TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

So as I am having trouble finding info on it does Zumanjaro have a confirmed media day? And if so will it be open to club Tpr members because I may join? (sorry if this is off topic but this is my guess as to where I should ask this question)

So as I am having trouble finding info on it does Zumanjaro have a confirmed media day? And if so will it be open to club Tpr members because I may join? (sorry if this is off topic but this is my guess as to where I should ask this question)

I have not heard of the confirmed Media Day.

Media Day is usually only open to members of the media that the park invites. That's why they call it media day. If it becomes open to enthusiasts groups, Robb will notify ClubTPR members. As a point of reference, the most recent Media Day events at SFGAdv (Green Lantern, SkyScreamer, Safari Off Road Adventure) were only for invited media.

Edited by larrygator

^Last summer when I rode nitro I found there was quite a rough spot on the bottom of the first drop. I've also heard people complaining about the overall lack of smoothness (this I can't confirm myself). I don't know exactly what can be done to improve this but it probably is more important than painting parts of the station (which is still better than nothing, though). But I'll wait to see how far they go taking care of it.

when I rode Nitro at coasters after dark, I dodnt remember what train it was, but I was in the 2nd to last row, and had the worst ride ever. it was so bumpy, and it felt like the row was being rocked side to side, horrible. must have been something with that train and row, because the other few rides I rode, was nothing like that.

We figured this out today in exactly the same row. It's train C. The train letter is on the side of each row... trains A and B are great, but by the end of the day we ended up letting people go ahead of us to make sure we weren't in train C. The non-enthusiast friends we were with got off saying that the ride really hurt (they were right) and after awhile we figured out that the secret was to avoid train c... if you do that you'll be fine.

^ I'll confirm that note on train C on Nitro roughness. In the back (the only place I ride) it's really rough. There is a lot of vertical vibration on the entire course. Trains A & B aren't bad. It has gotten rougher since last season. I've been there the last 2 days and I'll be there again today.

I just wanted to mention a few other things I mentioned yesterday now that I'm not exhausted...

1) Strangely Bizarro had a really long line yesterday. We actually skipped it because of this but I was really happy to see the ride getting some love.

2) Nitro's crews were horrendous yesterday. They're normally some of the best in the park but they were triple stacking on every cycle. Also, as I mentioned above... if you ride it avoid train C.

3) We did the Safari for the first time since it's opening weekend which was a disaster and we absolutely loved it. The line was only 30 minutes and we probably spent a good 2 1/2 hours on it. It's a really great experience.

4) El Toro really needs some track work in the valleys (especially before the turnaround) as it's starting to get a little rough (nothing too bad yet but hopefully they do some work on it before it gets much worse). To avoid this... ride it in the middle row of any car and you'll have a really smooth ride. Riding in the front or back of any car will result in some roughness though.

5) Apparently the park has some new lion cubs out in Camp Aventura. The female cub is the cutest little thing in the history of ever. If you get a chance, you have to go out there soon and see these cubs.

6) For some reason, Batman had no line yesterday while Nitro had a 30 minute wait (usually Batman's line is at least down the stairs). Because of this we got 3 rides in the front within a span of about 30 minutes. Batman was running OMFG insane yesterday... I've always said it was the smoothest coaster in the park (though no ride in the park is rough except for Green Lantern and Nitro in train C) and it's still riding as smooth as glass but it was tearing through the course last night. What an amazing, underrated ride.

7) Yet again, the park was running both sides of the Skyride which they never used to do. Kudos to Six Flags for doing this as it really helps capacity.

^Last summer when I rode nitro I found there was quite a rough spot on the bottom of the first drop. I've also heard people complaining about the overall lack of smoothness (this I can't confirm myself). I don't know exactly what can be done to improve this but it probably is more important than painting parts of the station (which is still better than nothing, though). But I'll wait to see how far they go taking care of it.

when I rode Nitro at coasters after dark, I dodnt remember what train it was, but I was in the 2nd to last row, and had the worst ride ever. it was so bumpy, and it felt like the row was being rocked side to side, horrible. must have been something with that train and row, because the other few rides I rode, was nothing like that.

We figured this out today in exactly the same row. It's train C. The train letter is on the side of each row... trains A and B are great, but by the end of the day we ended up letting people go ahead of us to make sure we weren't in train C. The non-enthusiast friends we were with got off saying that the ride really hurt (they were right) and after awhile we figured out that the secret was to avoid train c... if you do that you'll be fine.

where is the rides maintenance dept to fix the problem? with the park not in daily operations, why is the train not being kept in the gargage till its fixed? they should be embarrassed for running that train in that condition.

