TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^^Last time I visited it was a very wet morning, and the park did a great job of getting every ride up and running as soon as possible after the rain had passed. Most rides were open within 15 minutes, although Kingda Ka took a little longer (possibly due to wind). So even if the weather looks iffy you should still be OK. Some of the Safari trucks have rain protection on the sides as well, although you won't stay completely dry as the roof drips.

All the coasters will close for thunderstorms except The Dark Knight and possibly Skull Mountain.

Thunder has no bearing on operations. The park tracks lighting within a certain distance of the park. If lightning is too close the major coasters close.

I don't know much about Top Spins other than the fact that they suck, but isn't it interesting that SFNE is removing theirs the same time Great Adventure's has been closed for over a week? It seems like maybe they're going to use New England's for parts for Great Adventure as it's clearly the more popular of the two. Is that plausible?

Looks like some idiot released or dropped something on El Toro ( I'm betting they threw coins) and hit some guy in the facedecent anoint of blood.

Did they catch the person throwing stuff?

No.

That sucks.

Hey folks, I need some advice!

I havent been to this park in 20 years, Magic Mountain is my home park.

That being said, I might be able to swing by on 4th of July weekend. I know, I know, hot and crowded. Not good. But when you dont have a choice.....

So some questions!

1) Im pretty sure I want Great Adventure. Any reason to consider Hersey instead of?

2) As I mentioned, July 4th weekend.... would it be smart to assume the least crowded of those days would be the Friday (vs the 4th or Saturday).

3) If I were to buy a season pass, theyre still giving out the booklets right?

4) Does the booklet include a free ticket that can be used immediately?

5) Should I expect a wait at the season pass processing hut?

Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. Definitely Six Flags. Hershey, being a family park, will be even more crowded than Great Adventure. Plus, Hershey can't touch Great Adventure's rides and roller coasters (minus Storm Runner). EDIT: Meant to say Sky Rush, I get the names confused.

2. Idk, sorry.

3. Can't say for sure, but I got my 2012 pass mid-July and they still had booklets, most likely yes.

4. $25 bring-a-friend tickets any day in July (yes, I checked the fine print, don't worry!).

5. Get there 1/2 hour before the park opens and the pass processing hut will be open. Once in there it's a 10-20 minute wait. Maybe since it's the 4th, 30 minutes tops. My tip- get there early, and buy your pass online so you only have to process it, not buy it.

Hope I can help! Other tips:

Get to El Toro and Kingdo Ka first thing. The Nitro line will look long, but moves fast. Being in the back of the park, Bizarro usually has short lines. Don't even bother with Superman. Short ride, LONG, slow line.

Edited by alwaysairtime14

Hey folks, I need some advice!

I havent been to this park in 20 years, Magic Mountain is my home park.

That being said, I might be able to swing by on 4th of July weekend. I know, I know, hot and crowded. Not good. But when you dont have a choice.....

So some questions!

1) Im pretty sure I want Great Adventure. Any reason to consider Hersey instead of?

2) As I mentioned, July 4th weekend.... would it be smart to assume the least crowded of those days would be the Friday (vs the 4th or Saturday).

3) If I were to buy a season pass, theyre still giving out the booklets right?

4) Does the booklet include a free ticket that can be used immediately?

5) Should I expect a wait at the season pass processing hut?

Thanks!

1 - Yes, Hershey is one of the most well rounded parks and has SkyRush

2 - July 4th might be the best day to visit. It's hard to say with certainly if the 4th or 5th will be better, definitely not Saturday the 6th.

3 - Yes, they should still have booklets

4 - No SFGAdv does not have that ticket in their coupon books

5 - Possibly, I would pick up my Season pass at processing later in the day versus at opening.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. Definitely Six Flags. Hershey, being a family park, will be even more crowded than Great Adventure. Plus, Hershey can't touch Great Adventure's rides and roller coasters (minus Storm Runner). EDIT: Meant to say Sky Rush, I get the names confused.

2. Idk, sorry.

3. Can't say for sure, but I got my 2012 pass mid-July and they still had booklets, most likely yes.

4. $25 bring-a-friend tickets any day in July (yes, I checked the fine print, don't worry!).

