TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The park was crowded today as well, but it doesn't sound as bad as yesterday. All the major coasters had 30+ minute waits with Superman and Green Lantern both over an hour. I rode the other coasters like Skull Mountain, Runaway Mine Train and Dark Knight waiting 5 - 10 minutes for each and waited 45 minutes for Nitro.

The thing I noticed about Green Lantern is that it takes a lot of time to get people seated. Some try to sit... that was fun to watch - others legs completely bent. It is definitely one of the slower loading coasters. Bizarro was cycling very quick and efficiently when I was there 6/10/12. I seem to have picked a great day for going compared to last weekend. Whew!

I think I must have been lucky as I went on Wednesday and Thursday and didn't have to wait more than 5 mins for Nitro and El Toro all day. Superman was painful to wait for though, couldn't believe how slow they load that ride compared to other flyers. Making the second train wait on the brake run for 3 or 4 mins every time is unacceptable.

I couldn't believe how bad my rides were on Kingda Ka compared to Dragster which I had ridden a week earlier. Luckily I only had to wait 10 mins max which I realize is very fortunate. How the heck did Kingda get so rough, has it always been like this? Not only is the launch not as powerful and the restraints much more restrictive than Dragster, it crawls over the top (got some great air on TTD) and you feel like the train is just going to fall apart at any moment due to the violent shaking from side to side. It's very kind to say it has some slight "rattle" as I thought it was one of the roughest rides of my 12 park tour.

Okay, so I believe we are going to Six Flags Great Adventure. I just want to know what some of the rides are like and if I should make them priorities. Right now, this is my priority list:

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

3. Batman: The Ride

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Skull Mountain

6. The Dark Knight

7. Runaway Mine Train

8. Kingda Ka???

Okay, so I believe we are going to Six Flags Great Adventure. I just want to know what some of the rides are like and if I should make them priorities. Right now, this is my priority list:

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Skull Mountain

6. The Dark Knight

7. Runaway Mine Train

8. Kingda Ka???

The parachute tower since there aren't many left in the world. Also, Houdini is unique to SFNE and SFGADV, so I'd check that out as well. If you're into water rides, then check out the log flume at the park is one of my favorites, but the rapids is one of my least favorites.

I'd also put Bizarro on your priority list! It's not my favorite, but all the effects are cool.

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Skull Mountain

6. The Dark Knight

7. Runaway Mine Train

8. Kingda Ka???

I'd move Kingda Ka up. It may not be a great ride, but surely it's more enjoyable than Runaway Mine Train. Also Bizarro is a very good floorless coaster, so I'd add that to the list as well!

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Skull Mountain

6. The Dark Knight

7. Runaway Mine Train

8. Kingda Ka???

I'd put Kingda Ka at third priority, and Bizarro at fourth. They aren't the best coasters out there, but they are good rides. Superman also belongs on there if you haven't done a flying coaster before. Dark Knight, Rolling Thunder, and Runaway Mine Train really belong on a second tier list unless you're after all the credits (in which case Green Lantern would be a priority as well).

For non-coaster rides, I'd recommend you make sure to do Houdini since it's one of only two madhouses in the US, and the Dream Street Skyway since it will save a lot of walking and gives good views of the park. The parachute tower is unique, but it is somewhat boring and not worth waiting more than ten minutes for.

I'd move Kingda Ka up. It may not be a great ride, but surely it's more enjoyable than Runaway Mine Train. Also Bizarro is a very good floorless coaster, so I'd add that to the list as well!

Yeah, totally add Bizarro, and move Rolling Thunder all the way down the list. I'd add Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train as well, it's a whole lot of fun in the back rows.

As for Runaway Mine Train - if you've ever played RollerCoaster Tycoon, you totally need to ride it. It feels EXACTLY like a ride you would make in that game. So, if you ever wondered what an RCT mine train would feel like in real life, ride it!

