TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I've been to the park between 10-15 times over the last few years and never seen any of the coasters (including Kingda Ka) closed for more than a few hours at a time. That ride has actually become relatively reliable. It sometimes opens late and it has it's 20-30 minute breakdowns but they seem to have it pretty much figured out.

That is an awesome shirt!!

But I agree they worked out most of the bugs on that ride. All four times I have been at the park this year it has been running the entire day without any breakdowns. Last season it was almost always open too.

I was at the park for the first time yesterday. Had a great time with not much waiting. Only bummer is Dark Knight was closed most of the day and never was over there the few minutes it was open. I do agree the park could use some more flats. I was also visiting Dorney and thought their flats were great. GA could use some in their lineup. Also I thought Cedar Point put TTD is a great location to show it off, while GA hid Kingda Ka out of the way. TTD always has a big crowd just watching riders faces as they get ready for launch. I think the park could also put a cut through from KK to El Toro. It kind of sucked to have to walk all the way around.

There used to be a path that took you from the Golden Kingdom to Plaza Del Carnaval but they closed it in 2011 (there also were some kiddie rides and play areas along the path). During the day when Safari Discoveries is open you can walk through there to get from Kingda Ka to El Toro but it closes at 6:00.

Kingda Ka also used to have a viewing area right near the launch track where people could watch the ride but after an incident in 2005, they closed it off along with the original queue that used to take you under the launch track.

^Ugh. That sounds terrible.

Mothers/Fathers Day used to be great days to go to parks, as they'd usually be quite dead. But a lot of parks started making these 2 For 1 ticket days or similar promotions to shift the attendance for these days in a more positive direction. Now these days are quite busy at most places. I'm not sure there are any given "dead days" at most parks anymore, other than when there's bad weather.

dt

I'm a damn fool. I forgot how busy the park is on Fathers Day. And only one train on El Toro right now.

If there's a silver lining to your experience, you helped save me from heading over to the park thinking there might be a smaller crowd today.

I'm a damn fool. I forgot how busy the park is on Fathers Day. And only one train on El Toro right now.

If there's a silver lining to your experience, you helped save me from heading over to the park thinking there might be a smaller crowd today.

I left the park by 2 and people were still pouring in. Luckily many of the guests were not there just to ride the coasters. However, these casual riders slowed down operations considerably by not knowing things like how to fasten a seat belt.

[Question, looking at Google Maps, what part of Kingda Ka's queue is still used and what part is closed? [attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

The set of switchbacks at the bottom of the picture is the only part still used- path to them, then to the station.

This is sort of a general Six Flags question, but I went to GADV a few years ago and if I recall correctly the Gold Flash Pass advertised that the wait time was reduced by 75% (although that was a little understated as 3 hour lines were reduced to 6 minutes), but now its advertised on their website at a reduction of 50%. Did they actually increase the wait time for Gold Flash Pass users, or is the advertised number just so that the Platinum Flash Pass looks better?

^Based on my experience at a few SF parks lately (DK, NE, MM) the Gold pass makes you wait about 25% of the posted wait time (e.g. if posted wait time is 2 hours you will wait about 30 minutes). However the amount of queue you actually get to skip really depends on the ride, as some stations can hold 7-8 trains' worth of riders.

Staying in Philadelphia and out of the blue decided that tomorrow we might go to Great Adventure. However we would only be able to stay to about 1 or 2. So a few questions:

1) Is it better to go to Ka or Toro first? (Personally I would like to do Toro a few times)

2) We expect it to be crowded, but we don't have the need to do a bunch of the coasters that are cloned in other SF parks, so should we still get Flash Pass?

3) Where does Flash Pass put you (is it station or do they have certain cars)?

Thanks

Does anybody know which local places (grocery stores, fast food places, etc.) carry coupons for Great Adventure (and, if you know, how much off they're for)? My friend and I are coming up next weekend, and if there's a $25 off coupon floating around somewhere I'd rather get it than order online because it seems that they've started charging an $8 processing fee, and that's more than a little absurd.

