TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are roller coaster grayouts/blackouts dangerous?

On a recent trip to Kings Dominion, I experienced my first "grayout" on a roller coaster. After riding Grizzly, Rebel Yell, Ricochet (twice), Hurler, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Dominator, Avalanche, Volcano: The Blast Coaster, Flight of Fear, and Anaconda, I made my way to Dominator's station once again for my final ride of the day. Although I had taken some breaks throughout the day to ride the Blue Ridge Tollway and the White Water Canyon and I had even caught the Rock 'n' Roll show, I was quite tired at this point. Even so, I wasn't concerned that my Dominator re-ride would be too intense for me to handle. However, sometime during the vertical loop after the first drop, I experienced a momentary grayout in which I saw black spots. Fortunately, this sensation did not return later in the ride.

I attribute this grayout to exhaustion from the other coasters I had ridden before my second go on Dominator, particularly Anaconda, which had hurt my back on one of the turns after the MCBR. All the same, the grayout still spooked me, and it was difficult to enjoy the rest of Dominator because I was worried that I would grayout again, or even pass out.

I have been on coasters that are both faster and taller than Dominator before--Storm Runner, at 75mph and 180ft, comes to mind. I would assume that the whopping 135ft vertical loop on Dominator--one of the tallest vertical loops in the world--contributed to the grayout rather than its speed or drop height, though.

Despite the grayout, I would definitely go on Dominator again, though I would try to ride it at the beginning of the day so as to avoid an exhaustion-induced grayout. This is only a minor problem for me. A more significant dilemma of mine is my fear of Intimidator 305. I have heard from a number of friends that they experienced grayouts/blackouts on i305. Seeing as the drop height of i305 is about 150ft taller than that of Dominator and its top speed is 25mph greater than that of Dominator, I am wary of riding the gigacoaster. My thinking is that, if I grayed out on Dominator, I could very well pass out on i305.

As a side note, I find helices very intense, even on tamer coasters like the Backlot Stunt Coaster. However, I have not experienced a grayout on a helix before.

Given this information, do you think what I experienced on Dominator was unhealthy? Furthermore, is my concern about riding i305 rational? Where do I go from here? I would like to try out i305, but I'm concerned that it might jeopardize my health based on my experience on Dominator.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's caused my the vertical force removing blood from your eyes and brain (less oxygen-so it cuts vision) and it's pushing it down into your hands, lap, legs, feet, etc. Given this, I don't believe it's any concern, in fact I'd put that down as a plus! I personally think your fears are your fears, but I305 isn't dangerous, in fact, they modified the first turn to reduce greyouts and increase ridership. I think you'd love it if you rode it, but that's just my standpoint (and I haven't even ridden it, but I want to).

Now, there's a possibility that it may be health related, and if so talk to your doctor. I seriously doubt that it's anything close to serious-

Edited by mightbeawannabe

I'll try to help shed some light as to why grayouts happen, and hopefully allay some of your fears.

Basically, when your body experiences high levels of G Force, your brain will begin to lose Oxygen. In order to keep oxygen for more important body functions, your brain will cut off your vision (causing a gray out or black out). Graying our is actually a good thing, because it keeps your most important functions running at the expense of a much less important function (vision).

It isn't dangerous, but is very easy to avoid. Here are some tips:

-Make sure you have adequate sleep.

-Don't ride coasters if you are sick.

-STAY HYDRATED!!!

I would return to the park, making sure you are in good health and have had a good night's sleep. You should stay hydrated for 24 hours before you go to the park, and STAY HYDRATED while you are there. Do this, and you shouldn't have many problems, and ride I-305. You will probably gray out, but remember, graying out isn't dangerous.

Good Luck (and have fun)!!!

-STAY HYDRATED!!!

This! Definitely key in reducing the effect.

The only instance I'd be careful with is if someone has some previous condition, like heart disease. My dad does and I am cautious on what he rides and how frequent. His heart is circulating blood at a diminished capacity as it is, let alone having the blood forced out of it due to forces. I have also taught him how to effectively utilize the 'tighten stomach' technique to help minimize the amount of blood rushing away from his head and chest when we're on more forceful rides.

greyouts aren't dangerous. you get the same effect if you stand up too fast. on i305, you experience about 5 seconds of greyout through the first turn, before the airtime on the second hill sends the blood back to where it's supposed to be. for comparison, if you greyout due to standing up too fast, it probably takes a little longer than that to fully recover. it's really not a health risk at all. relax and enjoy one of the most intense rides operating today!

My only grayout so far was in Goliath at SFMM in the final 720 degree (?) bayerncurve. I found it quite cool - and avioded it on the following rides by taking 2-3 deep breaths before entering the curve...

Overall "right" breathing is something you learn when doing rides often - inhale when you've airtime or low Gs plus taking deep breaths if the coaster has breaking segments and exhale when you've high Gs, that way you keep your blood with the correct oxygen levels

Just curious - did the retracking on i305 make any difference at all in the blacking/greying out or has KD pretty much given up on trying to alleviate the number of people that black out?

Yes, on paper at least - the entire first curve is now an upward helix, reducing the speed at which the train enters the second hill. Also, the radius of the pull-up into the second hill has been increased.

Just curious - did the retracking on i305 make any difference at all in the blacking/greying out or has KD pretty much given up on trying to alleviate the number of people that black out?

I rode "Timi" last season with out any gray outs. I love the rework of the ride this season , and have ridden it at least 25 times, all with partial gray outs. It doesn't bother me. I take it as part of the ride experience. It's weird I've never grayed out on Goliath at Magic Mountain and I've ridden it hundreds of times.