I agree... I'd rather they take it off and run 2 trains if they had to than run that train (especially since they stack all 3 anyway). Everyone including non-enthusiasts is complaining about the ride when they get off that train.

I was under the impression that Nitro had a similar problem with one train last year, too. I never rode in whichever train or car it was, but I remember hearing people complaining about rough rides before the park closed for the season.

It did, and I may be wrong but I think it was the same train.

I was under the impression that Nitro had a similar problem with one train last year, too. I never rode in whichever train or car it was, but I remember hearing people complaining about rough rides before the park closed for the season.

It did, and I may be wrong but I think it was the same train.

more proof to prove SFGAdv maintenance sucks.

Batman was running OMFG insane yesterday... I've always said it was the smoothest coaster in the park (though no ride in the park is rough except for Green Lantern and Nitro in train C) and it's still riding as smooth as glass but it was tearing through the course last night. What an amazing, underrated ride.

I agree. I've said this plenty of times but when I rode it last summer it was (obviously) intense and I got silky smooth rides with not one bit of headbanging whatsoever (both in the front and very back). I am amazed by this as the ride was then 20 years old and it has all those snappy quick transitions that must put a lot of stress on the trains. Either maintenance has done a wonderful job with it or the ride is simply astonishing (well, it already is anyway )

I have ridden Nitro at least 10 or 11 times this season. I can't say that I have specifically been on train C as I never took note of it. In fact, I think two of of my three trips held the third train transferred off. This may be why I found every ride to be just as smooth as always.

I have noticed Nitro's ride operations dropping in efficiency over the past few season. Its almost depressing to see a 3 train B&M hyper with a 15 minute station wait.

I have ridden Nitro at least 10 or 11 times this season. I can't say that I have specifically been on train C as I never took note of it. In fact, I think two of of my three trips held the third train transferred off. This may be why I found every ride to be just as smooth as always.

I have noticed Nitro's ride operations dropping in efficiency over the past few season. Its almost depressing to see a 3 train B&M hyper with a 15 minute station wait.

Hopefully maintenance can sort the C train out. Nitro was known for its smoothness so it'd be a shame for its reputation to be killed. Also, the operations really depend on the crew working the ride. Some crews are faster than others based on experience and overall commitment to pumping trains out. My guess is that the newer crews are behind the stacking and once summer comes around, you should be seeing much faster operations.

SFGAdv can help with the stacking issue by getting rid of the person at the entrance and putting them in the station helping with loading and unloading. no reason for that person at the entrance.

Actually, the entrance person is the most important person working the ride. The entrance person ensures everyone is tall enough and that everyone has placed their bags in a locker before they get near the station. This greatly improves our efficiency because everyone just smoothly gets on the train. Occasionally someone slips past the entrance person with a bag and that greatly slows down our efficiency because we have to spend a few minutes talking to the person with the bag to explain to them that they will have to place their bag in a locker before they may ride. If we had no entrance person, we would have too many people who did not place their bags in lockers to deal with. Now if the park got rid of the lockers, having an entrance person would be a different story. So in this case, avoiding stacking is as simple as opening the air gates as soon as the train parks, checking restraints quickly and safely, and then sending the train out right after without any delay.

SFGAdv can help with the stacking issue by getting rid of the person at the entrance and putting them in the station helping with loading and unloading. no reason for that person at the entrance.

Actually, the entrance person is the most important person working the ride. The entrance person ensures everyone is tall enough and that everyone has placed their bags in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before they get near the station. This greatly improves our efficiency because everyone just smoothly gets on the train. Occasionally someone slips past the entrance person with a bag and that greatly slows down our efficiency because we have to spend a few minutes talking to the person with the bag to explain to them that they will have to place their bag in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before they may ride. If we had no entrance person, we would have too many people who did not place their bags in fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo to deal with. Now if the park got rid of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, having an entrance person would be a different story. So in this case, avoiding stacking is as simple as opening the air gates as soon as the train parks, checking restraints quickly and safely, and then sending the train out right after without any delay.

I remember back in the 80's and the 90's when the coasters had no entrance person, had to deal with bags and crap, and still checked the trains quicker then they do today. and if the entrance person is so important, why are attendants double checking heights again in the station and wasting time? it would be better and more efficient to then move that person into the station and do what Disney does and be a loader for the station and send all the train out full.