Staying in Philadelphia and out of the blue decided that tomorrow we might go to Great Adventure. However we would only be able to stay to about 1 or 2. So a few questions:

1) Is it better to go to Ka or Toro first? (Personally I would like to do Toro a few times)

2) We expect it to be crowded, but we don't have the need to do a bunch of the coasters that are cloned in other SF parks, so should we still get Flash Pass?

3) Where does Flash Pass put you (is it station or do they have certain cars)?

Thanks

1. I would say it depends on what you'd rather do. If you go to Toro first, you can probably go on 3-5 times walking on before a line starts. The downside to that is there's a longer line for Ka than you would for Toro. If you only need 1 ride on each, I'd say do Ka first because that gets crowded quicker and Toro has a shorter wait. So if you want more runs, go to Toro first. If you want a less lengthy wait, go to Ka first.

2. Since you're only staying until 1 or 2, I would say you can skip flash pass if you only need the Big 3. It'll be difficult to get Superman and Green Lantern in without it (though I'd say Green Lantern isn't worth it).

3. Depends on the ride. Most put you right in the entrance of the queue except Ka which puts you a little before that.

Hope this helps.

I am going to the park on friday (june 28) and I'm getting the platinum flash pass. What type of crowds should I expect?? It might rain, do what rides will close?? What about thunder storms?? What should my waits be with the Platinum flash Pass?? Safari?? PLEASE HELP!

I just went to the park last week and used the plat flash pass. I was kind of disappointed at where we mixed into line on some rides. On Kingda Ka we still waited 15 minutes. On some rides it depends on timing. El Toro we were let in the line right after they released a large amount in the station. 2 minutes earlier we would of waited 1 or 2 trains but since we came in just at a bad time we waited 6 or 7 trains. Most rides you get let into the station but the station can be kind of crowded.

I would go with El Toro. That ride is unlike any other ride I have ever been on. It is amazing. Kingda Ka is cool but it only last 30 seconds and there is a similar ride elsewhere.

Edit to add: When I went the Gold and Plat were only waiting minutes and when you get into line on a ride the worker cleared my flash pass and I signed up for the next ride. By the time I was exiting the ride my next ride was available. Lines were about 30 for non-flashers. I think Gold is a better deal unless you really want the ride twice deal.

I just went to the park last week and used the plat flash pass. I was kind of disappointed at where we mixed into line on some rides. On Kingda Ka we still waited 15 minutes. On some rides it depends on timing. El Toro we were let in the line right after they released a large amount in the station. 2 minutes earlier we would of waited 1 or 2 trains but since we came in just at a bad time we waited 6 or 7 trains. Most rides you get let into the station but the station can be kind of crowded.

I would go with El Toro. That ride is unlike any other ride I have ever been on. It is amazing. Kingda Ka is cool but it only last 30 seconds and there is a similar ride elsewhere.

Edit to add: When I went the Gold and Plat were only waiting minutes and when you get into line on a ride the worker cleared my flash pass and I signed up for the next ride. By the time I was exiting the ride my next ride was available. Lines were about 30 for non-flashers. I think Gold is a better deal unless you really want the ride twice deal.

For the ride twice deal, do you literally get to stay on? and with the plat. flash pass, can i chooses where i want to sit? And what rides are closed down right now?

You get to choose where you want to sit for all rides except Skull Mountain where you get car 5. All other coasters merge at the station with the regular line. You get to stay on the ride without leaving your seat for the 2nd ride.

The only ride closed right now is Twister (it has been closed since at least last week)

You get to choose where you want to sit for all rides except Skull Mountain where you get car 5. All other coasters merge at the station with the regular line. You get to stay on the ride without leaving your seat for the 2nd ride.

The only ride closed right now is Twister (it has been closed since at least last week)

How will RIdes hold up in thunder storms???? Will they close?