dog turds), pretty much any Cedar Fair ride name substituting a previous ride name such as Flight Deck, Drop Tower, Possessed (formerly known as Voodoo).

Yeah Mega Wedgie is an odd name also, and the dog fart coaster kinda makes me sick when i seen the pictures on trip reports. In all seriousness tho, what would make park officials make these strategic moves? To be humorous or just no common sense?

^^^Who cares what that slide is called, that slide tower looks wicked awesome!

I do agree the slides do look awesome, and more parks should add more ride towers like this,

Another name i thought could have used more creativity is this,

monsters-inc-laugh-floor.jpg.faa430562c98b63076bb41f5a12d286e.jpg

MILF? Really? Come on Disney.

Some call it the Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor, Or as an Acronym M.I.F.L , which also stands for .. well you should know.

Kind of surprised me that Disney didn't catch onto this, or actually maybe they were onto it the whole time? you decide.

^^^Who cares what that slide is called, that slide tower looks wicked awesome!

I do agree the slides do look awesome, and more parks should add more ride towers like this,

Another name i thought could have used more creativity is this,

[attachment=0]monsters-inc-laugh-floor.jpg[/attachment]

Some call it the Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor, Or as an Acronym M.I.F.L , which also stands for .. well you should know.

Kind of surprised me that Disney didn't catch onto this, or actually maybe they were onto it the whole time? you decide.

The oddest part about M.I.L.F is that it wasn't the original title of the ride.

The working name of the show during production was the 'Laugh Floor Comedy Club'; prior to soft openings it was renamed 'Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club'. Promotional materials and a logo were also created using this name. On March 19, the official name of the attraction was changed from this to the current name.

How that new name got approved.....I have no clue