I would guess so, because you wouldn't be tired as you would have just woken up and you'd probably be hydrated from breakfast. I remember blacking out on the helix on Nitro after like 20 other coaster rides, but then I had some lunch with a drink and I was fine on the next ride. Good luck!

Oh definitely-- Everyone's responses have been spot on. I can only reiterate at this point:

Stay hydrated

Eat something healthy that will give you a lot of energy and continue to eat during the day. I like to pack my own lunch; I can make it more nutritional than what most parks offer

Get a lot of sleep the night before.

Personally, I've noticed that as the day goes on your resistance to high g-forces weakens a little (if you've been riding all day long), but not too much. I guess it is dependent on the person, but try going for the more intense rides at the beginning of the day. Also, I don't know if there is a direct correlation, but I noticed I grayed-out less back in high school. I ran on my school's track team, so my cardiovascular system was in tip-top shape. Again, I don't know if this is true, but I'm inclined to think that having a strong cardiovascular system helps your body maintain adequate blood flow even when exposed to moderately high postive g's.

And yeah, FORCE yourself to go on I305, you won't be disappointed!

I guess I may stand out in this thread for not having issues with blackouts/greyouts on coasters- and I tend to lean towards the more G-extreme coasters in my 'favorites' bucket (Thus the long and illustrious list of His great works- Anton's rides figure into most of my top 50.)

Every person will feel Gs differently; some are more G friendly than others- I have seen people blackout on something simple like ShockWave at SFOT or Mindbender at SFOG, but not on something like Thriller/Taz/Zonga/whateveritscalledinMexico. Your body is the only thing that determines your ability to handle PosG goodness.

As was mentoned before: There are things one should always remember about this: Hydrate, Rest and breathe, and you'll be fine.

(Mind you, the only time I've ever greyed' out on a ride was on WEM's Mindbender- and that was after ride #19 without a hreak.)

I've only greyed out once before on a roller coaster. It happened on Nitro last year during the final turn element. I quickly realized though that it was because I had only slept for 3 hours the night before, didn't eat breakfast, and was not drinking enough water at the park. My body was physically exhausted and could not handle the G-Forces. Lesson learned!

When I went to KD a few weeks ago, I rode Timi first and greyed out on my first ever ride. My 3 friends who went last year said the greyout is much less intense as it was last year but they actually prefer the modified, rising turn into the camelback. Grey/Blackouts don't bother me, I know my vision will return immediatelty, and I'm sure this is not dangerous. The only other coaster that ever made me blackout was Tatsu, during the pretzel loop and I think it was even more of a blackout than i305.

My friend John told me he tightens the muscles in his legs at the bottom of the drop and he hasn't greyed out since he's been doing this. I have personally not tried this as I think greying out is part of what makes this ride inrecibly intense and fun. Definitely don't miss out next time you're at KD, and if you're there, look for Dale, he's an awesome, funny ride up at i305, every op should be like him!

2079699729_DaleI305.JPG.e06f4153379c1c51d9fc500ec59b0f14.JPG

Dale kept the crowds happy on the 4th of July with his sense of humor.

^ Yeah, that's a similar technique to what military pilots do. Gotta figure out a way to stay conscious during those 9G turns, haha. I like greying out to a certain degree too, as long as it's not sustained. I305's first turn is great for that reason: insanely intense, but it doesn't last for too long. And tightening your leg muscles sounds like a much better idea than tightening your abdomen, which can give you a headache if you do it to hard.

blackouts are only dangerous if you didn't remember to change the batteries in your flashlight.

Totally right there.

I have greyed out before, a lot actually. The last time I greyed out was on SuperDooperLooper when we hit the bottom of the loop going into it. At the top, I was seeing some stars, but that's the fun of it! I always grey out on the first overback on Millennium Force, but that's where everyone grey's out. I think I greyed out on Mantis, but that's probably because I don't like stand-ups and it was my first B&M stand-up (with no trims that day!)

The first time I rode Expedition Everest I lost my vision completely in the outdoor helix before the Yeti's last appearance. After I rode it more and more I got used to it and didn't suffer as much. I think it had more to do with the roughness of the ride, because the Gs didn't feel too intense (3.5-ish?).

I am a walking stick though. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

My only grayouts has been on Tennessee Tornado during the Iron Butterfly element.

One thing I have more problems with than grayouts (which has been mentioned before on the forums) is having severe pain in my feet on B&M inverts. I guess it is the blood rushing to my feet that is causing the pain. I have also experienced this on the B&M Hyper helices. I have found that crossing my feet and arching my toes up helps with the pain.

My only grayouts has been on Tennessee Tornado during the Iron Butterfly element.

One thing I have more problems with than grayouts (which has been mentioned before on the forums) is having severe pain in my feet on B&M inverts. I guess it is the blood rushing to my feet that is causing the pain. I have also experienced this on the B&M Hyper helices. I have found that crossing my feet and arching my toes up helps with the pain.

While I didn't have pain in my feet on Dominator, I noticed tingling in my feet at times. It was kind of cool, actually, haha. I love the set-up of floorless coasters.

Goliath at SFMM is very notorious for grey-outs, not only due to the intensity, but also due to the fact that it is built at a park in the middle of the desert. When it becomes hot, and you become very dehydrated, watch out. It can be fun to play "who can grey-out the most" in the helix.

I have heard multiple accounts of grey-outs on GCA's Flight Deck. However, I rode five times in one day, and it did not happen to me once. I guess what I need now is a whole thirty minutes devoted to it.