TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm headed to SFGAdv in the morning, and I'm wondering even though it's supposed to be partly cloudy tomorrow will any rides be closed because of the heavy rain we had today? Just wondering. Because I really want my Ka credit tomorrow.

Everything will probably be open tomorrow. It's a little breezy so the Skyway might open and close a few times during the day and the parachutes might open late / not open but that's probably it.

Ka opens late sometimes but that's normal. I'm sure it will be open.

Sorry guys, but it's going to be another one of "those posts"...

Some friends and I will be visiting Great Adventure for the first time on Sunday, June 23. What can we expect in terms of crowds? If we arrive at or before opening, do you think it will be possible to ride everything we are hoping to ride? Aside from all of the coasters, I think we might be trying things like Houdini's and SkyScreamer.

Thanks!

Yesterday was a great day at the park! No lines were longer than 30-45 minutes, and Ka was only about 20 minutes all day.

They need to learn how to load a flying coaster. Even Tatsu has better operations than Superman. Bizarro also ran 3 trains and double stacked and still had no line. Green Lantern.. Meh, but I do jinks that it's better than Riddler's Revenge. Much smoother. Nitro.. It's good,but Diamondback is better. Great coasters though!

Some friends and I will be visiting Great Adventure for the first time on Sunday, June 23. What can we expect in terms of crowds? If we arrive at or before opening, do you think it will be possible to ride everything we are hoping to ride? Aside from all of the coasters, I think we might be trying things like Houdini's and SkyScreamer.

Thanks!

There are no events going on that day which is good. Since not all schools will be out by then I would expect moderate crowds (probably 10 - 15 minutes for the smaller coasters, 30 - 60 minutes for the larger coasters). Sunday mornings are usually not crowded at all so even if crowds pick up later you should be able to get a lot of rides in, between 10:30 - 12:00.

Thanks!

I always make sure to get in my rides on Kingda Ka first thing. Even better if you get there at opening, and make sure to jog there before all the other guests figure out how to get over that way.

Slight extension to the question posed above, but I'll be visiting the park for the first time on Friday, 6/21. Unfortunately, I'll need to leave the park by 3pm, but I plan on being there right at opening. My question is, which coaster should I not bother with, to ensure I can maximize my day? Mind you, i'll be going by myself and I go to SFMM fairly regularly. Should I just get a fast pass???

... Should we start the rumor mill for next years new coaster?

Im going to say, X-Flight in the old Batman and Robin location....

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 5.03.11 PM.png[/attachment]

I feel like this section of the park needs some love, it seems the other side of the park has received MANY updates in the past decade, while this side decays...

Thoughts?

Great Adventure does not need any more coasters. Get some flats and shows. When I visited the park on a Friday in June last year, the place was dead. Crowds were significantly bigger at Hersheypark midweek. Hershey is the better overall park, because there is more to do than just coasters. Great Adventure would be the best park in the chain if it was more balanced. It's coaster collection blows my home park away.

^Have to agree with this. Braved the rain to visit today as it was my only chance (have to fly out tomorrow) and managed to get on everything (when it was open) with relatively short waits. We did Dark Knight and Skull Mountain while it was raining, but if the weather hadn't improved there would have been very little to do.

Some weird ops though - Bizarro was running three trains with maybe 4-6 people on each train, but they were still stacking. Superman was the only ride with any real wait, only running the one train so queue was about 20 minutes. That was mostly due to GP not understanding how to get themselves into the restraint... a half hour wait and you didn't have five seconds to look at how other riders were getting in? Boo.

But the collection of coasters is just awesome - Batman, Nitro, Bizarro, Kingda Ka, El Toro, Superman and Green Lantern all in the one park? Amazing! Seriously any one of these would headline at a lot of parks. Great to ride Kingda Ka up into the clouds, and El Toro definitely lived up to the hype.