5. Get there 1/2 hour before the park opens and the pass processing hut will be open. Once in there it's a 10-20 minute wait. Maybe since it's the 4th, 30 minutes tops. My tip- get there early, and buy your pass online so you only have to process it, not buy it.

Hope I can help! Other tips:

Get to El Toro and Kingdo Ka first thing. The Nitro line will look long, but moves fast. Being in the back of the park, Bizarro usually has short lines. Don't even bother with Superman. Short ride, LONG, slow line.

Whats the Superman equivalent in magic mountain? From the pictures, it looks like Tatsu.

If I process online, can I just cut the park line to the picture portion? In magic mountain, if you process online you can enter the hut via the exit.

So the $25 ticket has no blackout date correct?

Is there a hidden shortcut to Kingdo Ka? Or is the path well marked?

Any idea when the best time is for the safari? I dont want the animals to be asleep. How much time should I set aside, 2 hours including the line and ride?

Superman does look like Tatsu as it has the same type of track and trains.

If you walk through the safari adventures in the middle of the park, you can go from El Toro to Kingda Ka in a minute.

The ride for Safari in itself is about 1 hour and a half, so I would set aside about 4 hours for this.

I feel Hershey has just about the same if not better rides than SFGA(^and more rounded). Obviously El Toro is insane but i didnt find any other ride at the park that stood out to me, like WOW that was sweet! (Nitro disappointed) I was at Hershey last year on July 4, i think it was a Sunday, place was DEAD. The park didn't have fireworks so most people left the park around 4 and went to their festivities. Tough choice since you only have 1 day!

Hm, interesting, so if Im willing to skip the fireworks, I can expect light crowds in the evening? Does six flags have fireworks?

^^ The only line you skip is the ticket booth, you still wait for the bad check and the ticket scan. Get to the park 30 minutes before it opens.

I meant that at magic mountain, theres usually a long line at the season pass hut, but you can skip it if you just need a picture instead of the whole processing.

Hm, interesting, so if Im willing to skip the fireworks, I can expect light crowds in the evening? Does six flags have fireworks?

^^ The only line you skip is the ticket booth, you still wait for the bad check and the ticket scan. Get to the park 30 minutes before it opens.

I meant that at magic mountain, theres usually a long line at the season pass hut, but you can skip it if you just need a picture instead of the whole processing.

Ah got it. Yes, I believe the season pass line is actually two lines. One for those that just need their pictures taken.

If SFMM is your home park why are you buying your pass in NJ? Aren't the season passes much cheaper at SFMM? I know I bought mine at SFNE but that was only to save money and get free parking at all SF parks.

Edited by larrygator

We went to Great Adventure last 4th of July and had a great day. The park was dead and it was a beautiful day. There was a threat of rain that never showed up which might have something to do with the light crowds but the 4th might be a dead day in general.

Oh, and if you go to Great Adventure on the 4th and want to see the fireworks... watch them from the walkway between El Toro and the bridge to Bizarro. You get a great view and there are no crowds.

If SFMM is your home park why are you buying your pass in NJ? Aren't the season passes much cheaper at SFMM? I know I bought mine at SFNE but that was only to save money and get free parking at all SF parks.

Cheapest place to buy it is in Mexico actually. You pay like $30 for an annual pass good at all parks.

Havent been to any this year yet.

Cheapest place to buy it is in Mexico actually. You pay like $30 for an annual pass good at all parks.

Havent been to any this year yet.

3 or 4 participants bought the SF pass in Mexico during TPR's trip in March. If would not have worked out for me since the SFM pass does not include chain wide parking.

Last night I got to the park at 6:00 despite the rain. The parking lot was emptying out. Green Lantern and Superman were both running one train but they only had a two-three train wait. Green Lantern was running very well. I never had such a good ride on it. There was all kinds of weird airtime, and no headbanging.

Next we rode El Toro 3x. It was running two trains with a wait only for front row. After we hit Rolling Thunder. For some reason they still had two trains running during the rain... Aren't the skids not reliable when wet?

Last we finished off with two rides on Nitro. Nitro was still running 3 trains in the rain even though there was an empty station. The rain really hurt, but it was so worth it. The ride was very smooth as usual.