TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's EPIC Oktoberfest Trip Report!

robbalvey

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget, did any of us actually end up doing the funky semi-themed rapids ride at the bottom of the hill at Bayern?

You could tell the owner with the PAX was there to drum up some good PR for the park - and it certainly worked. It was a great jewel of a park with tons of un-PC themes, a slide o' death and quite possibly the most insane "kiddie" coaster on Earth...not to mention the INSANE walk through attraction. (Dracula)

I was betting maybe an hour and half at the park max - turns out we stayed longer, and it was worth it!

Wild Train looks insane!!!

That was the best collection of trip reports ever. There was so much funny and unique stuff in every update... I kept looking forward to each new post. Thanks for taking the time to put all those together!

By the way, was anyone able to confirm if Olympia Looping will continue touring much longer or not?

I forget, did any of us actually end up doing the funky semi-themed rapids ride at the bottom of the hill at Bayern?

You could tell the owner with the PAX was there to drum up some good PR for the park - and it certainly worked. It was a great jewel of a park with tons of un-PC themes, a slide o' death and quite possibly the most insane "kiddie" coaster on Earth...not to mention the INSANE walk through attraction. (Dracula)

I was betting maybe an hour and half at the park max - turns out we stayed longer, and it was worth it!

When I visited Strasswalchen over the summer Erich Wagner was doing the guided tours at Schloss Dracula for the regular folks. I talked to him quite a bit, he is very visible in the park. I didn't even realize he was co-owner of the park until I saw dozens of pictures of him hanging on the wall when I was eating lunch in the restaurant.

Edited by larrygator

There's always "something" within a TPR Tour that just makes it so special and one-of-a-kind for that particular tour....

This nutso coaster certainly fits the bill for making your Oktoberfest Tour "Extra Special", lol.

As said above, looks and runs insane from the video.

Would work great in our park here.

I vote it to replace that *(&%# corkscrew we're (still) stuck with.

Glad you guys having (had) such an awesome time there.

I like the comments on You Tube of the slides where they said to watch "the fat guy"

KidTums is growing up to be such a cutie, so adorable, and loved watching her enjoy the trip... especially waking up from a nap to ride the butterfly coasters without even a thought of complaining!

Another fantastic TPR trip in the books!

Peace, Big Mike

Another awesome update Robb! I really enjoyed both of these parks a lot and would love to visit them again - for smaller parks, they sure had a lot to offer. A crazy PAX coaster, an excellent Dracula's castle, butterflies, alpine slides, anti-PC rides, nice theming... it all made for a truly wonderful day (capped off by yet another fun night at Oktoberfest!)

The slide video doesn't capture just how hard I actually kicked Jon when we hit the wall. In a fraction of a second I managed to maneuver my legs to the side enough that I missed his head, but I still nailed him so hard that for a brief moment I was afraid I'd done some real damage. In this race, the winner is the loser - meaning the first one down gets absolutely pummeled by everyone else. Fun!

That was a deadly amazing park. One of the bunny hops on Wild Train completely felt like a "punch you in the gut" top hat. It's hard to believe it was under 1000' long.

My first time on the slide something must have gone wrong, but the second time I pushed off and was flying. Awesome.

It's amazing how tightening transitions and elements can really save on track length!

Couple that with all adult sized riders and you've got a recipe for insanity.

So, is it still the, "greatest kiddie coaster" on the planet?

I seem to remember us looking at them waxing the slide before the park opened and thinking - "Meh, no big whoop."

Boy were we wrong!

Bayern Park was an interesting one, too - VERY spread out (The one alpine slide behind the shrubs and the lake). I agree we were spoiled with the first one at the castle. (Piers could have NEVER fallen out of alpine slides at Bayern)

By the way, was anyone able to confirm if Olympia Looping will continue touring much longer or not?

In the last issue of the "Kirmes & Park Revue" a german magazine about fairs and theme parks there was an interview with Rudolf Barth the owner of the Olympia Looping in which he says that the OL will continue touring the german fairs and that rumors about it being sold are complete nonsense.

Right now it is being set up in Bremen for the Freimarkt (October, 15th to 31st). After that it will be in Hamburg from November, 5th to December, 5th. It's first fair next year will probably be in Hamburg again(around April).

By the way, absolutely great update.

In the last issue of the "Kirmes & Park Revue" a german magazine about fairs and theme parks there was an interview with Rudolf Barth the owner of the Olympia Looping in which he says that the OL will continue touring the german fairs and that rumors about it being sold are complete nonsense.

Right now it is being set up in Bremen for the Freimarkt (October, 15th to 31st). After that it will be in Hamburg from November, 5th to December, 5th. It's first fair next year will probably be in Hamburg again(around April).

By the way, absolutely great update.

That is awesome news! Who started that rumor, anyways?

I would also, at this moment, just like to mention that I live in Hamburg. HAHAHAHA!

And back to topic: I'm so sorry that I didn't get to hang out at Bayern Park, too! That mini-coaster looks insane. From the size and lazout, don't you think a coaster like that would make a great indoor coaster, too? Like a mini-space mountain, except way more thrilling

Thank you very much for the response. It's a dream of mine to ride Olympia Looping at Oktoberfest in Munich, but I probably won't be able to get there for 2-3 more years... so I'm just hoping it stays around that long (if not forever). Your post is encouraging, and I have my fingers crossed that it will turn out to be correct!

The slide video doesn't capture just how hard I actually kicked Jon when we hit the wall. In a fraction of a second I managed to maneuver my legs to the side enough that I missed his head, but I still nailed him so hard that for a brief moment I was afraid I'd done some real damage.

Yupp, it hurt quite a bit but not nearly as bad as the serious friction burn i got on my wrist that took off so much skin i was bleeding. eek.

Great little park!

Shane and I rode the rapids, they weren't that great. Don't worry if you missed them.

And as far as Olympia Looping someone asked one of the seemingly dozens of ride ops and he said that they WILL be back next year. I loved the ride, it has aged so well and they run it amazingly. My nighttime rides in the rain were astoundingly good!

I haven't said it enough, THankyou for continually putting on amazing trips!

It took us 20 minutes to remove Kevin from Big Mike's body.

--Robb

And I didn't want to leave....

The Park!, The Park!, I meant the Park!

Hmmm.

Truly a fun park experience, made even more special by such an outgoing owner. He went out of the way to serve us free soda, coffe and hot chocolate. How awesome is that? The park even had its own theme song, you could hear "Erlebnispark Strasswalchen" sung over and over to some tune, almost enough to get it stuck in your head. (Unlike say, Belantis, which piped in "It's a Small World," -quite a stretch there to try to conjure up a feeling of Disneyland.) When I saw some of the guys go ahead of me on the slide, I could not believe what I had gotten myself into. It looked unreal. Crazy airtime on the kind of kid's slide you see at the local ghetto fair, unexpected to say the least. Seriously, So Fun! The Slide of Death and Crazy Train rule. Erlebnispark definitely has the imprint of the owner, thankfully.

Edited by redmenace8

^ When I first saw the POV, I almost jumped out of my skin when I realised KT was riding!

Same here! When the cam went flying around, I panicked until I saw she was OK. She's such a trouper!

Think they'd let me zip down the Alpine Slide in my wheelchair? BANZAI!!!!

Thanks for an awesome trip report, as always.