If you want you can sneak in S:UF at around 3-4. It had a 3 hour line in early afternoon, died down to walk-on at 3:30 when I went, and I heard that's what normally happens during the Summer. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I've already ridden Houdini (SFNE), and that just made me sick. But, I am open to ride it again as I can mentally prepare myself. Bizarro is one I am going to add to the list, but it isn't that high. Here is an updated priority list with all rides:

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

4. Saw Mill Log Flume (What can I say, I'm a sucker for log flumes)

5. Congo Rapids (I'm also a sucker for rapids rides)

6. Kingda Ka

7. Superman - Ultimate Flight

8. Bizarro

9. Runaway Mine Train

10. Rolling Thunder

11. Skull Mountain

12. The Dark Knight Coaster

13. Houdini: The Great Escape

14. Fender Benders

15. SkyScreamer???

Just curious, what are crowds like on the 4th? I imagine that the park is doing some special stuff so it'll be packed?

And what about the holiday week in general? I'm going on July 3rd and was wondering if it would be crowded (more than usual, anyway) by virtue of it being so close to July 4th. Of course, I'm prepared to pay for a Gold Flash Pass if need be, but it would be nice to not have to spend $168 for 3 people.

I've already ridden Houdini (SFNE), and that just made me sick. But, I am open to ride it again as I can mentally prepare myself. Bizarro is one I am going to add to the list, but it isn't that high. Here is an updated priority list with all rides:

1. El Toro

2. Nitro

4. Saw Mill Log Flume (What can I say, I'm a sucker for log flumes)

5. Congo Rapids (I'm also a sucker for rapids rides)

6. Kingda Ka

7. Superman - Ultimate Flight

8. Bizarro

9. Runaway Mine Train

10. Rolling Thunder

11. Skull Mountain

12. The Dark Knight Coaster

13. Houdini: The Great Escape

14. Fender Benders

15. SkyScreamer???

Bizarro is still a little too low on this list. Don't ride Rolling Thunder unless you're a masochist or a hardcore credit whore. Batman and Superman are both fun rides, but I would consider them lower priority unless you've never been on a clone of either. Also, what about Green Lantern? If you go on a good day, you should have no trouble hitting all of the important rides, but if it's disgustingly crowded, I would make sure to get on El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, Kingda Ka, and Green Lantern at whatever cost.

I don't understand why anyone would have a list of priorities like that...just go do everything the park has to offer. Go for a day and you'll have more than enough time to ride every coaster and any flats you want. We can usually manage to finish the park by 3pm, depending on how terrible the Superman and Green Lantern lines are. By that time the place is getting more crowded, but there's no reason not to plan to ride everything.

^ Agreed! And the park has A LOT to offer. I understand if you go there often; then you already know what you want to ride. But if it's your first time, just try to hit everything and don't worry about the order. As coasterfreak101 said, you can finish the whole park in one day, provided lines aren't terrible. Even if they are, flash pass works wonders. Totally worth the money, imo.

Green Lantern is a big no-no. I am not a fan of stand up coasters. NONE! And also coasterfreak, it is easier for me to know what rides I want to ride ahead of time than to figure out the day of. I find it more convenient.

^^^Yeah, I think I've mostly given up on trying to make extensive "park plans" unless they were suggested by others or at least seem really obvious. I found I kept wanting to put favorites and new credits first when that's often far from the best way to hit a given park. Plus, Q-Bots make planning a lot less important and more carefree.

I've definitely learned my lesson about staying alert to what rides I need to hit first or at certain times of day at various parks, though, having been burned by the occasional choice to ignore warnings of that sort.

Green Lantern is a big no-no. I am not a fan of stand up coasters. NONE! And also coasterfreak, it is easier for me to know what rides I want to ride ahead of time than to figure out the day of. I find it more convenient.

It's simple, you want to ride everything. Just look at a map and plan your day that way, but don't cut things out just because they aren't priorities! You'll never experience some of the hidden gems and the like that any park has to offer that way.

It's simple, you want to ride everything. Just look at a map and plan your day that way, but don't cut things out just because they aren't priorities! You'll never experience some of the hidden gems and the like that any park has to offer that way.

Basically, my priority list is everything I want to ride and I am going to ride. I just put it into a list of how much I want to ride them.