I remember back in the 80's and the 90's when the coasters had no entrance person, had to deal with bags and crap, and still checked the trains quicker then they do today. and if the entrance person is so important, why are attendants double checking heights again in the station and wasting time? it would be better and more efficient to then move that person into the station and do what Disney does and be a loader for the station and send all the train out full.

I see your point dude but as long as Gadv has lockers, there will be an entrance person at every ride with lockers. We're required to check heights again in the station to make sure no one who wasn't tall enough got past the entrance person. As efficient as everyone (including myself) wants a ride to run, safety still comes first.

Rode Nitro yesterday, back row, train a, 7th or 8th ride the 2014 season. Whatever issues with bumpiness Nitro is having (I can't complain) surely can't take away from the breath taking airtime on this ride Choice between bumpy nitro back seat or Green Lantern, I think the answer is clear. Or it is for me at least.

It sounds like you guys definitely need a second entrance, especially for busy days. That's how Busch did it.

One person would deal with disability passes, and fastpasses while the other dealt with bags and height check. Your chances of having bags and small children slip through are lower and you have someone to keep you company. If any bags slip through, explaining policy shouldn't take long either. Just tell them to stick it in a l0cker next time and set the bag off to the side. If you can't leave bags on the platform, just have a position at the station choke point telling people to put bags away.

Is the bag policy a new one? Seems like the park isn't ready for something like this yet.

It sounds like you guys definitely need a second entrance, especially for busy days. That's how Busch did it.

One person would deal with disability passes, and fastpasses while the other dealt with bags and height check. Your chances of having bags and small children slip through are lower and you have someone to keep you company. If any bags slip through, explaining policy shouldn't take long either. Just tell them to stick it in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo next time and set the bag off to the side. If you can't leave bags on the platform, just have a position at the station choke point telling people to put bags away.

Is the bag policy a new one? Seems like the park isn't ready for something like this yet.

No, the bag policy has been around for years. GADV strictly enforces its bag policy so absolutely no one is allowed to leave any bags on the side of the station unless it's a medical bag. We do occasionally have grouper people in the station that only height check. They usually deal with people who brought bags up but that's usually only on busy days where we are staffed for that. You'd actually think explaining the bag policy to people who slip by would be simple but it isn't actually always with the city people the park attracts. haha I've gotten a lot of attitude from people who slipped bags through the entrance. This one dude who was a Six Flags America local actually got furious with me and told me his home park was better just because I told him he couldn't ride El Toro with his fanny pack or leave it on the side.

If you height check in the station then why bother at all with checking height at the entrance. If your entrance person who's supposed to measure is letting people slip by then they're doing their job wrong. Either you measure everyone or you don't.

If you height check in the station then why bother at all with checking height at the entrance. If your entrance person who's supposed to measure is letting people slip by then they're doing their job wrong. Either you measure everyone or you don't.

It's not that the entrance person purposely lets people slip by. It gets crowded as hell there sometimes. There's only so many people you can see in a crowd of people walking through your line. haha Sometimes you miss people. However, usually bags slip through the entrance rather than people who are too short cause bags are usually harder to notice. And again, its our goal to have things flow nicely in the station so that we don't have to waste time explaining things to people who cannot ride. That's why we height check at the entrance of the line to make sure everyone is tall enough. But due to safety regulations, we do have to height check again before people board a ride. Hope that answers your question. haha

It's not that the entrance person purposely lets people slip by. It gets crowded as hell there sometimes. There's only so many people you can see in a crowd of people walking through your line. haha Sometimes you miss people. However, usually bags slip through the entrance rather than people who are too short cause bags are usually harder to notice. And again, its our goal to have things flow nicely in the station so that we don't have to waste time explaining things to people who cannot ride. That's why we height check at the entrance of the line to make sure everyone is tall enough. But due to safety regulations, we do have to height check again before people board a ride. Hope that answers your question. haha

if your going to do anything at the entrance outside to speed things up, is make the heavy people try the test seat. they are the ones that slow the line down big time.

if your going to do anything at the entrance outside to speed things up, is make the heavy people try the test seat. they are the ones that slow the line down big time.

You're not the first one to suggest that actually. It's a great idea but we are technically not allowed to single out heavy people to make them try the test seat. Our world is too sensitive. haha Like when we have to kick someone off a ride for being too big, we can't even mention that they were too big to ride.