(grumpy old man rant starts here) School groups though, oh man, think I'd prefer the summer lines to having to listen to the incredibly noisy drivel some of those kids produce in the queue and on rides. Couldn't even hear the Dark Knight preshow over the yelling, and if Runaway Mine Train wasn't a terrible coaster to begin with it was made worse by the dumb shouting going on behind me. Most obnoxious teens I've encountered on the trip, and I was at SFA last week... (end)

Also got a chance to take the Safari tour, no wait at all. Our truck had some clear plastic rain covers on the side so we didn't get too wet (the roofs are not waterproof). Overall I thought the tour was quite good, plenty of diverse animals to see and a decent length. Due to the rain we did not stop at the outpost which I hear is a bonus. Hopefully the guides will warm up to their roles over time, ours was OK but mostly just read the script, nothing hugely memorable.

Would love to visit on a sunny day in the future - as it was I thought we'd be lucky to get in even one of the outdoor coasters and we got them all so that was a huge bonus. And the Safari would definitely be better with some good weather.

I've been to the park between 10-15 times over the last few years and never seen any of the coasters (including Kingda Ka) closed for more than a few hours at a time. That ride has actually become relatively reliable. It sometimes opens late and it has it's 20-30 minute breakdowns but they seem to have it pretty much figured out.

That is an awesome shirt!!

But I agree they worked out most of the bugs on that ride. All four times I have been at the park this year it has been running the entire day without any breakdowns. Last season it was almost always open too.

I was at the park for the first time yesterday. Had a great time with not much waiting. Only bummer is Dark Knight was closed most of the day and never was over there the few minutes it was open. I do agree the park could use some more flats. I was also visiting Dorney and thought their flats were great. GA could use some in their lineup. Also I thought Cedar Point put TTD is a great location to show it off, while GA hid Kingda Ka out of the way. TTD always has a big crowd just watching riders faces as they get ready for launch. I think the park could also put a cut through from KK to El Toro. It kind of sucked to have to walk all the way around.

There used to be a path that took you from the Golden Kingdom to Plaza Del Carnaval but they closed it in 2011 (there also were some kiddie rides and play areas along the path). During the day when Safari Discoveries is open you can walk through there to get from Kingda Ka to El Toro but it closes at 6:00.

Kingda Ka also used to have a viewing area right near the launch track where people could watch the ride but after an incident in 2005, they closed it off along with the original queue that used to take you under the launch track.

^Ugh. That sounds terrible.

Mothers/Fathers Day used to be great days to go to parks, as they'd usually be quite dead. But a lot of parks started making these 2 For 1 ticket days or similar promotions to shift the attendance for these days in a more positive direction. Now these days are quite busy at most places. I'm not sure there are any given "dead days" at most parks anymore, other than when there's bad weather.

dt

I'm a damn fool. I forgot how busy the park is on Fathers Day. And only one train on El Toro right now.

If there's a silver lining to your experience, you helped save me from heading over to the park thinking there might be a smaller crowd today.

I'm a damn fool. I forgot how busy the park is on Fathers Day. And only one train on El Toro right now.

If there's a silver lining to your experience, you helped save me from heading over to the park thinking there might be a smaller crowd today.

I left the park by 2 and people were still pouring in. Luckily many of the guests were not there just to ride the coasters. However, these casual riders slowed down operations considerably by not knowing things like how to fasten a seat belt.

[Question, looking at Google Maps, what part of Kingda Ka's queue is still used and what part is closed? [attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

The set of switchbacks at the bottom of the picture is the only part still used- path to them, then to the station.

This is sort of a general Six Flags question, but I went to GADV a few years ago and if I recall correctly the Gold Flash Pass advertised that the wait time was reduced by 75% (although that was a little understated as 3 hour lines were reduced to 6 minutes), but now its advertised on their website at a reduction of 50%. Did they actually increase the wait time for Gold Flash Pass users, or is the advertised number just so that the Platinum Flash Pass looks better?