TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Sounds like the park is removing Extreme: http://www.screamscape.com/html/grona_lund.htm

2013 - New Ride - (9/19/12) Gronalund has announced that they are removing Extreme, the park’s Mondial Top Scan ride, and will replace it with something ‘big’ in that spot for 2013, as part of the celebration of Gronalund’s 130th Anniversary. Your last day to ride Extreme is September 23.

Photo taken by cfc, from TPR's gallery

Based on the park's knack for maximizing their use of minimal space, I can't wait to see what develops from this.

Has anyone heard anything about the giant star flyer they had planned as part of an expansion a few years go? I haven't heard anything of the expansion in a long time, so if it was cancelled, Grona Lund might have decided to add some of the proposed rides elsewhere in the park. Whatever it ends up being, given that it is at Grona Lund, it will probably be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend working at Gröna Lund has confirmed the Starflyer.

Extreme has been removed, and so has the fast food place that was between Extreme and Kvasten.

I was wondering how they would fit in the Starflyer, but with the fast food place gone, I get the picture.

A friend working at Gröna Lund has confirmed the Starflyer.

Extreme has been removed, and so has the fast food place that was between Extreme and Kvasten.

I was wondering how they would fit in the Starflyer, but with the fast food place gone, I get the picture.

Actually, i don't really see the point with this one. Like mixing Fritt Fall (drop tower) with Kättingflygaren (wave swinger). The fans of Extreme will not see a Starflyer as a satisfactory replacement. Me myself had hoped for a Maurer Söhne Sky Wheel but i realize there's a limit even to Gröna Lund when it comes to squeeze in coasters

Any more news about the parking lot? I would love to see that inverted B&M there...

It's quite a gamble as when I was there this summer Extreme always had "extreme" lines up to 60 minutes while most coasters topped at 20-30 minute wait time - so it was a very popular ride. I for one skipped it due to the long line as I can easily access a Top Scan without wait at a local german carnival.

A Starflyer in exchange for a Top Scan? That leaves an opening for a scrambler/inverting flat ride. While Extreme wasn't the best flat ride I've ridden, it still belonged in Gröna Lund and completed the ride list. And another tower ride? I thought having the S&S Shot and Fritt Fall was already pushing it. I only hope the Starflyer isn't higher than Fritt Fall, that would totally diminish it. Let's just hope Gröna Lund will add another inverting flat, like Fabbri Pegasus.

Any more news about the parking lot? I would love to see that inverted B&M there...

Cancelled. They are now working on an indoor year round attraction for the parking lot.

I only hope the Starflyer isn't higher than Fritt Fall, that would totally diminish it.

The Star Flyer will be higher than the other two towers, if they keep it like the one proposed a few years ago.

It's quite a gamble as when I was there this summer Extreme always had "extreme" lines up to 60 minutes while most coasters topped at 20-30 minute wait time - so it was a very popular ride.

We need to remember that it's a 15 year old ride. In a park like Gröna Lund, something has to go to get something new.

It's time had just come.

Cancelled. They are now working on an indoor year round attraction for the parking lot.

Now i recall that i've read something about that earlier, guess i must have been repressing the fact due to the shock It's the **** complaining neighbours, right?

It's quite a gamble as when I was there this summer Extreme always had "extreme" lines up to 60 minutes while most coasters topped at 20-30 minute wait time - so it was a very popular ride.

We need to remember that it's a 15 year old ride. In a park like Gröna Lund, something has to go to get something new.

It's time had just come.

I didn't know they were getting rid of it! I love top scans and the one at Gröna Lund looked like it had a decent cycle and was popular!

I was sad to hear that they're removing that ride as well. It would have been cool if they could have re-located it to another part of the park. The one at Grona Lund had the best cycle out of all the ones that I've been on. One issue is that they are pretty slow to load/ unload. I'm sure whatever they replace it with will be fantastic though.

Why not relocate Extreme to Skara Sommarland or Furuvik? They're all Parks & Resorts. Or is it just scrap after 15 years in service?

That's a pretty cool idea, Skara Sommarland could certainly use a real thrill ride, and it wouldn't be too expensive for them as well, since it's already in the chain. (Skara has been showing red numbers the last few years).

I wouldn't necessary say that, they do get a lot of teenagers in the park.

Plus they could always reprogram it to be a bit less thrilling.

I remember when the old "hot dog" ride they had back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Here it is now, without the hot dog theming.

This was a very loved ride in Skara, that was very popular both by the older kids and teenagers, but also by the parent's who challenged each other to go on it.

The ride is missed a lot today and they never really replaced it with another thrilling ride, so there could absolutely be a market for Extreme there.

Are you saying the park is no longer targeted to families with younger kids? That is the primary target audience of the park and why I feel it is inappropriate.

I agree it would serve the teenagers and I guess if there is minimal cost involved it could be moved, but I still don't think it fits.

^I agree, i've spotted a lot of teenagers at Skara Sommarland when i've been there. Remember that the waterslide section is integrated with the rest of the park and lot of the slides are NOT for children, that's for sure. My impression is that the teenagers tend to both have some fun at the waterslide section and then finish up their visit with some of the rides. Extreme could very well fit in.

Are you saying the park is no longer targeted to families with younger kids? That is the primary target audience of the park and why I feel it is inappropriate.

I agree it would serve the teenagers and I guess if there is minimal cost involved it could be moved, but I still don't think it fits.

You are correct that the park are for families, but there are also a lot of teenagers going with their families.

Also remember that you are not that old when you hit 140cm, and there are a lot of children who goes on thrill rides, with their older siblings, there parents and also alone, so I feel that all family parks should provide one thrill ride, so everyone can be happy.

I rode Extreme for the first time when I was 12, and I would have gone 1-2 year earlier if I was not such a slow grower.

Will the ride end up at Skara? I really doubt it, but I would defiantly be glad if it did, since the park has had no real thrill ride since the hot dog ride was removed, and that ride is strongly missed if you read there Facebook.

You are correct that the park are for families, but there are also a lot of teenagers going with their families.

Also remember that you are not that old when you hit 140cm, and there are a lot of children who goes on thrill rides, with their older siblings, there parents and also alone, so I feel that all family parks should provide one thrill ride, so everyone can be happy.

I rode Extreme for the first time when I was 12, and I would have gone 1-2 year earlier if I was not such a slow grower.

Will the ride end up at Skara? I really doubt it, but I would defiantly be glad if it did, since the park has had no real thrill ride since the hot dog ride was removed, and that ride is strongly missed if you read there Facebook.

As you say, Sommarland hasn't added any "mature" attractions in a long time. Water slides like Fritt Fall must have been there since mid 80-ies. Back then, they had some funny and thrilling rides, I remember the sTand up coaster that opened in 1988 (even though it wasn't as spectacular as I remembered it when I tried it in Canada a few years ago, it is now Cobra at La Ronde). I think they could use one or two rides appealing to teens and other thrill seekers, Extreme or other.

But I know for sure that my 11-year old daughter will demand a trip to where ever Extreme will end up...

With new plans for the parking lot and a starflyer replacing Extreme - what are the prospects for us to see a new major coaster at Gröna Lund considering the limited space? Especially without removing any of the old ones? Would be interesting to hear your thougths and ideas - the crazier, the better A launched coaster towards Bleckholmen, or perhaps a Tower of Terror-clone, using Fritt Fall?

• 1 month later...